• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Palin "seriously interested" in running

In a country where Honey Boo Boo drew a larger tv audience than the RNC, she's got a puncher's chance.

In a country where Honey Boo Boo drew a larger tv audience than the RNC, she's got a puncher's chance.

There are definitely people that are huge fans. I take it as my profession to convince as many as I can of the idiocy of that stance. She has no chance of winning. If anything I think she will make it more likely that a moderate Pub wins the nomination as she would syphon off a lot of the crazy votes if she runs. She would kill Cruz's chances in the primaries.

There are definitely people that are huge fans. I take it as my profession to convince as many as I can of the idiocy of that stance. She has no chance of winning. If anything I think she will make it more likely that a moderate Pub wins the nomination as she would syphon off a lot of the crazy votes if she runs. She would kill Cruz's chances in the primaries.

I wonder if Democrats are setting up a CPAC to finance her campaign.

Don't think she runs either, but the Tea Party never seems to get there's only a finite amount of running room for them in a crowded primary field, especially since the establishment candidates (Jeb, Christie, or Mitt) are better funded.

Moderates/establishment are hosed if all of Jeb, Christie, and Mitt run, but they'll do just fine if only 1 or 2 run. They'd really ratfuck social conservatives if they skipped Iowa altogether and let the others cannibalize each other. There's not enough room in the primaries for Palin, Cruz, Santorum, Huckabee, Perry, and Carson. Jindal's tilting perilously close to Cruz/Perry land when he wants to be taking votes from Walker and Kasich instead. Establishment's hoping they can can convince Bachmann and Cain to run again.

If Palin does run, will be interesting to see if Taylor Swift lets her keep using her song. Palin's supporters skew really old and Swift won't be hurt by their objections. Would be awesome to see Sarah's girls fight Swift. They'd pull her jersey over her head and beat her with hockey sticks.

"Shake It Off" is a perfect Sarah Palin song.

Good lord, I just realized that the Iowa Caucus isn't until January of 2016. We're in for a long haul here, people.

Where does Rand Paul fit into that scenario? It's hard for me to pigeon-hole him into any group. He seems to travel to the beat of his own drummer.

Establishment (Jeb, Christie*, Mitt), sitting Governors (Walker, Kasich, Jindal*, Pence*), Social Conservatives (Huckabee, Santorum, Perry, Palin, Carson) and sitting Senators (Rand, Rubio, Cruz*). People with asterisks may be in multiple spots. Christie is a sitting Gov, and Jindal, Pence, and Cruz are competing with social conservatives.

Sounds like Rand is competing with Walker for Koch Brother support. Rubio and Cruz are in that hunt too, but the Kochs are socially libertarian and they won't put up with an overemphasis on social issues.

Even weirder with one non-incumbent likely candidate from the other party.

That is 15 names you listed. I know that some will fade out fairly quickly, but still, that's a helluva logjam at the starting gate!

A week or two ago CBS's Face the Nation listed more than 20 GOP possibilities for 2016. Palin and Trump weren't on the list, but Carly Fiorina, Peter King, John Bolton, Lindsey Graham, and George Pataki were.

Even weirder with one non-incumbent likely candidate from the other party.

Thats "weirder" because I just don't buy the Clinton inevitability thesis. I have said it many times but the Clinton political machine is the most overrated entity in American politics. The Clintons have now run three national campaigns and have yet to gain one 50% vote total. If they were the great machine that everyone claims you would think they could have convinced half the electorate to vote for them in at least one of those races. Hell...without crazy man Perot there would be no Clintons. I don't see why everyone is scared of them. If Warren (or any number of Dems for that matter) would run a serious campaign they could easily challenge her.

Bill twice and Hill once.

A primary where half the electorate cannot vote is not a national election, IMO. And I am not a Hillary supporter by any stretch.

And 49.2% (1996) might as well be 50% when 3 people are in the race. You are also the guy that hates that we just have a 2 party system in America, right?

Thats "weirder" because I just don't buy the Clinton inevitability thesis. I have said it many times but the Clinton political machine is the most overrated entity in American politics. The Clintons have now run three national campaigns and have yet to gain one 50% vote total. If they were the great machine that everyone claims you would think they could have convinced half the electorate to vote for them in at least one of those races. Hell...without crazy man Perot there would be no Clintons. I don't see why everyone is scared of them. If Warren (or any number of Dems for that matter) would run a serious campaign they could easily challenge her.

Completely agree with this. I'll add that Hillary's inevitability has more to do with the Democrats' inability to develop a bench and gender politics than it does with Hillary herself. The best contenders right now are Hillary, Warren, and Gillibrand. Only one will run to make sure there aren't women beating up each other in the primary.

Had they beaten Obama, who was a juggernaut in his own right, the Clintons would have likely posted very similar numbers to Obama. Bill was in three party races both times, and while Perot clearly hurt the GOP more than Clinton, Perot was also the beneficiary of votes that would have gone to Clinton.

I'm not suggesting that Clinton is unbeatable in the general election, but who in the hell is going to beat her in the primary?

Had they beaten Obama, who was a juggernaut in his own right, the Clintons would have likely posted very similar numbers to Obama. Bill was in three party races both times, and while Perot clearly hurt the GOP more than Clinton, Perot was also the beneficiary of votes that would have gone to Clinton.

I'm not suggesting that Clinton is unbeatable in the general election, but who in the hell is going to beat her in the primary?

Any legit candidate who dares to run. Hillary has been coasting and has still lost ground and popularity. If she's actually pressured she will falter.

Any legit candidate who dares to run. Hillary has been coasting and has still lost ground and popularity. If she's actually pressured she will falter.

Bingo! Have you seen her on her book tour last year and the primary against Obama? She has been awful. Again, her invincibility is a myth. She had all the advantages in the world over Obama and he beat the dog shit out her. It is easy to see Obama as a giant now but in that primary he was a HUGE underdog and practically unknown.

Hillary is a strong primary candidate and a vulnerable general candidate. You don't want somebody representing your party who is backed by 20+ years of hate.

Back