• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Elizabeth Warren is well liked, but too liberal to win the general election, and so I don't see her as a strong challenger to Hillary.

Another problem with Warren is there isn't a natural VP for her. Can't pair her with a youngish Senator and Castro doesn't have enough experience. Would have to be somebody with executive experience (Joe Manchin, Mark Warner, Evan Byah). None of those guys excite anyone. Patrick couldn't run with her because of MA.

Another problem with Warren is there isn't a natural VP for her. Can't pair her with a youngish Senator and Castro doesn't have enough experience. Would have to be somebody with executive experience (Joe Manchin, Mark Warner, Evan Byah). None of those guys excite anyone. Patrick couldn't run with her because of MA.

john-edwards.jpg

The Democrat party really doesn't need to worry about cherry picking candidates from certain states to lock in those votes. The electoral demographics are so heavily in their favor currently that I don't see any way they can lose the presidency in 2016. It's time for them to pick the candidate who can lead the best (I have no idea who that is) and not the candidate that can win, because frankly all of them can.

Warren wouldn't need a VP to excite anyone. She'd need an experienced steady white guy.

Warren wouldn't need a VP to excite anyone. She'd need an experienced steady white guy.

Would have to be Kevin Love. Dirk, Manu, and Pau are all foreigners.

Manchin, Warner, Tim Kaine, and Byah would all fit. Jerry Brown is certainly experienced enough (to put it mildly) but isn't perceived as steady and a MA/CA ticket would scare the crap out of middle America.

I disagree on Love. Kyle Korver could put GA in play and brings experience. He played high school ball in Iowa.

Politico article says Hillary is already running, Warren is out, Biden is only in if Hillary screws up. Oh, and Howard Dean has endorsed Hillary.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/hillary-clinton-2016-elections-114586.html?ml=po

Clinton will enter the Democratic race with a bang — and virtually no opposition to speak of. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who could mount a serious campaign from the left, has said she won’t run, and is making no behind-the-scenes preparations. Vice President Joe Biden says he might very well run — but mainly wants his name in the mix in case Clinton implodes.
This leaves a trio of long shots with scant money: Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley and former Sen. Jim Webb of Virginia.
The potential opposition is so weak that Clinton might wind up not even debating during the primaries, which many Democrats view as a mixed blessing.

Hillary skipping primary debates wouldn't be a bad thing.

Can Clinton/Castro carry C(T)exas?

Can Clinton/Castro carry C(T)exas?

Hillary's floor is 242 electoral votes if she just carries the 18 states that Bubba and Obama won twice. All she needs is Florida or Ohio/Virginia and it's game over. Making 'Pubs spend more in an expensive state like TX means they can't invest enough in the dozen or so swing states they absolutely need to get to 270.

If Mark Warner ran he would beat Hillary, win the general and probably be a decent President. But underperforming this fall has probably scared him off running.

He played basketball for four seasons at the Academy and in his senior year was the team captain and the leading scorer. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Soviet Studies, and he underwent Air Force intelligence gathering and processing training. At one point, Popovich considered a career with the Central Intelligence Agency.[4]

Popovich served five years of required active duty in the United States Air Force, during which he toured Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union with the U.S. Armed Forces Basketball Team. In 1972, he was selected as captain of the Armed Forces Team, which won the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) championship. This earned him an invitation to the 1972 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team trials.

On April 4, 2008, Popovich returned to the U.S. Air Force Academy to receive the Academy's award of Distinguished Graduate. Despite his four NBA titles at the time, Popovich said it was the most meaningful award he had ever received.[5]

what are gregg popovich's politics?

Air Force vet. Has LK's vote locked up.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...talks-veterans-day-san-antonio-spurs/3483059/

"In a lot of ways, it's a joyous day if we all remember to honor people," Popovich began. "But in some ways, it's a sad day because (soldiers and veterans) don't really get honored the way they should be. Some of it is just pablum. When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of what they need, they're really not getting everything.

"Just like the way it is right now – how many vets might have to do without food stamps because of what's going on with the government right now? That program is huge to a lot of these families. I mean huge. It gets them through. And it may or may not be there – who knows? – because government is not very functional at this point, as we all know. So it's a day to reflect, to honor but also to not lose sight of the fact that a whole lot more has to be done with what they've done for all of us."

Hillary's floor is 242 electoral votes if she just carries the 18 states that Bubba and Obama won twice. All she needs is Florida or Ohio/Virginia and it's game over. Making 'Pubs spend more in an expensive state like TX means they can't invest enough in the dozen or so swing states they absolutely need to get to 270.

The Koch machine is planning to spend $889 million during the 2016 election cycle.

I believe as you say that Castro is a near lock for the fact that he is very likeable and for the Latino vote. I just don't get why the Pubs are fucking around with immigration. They are slicing their own throat on this.

Just not sure that a Cuban dictator is a good veep choice.

Back