• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2016 Foreign Elections Thread

Curious to see if the Freedom Party does better or worse in the re-vote. My guess is they'll do better. But perhaps the opposition will coalesce around someone.

Curious to see if the Freedom Party does better or worse in the re-vote. My guess is they'll do better. But perhaps the opposition will coalesce around someone.

Well it's a runoff so there's no real strategy needed for consolidating against the fascists. You either vote FPÖ or Independent (Green). At 49.7% last time, any improvement for Hofer basically means winning.

Leadership of UKIP is now open with Farage resigning (might have been pushed out by major donor). So the UK has Tory, Green, and UKIP leadership contests upcoming. Tory MPs all seem to be signalling that they're cool with Brexit, so the pundits I read are saying no general election.

It really depends on 2 things seems to be the consensus here:

#1 - Turnout in rural areas. FPÖ really had their voters out all over the country and they need to be able to do that again - will farmers and rural people make the massive effort again to drive to polling places, etc. FPÖ gets absolutely crushed in the cities, so they have to get basically every rural vote in the country. On the flip-side - the fear of FPÖ drove a massive amount of mail in votes from Austrians living outside the country. Will that happen again? Or will people lose track of it a bit, not mail in a 2nd ballot, etc.

#2 - Will ÖVP and SPÖ (especially SPÖ) actually back Van der Bellen this time and put their political machines behind him. They basically stood out of the last election (SPÖ was in crisis and had to appoint a new Prime Minister in the middle of it, etc) and basically left it to the FPÖ to be the only party apparatus involved (VDB ran as an independent). If either of the 2 major parties decides to formally back VDB in an official capacity and support him with their party infrastructures, he will walk to an easy victory. If they don't, it's going to be extremely close again and very dependent on the first point of turnout. The new Austrian Prime Minister (Christian Kern of the SPÖ) is quite popular right now, and if he made a forceful statement backing VDB and made some form of coalition with him he'd probably easily win. He may not do so because the SPÖ sees FPÖ mostly as a threat to their traditional center-right rivals ÖVP (kind of like how democrats see the Tea Party as a threat to Republicans mostly) and may want to see them continue to cannibalize ÖVP. I think that's playing with fire far too much for my liking, but ... I'm not the Prime Minister.

Can someone explain the Australian election? 5 days out, and still no winner?

Can someone explain the Australian election? 5 days out, and still no winner?

One of the houses of Oz's parliament is decided by a complicated proportional representation scheme called single-transferable vote. I believe it is complicated to figure out.

Some asshole named Angela Eagle is going to challenge Jez Corbyn for the leadership of Labour, which will make all non-LibDem UK parties without set leadership. This Eagle person voted for Iraq. And did not vote against some of Dodgy Dave Cameron's austerity. What a moran.

Some asshole named Angela Eagle is going to challenge Jez Corbyn for the leadership of Labour, which will make all non-LibDem UK parties without set leadership. This Eagle person voted for Iraq. And did not vote against some of Dodgy Dave Cameron's austerity. What a moran.

I wonder if Comrade Tuffalo has any thoughts on this. Italian banks are sitting on 360 billion euros in bad loans. Might be about time for moon to get that Italian villa he's always wanted.
Europe urgently needs a 150 billion-euro ($166 billion) bailout fund to recapitalize its beleaguered banks, particularly those in Italy, Deutsche Bank AG’s chief economist said in an interview with Welt am Sonntag.

"Europe is extremely sick and must start dealing with its problems extremely quickly, or else there may be an accident," Deutsche Bank’s David Folkerts-Landau said, according to the newspaper. "I’m no doomsday prophet, I am a realist."

With Italian banks weighed down by 360 billion euros of soured loans, the government has been sounding out regulators on ways to shore up lenders amid a renewed selloff after Britain voted to leave the European Union. Lorenzo Bini Smaghi, a former member of the European Central Bank’s executive board who now chairs Societe Generale SA, said Wednesday that Italy’s banking crisis could spread to the rest of Europe and rules limiting state aid to lenders should be reconsidered to prevent greater upheaval.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-10/eu-banks-need-166-billion-deutsche-bank-economist-tells-welt

I'm not an expert on Italian banks. I am an expert on the fact that Italy will have a constitutional referendum later this year and the PM is expected to resign if it fails. That constitutes a foreign election IMO

Noted mum Andrea Leadsom has used the pull-out method and quit the Tory leadership contest. Horrible authoritarian Theresa May overwhelmingly likely be the next PM. Bitter lefties calling for general election!

Theresa May looks downright ghoulish, not to mention she has zero respect for the privacy of Brits.

Corbyn will win the leadership election as Labour's national executive committee defeated a plot to keep him off the ballot and infamous war criminal Tony Blair endorsed Eagle.

On the one hand he endorsed Obama in 2008. On the other hand he had some racist commentary about Obama later on and had an extended tax dispute with the IRS while trying to shake down our embassy.

Expect the National Front and Le Pen to become an even more significant force in French politics. Europe is moving right thanks to immigration/terrorism.

Grilled.

There probably aren't many occasions in John Kerry's life where he has to hold back from cracking up. But that was 1 of them.

I repeat, whose bright idea was it to make this man foreign secretary?!?

Back