• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UNpretentious Food and Drink Thread

you guys have some whack ideas of grocery stores if you think TJs is in the sucks category.

ever been in an IGA?

Yeah, dozens of them. Lots of Red & Whites and Piggly Wigglys in the middle of nowhere. For the most part they sell the same shit as your local Kroger. Some have an onsite butcher that would embarrass what the big chains have, but with lesser selection. None of them pretend to have revolutionized the production and sale of frozen pierogies and frozen tamales.

Yeah, dozens of them. Lots of Red & Whites and Piggly Wigglys in the middle of nowhere. For the most part they sell the same shit as your local Kroger. Some have an onsite butcher that would embarrass what the big chains have, but with lesser selection. None of them pretend to have revolutionized the production and sale of frozen pierogies and frozen tamales.

except the quality of the produce is garbage and the selection of other products is stupid-low quality.

except the quality of the produce is garbage and the selection of other products is stupid-low quality.

Pfft, visit the produce section of your typical Food Lion and get back to me. And Kraft Velveeta Mac & Cheese is the same unpretentious thing regardless of where you buy it.

exactly, which is why i think it's weird to put TJs into their category just b/c of their marketing campaign

Because they're pretending that their stuff is different, innovative, better. It's just lame frozen food.

Because they're pretending that their stuff is different, innovative, better. It's just lame frozen food.

less preservatives and extra shit, so it's not the same lame frozen food as food lion or walmart

tj's also has a nice inexpensive (yet good) cheese selection

Oh man, TAB doesn't like TJ's? The surprises keep on coming. No agreement, you're both wrong.

Why the fuck would anyone go to a grocery store where you can't get fresh produce and some decent booze?

I guess if you are poor and all you can afford are jacked up frozen ethnic meals, off brand cookies and $3.00 wine, then fucking have at it.

i mean, better is obvious subjective but their prepared products are superior to Giant's, Kroger's and Harris Teeters'. in my experience, anyway. especially the frozen stuff. but like i said before, i don't buy prepared stuff that often and i almost never get frozen anything except seafood b/c i live in the middle of PA

Why the fuck would anyone go to a grocery store where you can't get fresh produce and some decent booze?

I guess if you are poor and all you can afford are jacked up frozen ethnic meals, off brand cookies and $3.00 wine, then fucking have at it.
Because Obama made gas cheap and I can drive all over town to buy exactly what I want from multiple stores.

Where you getting fresh produce? Dekalb Farmers Mkt?

Whole Paycheck is a joke, pretentious prices :cam:

I like the BuHi, you gotta be super focused, can get distracted up in there.

I love hitting up the gigantic Compare Foods on Silas Creek. Probably the largest grocery produce section in Winston along with a kick ass Mexican bakery, cheap groceries, and hard to find ethnic spices and sauces and shiz. I still don't trust their meat department though.

They have really cheap avocados there - great for big batches of guac. Hmm maybe I should make some for the Super Bowl.

Trader Joe's has a bunch of fresh produce and some good local beer options...

I saw a palmetto bug the size of a small pigeon at the TJs in Buckhead. Flew right over me and landed on the bananas.

I kinda did the whole look around, see if anyone else saw him and then left. I know all grocery stores have problems esp in the summertime but that grossed me out at that moment. Thank god no one else saw it, would have caused a panic.

Great take here on the problem with Whole Foods: its angry customers: https://medium.com/culture-club/americas-angriest-store-d778c31aa9be

The problem with Whole Foods is their regular customers. They are, across the board, across the country, useless, ignorant, and miserable. They’re worse than miserable, they’re angry. They are quite literally the opposite of every Whole Foods employee I’ve ever encountered. Walk through any store any time of day—but especially 530pm on a weekday or Saturday afternoon during football season—and invariably you will encounter a sneering, disdainful horde of hipster Zombies and entitled 1%ers.

:bowrofl:

We shop Aldi sometimes. Cheap and good, and not dangerous unless you're afraid of little old ladies trying to make their Social Security check stretch farther.

You want some unpretentious shopping? Hit up the Super G Mart on West Market in GSO. More Asian and Latin American weird foodstuffs than you can shake a chalupa at, nobody speaks English, and the whole back of the store is a giant fish market with Asian dudes chopping the heads off of huge carp. Best selection of seafood in the Triad. Place is amazing.

That place is CRAY. Going there feels like a field trip.

Trader Joe's has a bunch of fresh produce and some good local beer options...

I cant say Ive canvassed every crappy TJs but the ones in ATL stink. The produce sections are super wimpy. The last time I went (i) you couldn't buy like a single yellow onion, but only a bag of like 10, and (ii) they didn't even have any lemons.

WTF. Never again.

I try TJs every 3 months and then realize that was a dumb idea

I cant say Ive canvassed every crappy TJs but the ones in ATL stink. The produce sections are super wimpy. The last time I went (i) you couldn't buy like a single yellow onion, but only a bag of like 10, and (ii) they didn't even have any lemons.

WTF. Never again.
Last time you shop at a store without lemons, amirite?!
berlin-memorial-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back