• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UNpretentious Food and Drink Thread

Aaaaaaaaaand now we're starting to get pretentious about the white sauce a

I mean, it's pretty much just mayonnaise, butter, and some spices (garlic, maybe some ketchup, etc) -- how pretentious can one be with Japanese steakhouse white sauce? Is there a place that puts truffles in it or something?

Aaaaaaaaaand now we're starting to get pretentious about the white sauce a

Man I'm not pretentious about that stuff at all. I am an equal opportunity consumer of the hibachi sauce as evidenced by my lack of filtering out restaurants.

I mean, it's pretty much just mayonnaise, butter, and some spices (garlic, maybe some ketchup, etc) -- how pretentious can one be with Japanese steakhouse white sauce? Is there a place that puts truffles in it or something?

Truffles would be pretentious. Would truffle oil be sufficiently un-pretentious? Or does any hint of truffles make a food item pretentious?

Mayo (homemade is best, but Hellmans keeps better), Water, Melted Butter, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper.

Some white sauce is defs better than other, most places vary significantly in how much tomato paste and/or sugar they put it in it.

This feels like a Pan Am flight over Libya now.

Going back to undeniably unpretentious food, my dad used to make salmon patties for me and him from canned salmon, coated with a little egg and corn meal, and cooked on a pan. Not flashy, but they got the job done.

salmonpat.jpg

Something satisfying and unpretentious: building a dagwood sandwich with every random component you can find in the fridge.

Going back to undeniably unpretentious food, my dad used to make salmon patties for me and him from canned salmon, coated with a little egg and corn meal, and cooked on a pan. Not flashy, but they got the job done.

salmonpat.jpg

My family used to do fish cakes with canned cod but they stopped selling it! My dad was actually just mentioning that he missed that meal. Maybe I should suggest salmon (though very different flavor).

Hate to break it to you, but triple burgers are actually pretentious, by definition.

That is not a triple burger. That is chicken in the middle. But I will give you that it is a pretentious McGangBang.

salmonpat.jpg
I actually made these for my kids a week ago. Add some chopped onion but otherwise your recipe is it.

Also unpretentious: brown ground beef and onion, add a can of tomatoes and some rice, cook with some water until the rice is done, add mess of cheddar. Delicious.

Back