• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UNpretentious Food and Drink Thread

TJ's has produce and a good beer/wine section in my neck of the woods

We shop Aldi sometimes. Cheap and good, and not dangerous unless you're afraid of little old ladies trying to make their Social Security check stretch farther.

You want some unpretentious shopping? Hit up the Super G Mart on West Market in GSO. More Asian and Latin American weird foodstuffs than you can shake a chalupa at, nobody speaks English, and the whole back of the store is a giant fish market with Asian dudes chopping the heads off of huge carp. Best selection of seafood in the Triad. Place is amazing.

sounds pretentious. ethnic food.

this thread just reads like "southern whites with bad taste and worse options."

347.gif

trader joes is great for some things, but i do agree that their produce isn't the best. i too get frustrated with the bulk-only options of some things and generally find their bananas to not be good (and i eat a TON of bananas).

that said, we all know how i feel about cookie butter, their beer prices for local brews are better than any other place, they have good cheap wine, and if you're entertaining last-minute they have a ton of good crowd-pleasing prepared and frozen food that's better than totino's and bagel bites. (oh sweet mary i would DESTROY some bagel bites right now and not even care about burning the shit out of my mouth. do they still make those?!)

Fresh Market is my favorite grocery store. It's the definition of pretentious, but so are most things I do. Par for the course.

I believe bagel bites are still around

For a quick dinner sometimes we do mini bagels topped with red sauce, mozzarella, and mini pepperonis. Yuuum

just to catch up.

Salmon Patties are not pretentious and were the first meal my Mother made for my Father after getting married. At the time they lived in a trailer near what is now Cary and he was a student at State. They are also delicious.

Aldi is not pretentious and actually quite awesome and better than buying your groceries at Walmart.

Pretentious - Whole Foods, Earthfare, Trader Joes and Fresh Market. I love the stores but laugh at the customers and the prices. Chain Butcher shops area also pretentious. Butchering your own meat and buying direct from a Farm or a place like Nahunta (pork products direct from farmers) is not pretentious.

Large Farmer's markets and "popup" farmer's markets are pretentious. Rural road side vegetable stands and backyard gardens are not pretentious (unless you post pictures of your backyard garden on Pinterest and other social media and brag about "heirloom" varieties.)

Produce and Seafood cooperatives that deliver boxes of stuff directly to your house or a pickup location are pretentious.

Last edited:
buying fresh produce directly from farmers for cheaper prices than any grocery store is so pretentious.

i always wear my monocle and tophat when i go to the farmer's market to save money.

Outside of Dekalb and Buford Hwy, Atlanta's "farmers markets" are mostly pretentious, like for reals.

i've never stepped foot in trader joe's. i am the height of unpretentious.

Super Bowl Unpretentious Dip

1 block of Velveeta
Can of ro-tel
Can of beanless Hormel Chili
Can of stewed tomatoes

Serve with Tostitos Scoops and/or Fritos Scoops

just to catch up.

Salmon Patties are not pretentious and were the first meal my Mother made for my Father after getting married. At the time they lived in a trailer near what is now Cary and he was a student at State. They are also delicious.

Aldi is not pretentious and actually quite awesome and better than buying your groceries at Walmart.

Pretentious - Whole Foods, Earthfare, Trader Joes and Fresh Market. I love the stores but laugh at the customers and the prices. Chain Butcher shops area also pretentious. Butchering your own meat and buying direct from a Farm or a place like Nahunta (pork products direct from farmers) is not pretentious.

Large Farmer's markets and "popup" farmer's markets are pretentious. Rural road side vegetable stands and backyard gardens are not pretentious (unless you post pictures of your backyard garden on Pinterest and other social media and brag about "heirloom" varieties.)

Produce and Seafood cooperatives that deliver boxes of stuff directly to your house or a pickup location are pretentious.

Wait. So its unpretentious to buy meat directly from a farm, but if said farm drives some product to the State Farmers Market (a large farmers market) and I pick it up on Saturday, still buying directly from them becomes pretentious? LOLWUT

Back