• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UNpretentious Food and Drink Thread

My mother-in-law shops at Aldi and it's so damn weird when we go to her house and all the food are these weird brands I've never heard of and just seem slightly off.

I've read a few guides to shopping at Aldi and kind of want to try it out. Apparently super cheap and it's sort of Trader Joe's totally non-pretentious little brother. Even though I'm #nervous to shop there.

Just had a big ol' baked potato (topped with chili and cheese) from McAlister's for lunch and that's a pretty safe UNpretentious food I think.

I've only been shopping at Aldi once, and it's definitely a different experience from a "normal" grocery store. But it is INSANELY cheap. Probably won't cover everything for a normal shopping trip (or if you need specific ingredients for a recipe), but definitely can stock up on some stuff there. I need to go back.

Don't forget your quarter for the shopping cart! And reusable bags to pack up your groceries yourself.

:rolleyes:

At least they aren't jacking up the prices. Literally every single fucking grocery chain says and does this shit, most just charge more.

Nuh-uh.

tumblr_lrmlh3kcn11r36s0bo1_500.gif

They don't act like their private label shit is god's gift to food innovation. They might try to tell you it's just as good as the national manufacturer shit they sell.

Look up the "About Us" or "Our Story" or "Our Mission" for every major grocery chain in the country and you'll see some combination of quality and price. Asinine stuff, biff.

Look up the "About Us" or "Our Story" or "Our Mission" for every major grocery chain in the country and you'll see some combination of quality and price. Asinine stuff, biff.

Not the same as every major grocery chain in the country isn't purporting to sell you some sort of differentiated frozen food.

But have fun with the websites.

naw, whole foods has legit good stuff. tjs is crap products that gets by solely on marketing itself as a trendy place.

obv the definition of the word has take a turn in this thread, but trader joes fits the bill more than almost anything else mentioned imo.

Exactly. If your target market is yoga pants and teh gheys, then you are pretentious.

Biff is all kinds of wrong about TJs. Trendy =/= pretentious

We shop Aldi sometimes. Cheap and good, and not dangerous unless you're afraid of little old ladies trying to make their Social Security check stretch farther.

You want some unpretentious shopping? Hit up the Super G Mart on West Market in GSO. More Asian and Latin American weird foodstuffs than you can shake a chalupa at, nobody speaks English, and the whole back of the store is a giant fish market with Asian dudes chopping the heads off of huge carp. Best selection of seafood in the Triad. Place is amazing.

OFY

Scrapple and livermush are underrated breakfast meats.

Blech. Wolf1297 had me try a bite of his scrapple the last time we were visiting his cousins in PA. The texture was distinctly "eww, what is this in my mouth?" I'll let the two of you extol the virtues of these "delicacies" when we gather for the hockey game.

I love hitting up the gigantic Compare Foods on Silas Creek. Probably the largest grocery produce section in Winston along with a kick ass Mexican bakery, cheap groceries, and hard to find ethnic spices and sauces and shiz. I still don't trust their meat department though.

We shop Aldi sometimes. Cheap and good, and not dangerous unless you're afraid of little old ladies trying to make their Social Security check stretch farther.

You want some unpretentious shopping? Hit up the Super G Mart on West Market in GSO. More Asian and Latin American weird foodstuffs than you can shake a chalupa at, nobody speaks English, and the whole back of the store is a giant fish market with Asian dudes chopping the heads off of huge carp. Best selection of seafood in the Triad. Place is amazing.

do they sell kraft singles and gogurt? if not, pretentious.

you guys have some whack ideas of grocery stores if you think TJs is in the sucks category.

ever been in an IGA?

Back