• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UNpretentious Food and Drink Thread

i couldn't disagree more. it's REALLY CHEAP and that's it. what's pretentious about cheap?

what's unpretentious about cheap?

pre·ten·tious
/prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

well i'm probably not the one to ask but typically a product that is overpriced for the same quality as a lesser priced product gets labeled "pretentious"

whole foods is pretentious

trader joes gets lumped in as the same thing bc it's a trendy grocery store, but its prices and selection make it absolutely unpretentious in my mind

naw, whole foods has legit good stuff. tjs is crap products that gets by solely on marketing itself as a trendy place.

obv the definition of the word has take a turn in this thread, but trader joes fits the bill more than almost anything else mentioned imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, TJs pretends to not suck donkey schlong, when it actually does.

Whole Foods says they have shit I want instead of shit from Harris Teeter, and they do.

Sorry if haas, but this is one of my favorites:

top-ramen-recipes.jpg

psh. i posted those pages ago.

naw, whole foods has legit good stuff. tjs is crap products that gets by solely on marketing itself as a trendy place.

obv the definition of the word has take a turn in this thread, but trader joes fits the bill more than almost anything else mentioned imo.

this is like how literally means figuratively now

pretentious just means anything anybody likes that you don't like because you think it's fancy or nice

Hard question: Kraft Cheesy Mac or Velveeta Shells n Cheese?

this is like how literally means figuratively now

pretentious just means anything anybody likes that you don't like because you think it's fancy or nice

You literally have no idea what pretentious means, do you?

Reactions: Go
I buy frozen crap, snacks, cheap wine, staples like vinegar, oil, and pasta from TJs. If I wanna cook an actual meal I go to Teeter or Whole Foods or the farmers market (pretentious alert!).

so in your estimation, TJs prepared products are worse than other prepared products? b/c i don't know where you're getting overpriced since they are generally cheaper or the same than other grocery chains. so i guess you just mean 'overpriced food' b/c it's prepared.

if you don't like prepared foods, i don't have a problem with that. i don't really buy them that often either.

I've read a few guides to shopping at Aldi and kind of want to try it out. Apparently super cheap and it's sort of Trader Joe's totally non-pretentious little brother. Even though I'm #nervous to shop there.

Just had a big ol' baked potato (topped with chili and cheese) from McAlister's for lunch and that's a pretty safe UNpretentious food I think.

Here is the pretense:

Most importantly, we started packaging innovative, hard-to-find, great-tasting foods under the “Trader Joe’s” name.

It doesn't taste great, it's not really innovative. You can call it pretense, or you can call it false advertising, or you can call it flat out lying.

http://www.traderjoes.com/our-story

I've read a few guides to shopping at Aldi and kind of want to try it out. Apparently super cheap and it's sort of Trader Joe's totally non-pretentious little brother. Even though I'm #nervous to shop there.

Just had a big ol' baked potato (topped with chili and cheese) from McAlister's for lunch and that's a pretty safe UNpretentious food I think.

Pack heat.

Back