• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Any new games for Christmas?

yes! i got calico, decrypto, and crosstalk. the last two were sort of alternatives for codenames, which we always end up gravitating towards. i haven't got a chance to play decyrpto yet but crosstalk is a big hit.

anyone play Dice Thone? buddies and i have been enjoying a couple beers and rounds of that

Has anyone played Camel Up? We bought that for some friends for Christmas and actually had a pretty good time with it.

Any new games for Christmas?

In the past couple of months I have gotten:

7 Wonders Duel
Spirit Island (which I played with WakeBder like 2 years ago and loved)
Terraforming Mars
Point Salad

Enjoying them all, but really have liked Terraforming Mars and Spirit Island. Need to get into the solo versions of both of them, as I I've primarily just played with my wife.

May look into a few expansions for TM as well.

Monopoly Deal is a good quick game. Once you learn it, it’s easy to play.

Got some new games to the table this Holiday season,

-Costa Rica (press your luck game themed around wildlife photography). Good for kids or family.
-Paperback (Deck building plus word building). Very similar [mechanically] to Dominion and [thematically] to Scrabble.
-Evergreen (card drafting as means to building the most successful biome). This was beautifully constructed and clean.
-Decrypto (code making and code breaking team game). Somewhat similar to Codenames. You want to give clever clues that your team can decipher (but will confound your opponents), centered around hidden keywords. Oddly, there isn't a rule/mechanism to guess your opponent's words at the end of a game, and we looked forward to doing that, anyway.
-Cat in the Box (Schrödinger's cat themed trick-taking card game). All the cards are numbered, but suitless. Players declare the suit of their card when its played, and the games end with paradoxes when someone is unable to play. Very fun, very cool theme.

And we returned several favorites to the table,

-So Clover
-Qwinto
-Werewords
-Just One
-No Thanks!
-Wingspan
-Fuji Flush
-6 Nimmt

New Games for Christmas

Chameleon (lots of fun, similar to a code names mixed with among us)
Planes, Train, and Automobiles - 2 person collaborative game. Has been fun to play with the 12 year old
A little Crabby - Kind of like team-based spoons with a twist and hand signals
Swearmints - kind of like balderdash/what do you meme types game (vote on the best slag word/definition from cards in hand)
Bag o’ chips - haven’t played yet

My collection grew a bit more this Christmas. I haven't had a chance to play them yet, other than ones we got for my kiddo (4). Magic Mountain is pretty dope for younger kids.

Got all three expansions for Wingspan (Europe, Oceania, and Asia). Played with the Europe expansion for a few games with the base version, which was fun. Just adds different birds and some new end of round tiles.

Oceania throws in a new game mat and a nectar food that is a wild. This changes the game drastically, as the game engine really starts going early on instead of feeling like you're just getting started when the game ends with the base game and Europe. I think that is possibly more enticing for somebody playing the game for the first time since you can do more without feeling constrained. I like the idea though of maximizing your efficiency, which you don't HAVE to do to be successful with Oceania.

Asia has a new game mode that we will probably try out this weekend, as well as more bird cards/end of round tiles.

Also got Cascadia delivered yesterday (was on back order from Christmas) and we played a game last night. Really simple, fun game to learn with a lot of in-depth strategy and luck depending on tiles drawn. Easy to see why it's a huge hit, and it will get a lot of play on our table. Combo of Carcassone and Azul is the best way that I can put it in terms of games that I've played.

We just got Cascadia as well and I'm looking forward to playing. Also bought the kids version of Carcassone and they picked it right up - been really fun to play with them (I have no experience with the adult version of Carcassone, so not sure how it compares).

Anyone have resources for learning Go? I've had a basic set laying around for a few years and the rule book that came with it is like 40 pages long - just looking for a primer for getting started.

Not trolling - have you tried Wikipedia? Sometimes that makes it pretty easy to digest.

I also watch other people explain it in like 5-10 min videos on BoardGameGeek for heavier games.

Rule books can be terrible as far as getting a grasp of the overall concept.

Just tell me how to set it up, the gist of what I'm trying to do, and I'll consult the rulebook later when it pops up during the game.

Honestly, checking Wikipedia for a game overview didn't cross my mind. YouTube suggestion is a good one too - haven't used that for games yet.

Thanks!

check out the videos on the page here - one may be helpful/not too long.

Here's a short(ish) review as well

the nice thing about watching a youtube video is that you don't have to listen to one of your friends half-assedly explain how to play a game; instead you get someone who has thought about how to present this in advance.

Back