• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why can we not finish a game?

82deacman

Reaction score
This is not rhetorical. We have been in control of the last 2 ACC road games and had real chances to win against two top 5 teams if we could have just finished those games. Not being greedy but at least 2 of the 4 would have been nice. Seems like we lose our ability to execute, make shots, make fee throws and do the simple things like rebound in the last 2 to 3 minutes of a game. Today was so frustrating! Greg Mclinton completely lost his focus.(including knocking the last rebound out of Devin's hands into the Clemson player's hand in perfect position to lay it in) Devin missed his usual free throws when we neede them. No one could make a shot. And Cody let stupid Rod Hall reach around (probably a foul) and knock the ball away after we got a great rebound. I just don't understand how all of those things go wrong at the same time.

I tend to think it mostly has to do with a lack of upper class leadership and I don't mean that as a slap against Codi and Devin. They were so poorly coached over the past 3 years there was no way to gain the experience needed. And the other players we have to depend on were not playing here last year.

What do you guys think?

It's a mixture of #hothand, not knowing how to win, and Ron Wellman.

Devin missed his usual free throws when we neede them. No one could make a shot. And Cody let stupid Rod Hall reach around (probably a foul) and knock the ball away after we got a great rebound. I just don't understand how all of those things go wrong at the same time.

These are not problems that are unique to end-game situations.

You can't win in the ACC or at any major level without a great guard who is the floor general and is capable of putting a team on his back. Just like NFL teams don't win without a great QB.

I realize a guard is not our only problem but a great guard would have won that game today. In his day, Randolph would have called the timeout HIMSELF to get the team organized.

A seasoned guard would have just taken the damn ball himself, pointed to where peopled need to be on the floor and stopped all of the silliness we see the last 2-3 minutes of these games.

We certainly have other issues but winning at this level requires and begins with a leader on the floor. We don't have one.

Last edited:
We closed out Richmond and pulled away from GaTech down the stretch. We were down 3 with 14 seconds left against Syracuse and Hudson hit a huge 3 and we got a stop to send that game to OT.

We didn't close out Louisville or Duke because they are much better teams than us. Clemson is the first true collective choke job with Devin, Codi, Hudson, and Wilbekin all missing consecutive shots - any one of which goes in and we win. Our 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th highest scorers are playing their first year at Wake. We don't have the pure skill players to take over games. After that it's confidence and experience which the majority of our roster lacks.

Winners close out games ….. Our leaders/Upperclassman must lead the way….. Winners Win Losers Go Home…..

We aren't a good 1/2 court offense team due to our deficiencies. During games when we make runs, they are usually fueled by open court play which is our strength. The game tightens up to a 1/2 court game at winning time and we have problems converting.

Last year, we would have lost this game by 20. It would have been over by half-time.

Last year, we would have lost this game by 20. It would have been over by half-time.

No. Last year we lost by 8 at Clemson and they were much better last year than this year. They were 12-5 when we played them and had future nba player KJ McDaniels.

I think CoreDeac is spot-on, and that doesn't mean I don't like CMM. His skill set provides other things.

Agree with some of the others. Winning games requires solid play in the half court- something we aren't that great at. Plus, our go to guys (Devin and CMM) can't shoot free throws. At this level that can be the difference in winning and losing.

If you think us pulling away from GaTech was a good effort, you need to re-watch that game. We missed a TON of free throws in the end game. Luckily they missed everything too. It was a matter of being the least shitty team that day that won. A good team would have executed against us and beaten us when GaTech folded.

We made 8 of 10 free throws to build a 9 point lead starting at the 4 minute mark against GaTech. We only made 5 of 12 in the absurdly long final 90 seconds - but not one of them was taken when we weren't up by at least 8 points.

That was one game where we made them when it mattered and missed them when it didn't.

Decision making at the point guard position. CMM. He thinks he is Allan Iverson. However, he has no court vision, does not drive and dish, at end of games he drives or has a shoot first mentality. Unfortunately those tend not to work. He can't hit jump shots or free throws.

We made 8 of 10 free throws to build a 9 point lead starting at the 4 minute mark against GaTech. We only made 5 of 12 in the absurdly long final 90 seconds - but not one of them was taken when we weren't up by at least 8 points.

That was one game where we made them when it mattered and missed them when it didn't.

I'd have to re-watch then. In the final 90 seconds it sure felt like our lead was sliced to under 8 for sure. But if you're correct on that, then your point is well taken. My memory is of TERRIBLE end game FT shooting- maybe at that point it didn't matter.

I'd have to re-watch then. In the final 90 seconds it sure felt like our lead was sliced to under 8 for sure. But if you're correct on that, then your point is well taken. My memory is of TERRIBLE end game FT shooting- maybe at that point it didn't matter.

I mean, it was definitely terrible free throw shooting, but even if they shot 100% from the field and 100% from the line in every possession after they started fouling us intentionally they only would have tied it.

Back