• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Hillary gave a speech for $300K in Silicon Valley the other day. Knowing how out of touch she was during her book tour and knowing that income inequality will be a 2016 issue thought she might have skipped another huge pay day. Thought the same thing when Mitt was building a 12K square foot house shortly after the real estate market cratered the economy. Seems silly to draw additional scrutiny prior to the election.
as long as their charitable contributions remain high then I don't think this will be an issue at all

Hillary is not going to be a strong candidate, but she has no reasonable challengers. Actually, none of the potential candidates have come out of the "preseason" any stronger than they were before.

The Democrats desperately need a spoiler. I used to hope for Warren to take on that role, but I'm becoming very comfortable with her doing that from the Senate.

What about Mark Dayton in Minnesota?

What about Mark Dayton in Minnesota?

NEqyWj0clSKUur_1_4.jpg

ITC captures my reaction. Don't think I've heard of him. Five minutes of reading has me intrigued at least, mostly because I really don't want Hillary. I would prefer a younger candidate. He and Hillary are around the same age and both would be over 20 years older than Obama was in 2008.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/u...il-at-state-department-raises-flags.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Hillary Rodham Clinton exclusively used a personal email account to conduct government business as secretary of state, State Department officials said, and may have violated federal requirements that officials’ correspondence be retained as part of the agency’s record.

That's bad. That's very, very bad.

What possible reason would she have for never getting an official government email? That's just crazy.

She needs to turn over literally all her email records to govt, but otherwise, yiiiiiiiiiikes.

ETA: upon second thought, it's a disaster either way - no way to know a personal email account is secure and she was head of fucking State

awful

Let's say for a minute someone like Mark Dayton (Gov of MN) could win the nomination if he ran.

Would the supposed 240 or so built in electoral votes automatically go his way like they would for Hillary?

I'm skeptical about this email story. It seems "too good to be true" for Hillary opponents.

Also, how in the hell was this allowed to happen for more than a few days? I remember stories about how President Obama had to give up his personal blackberry for security reasons. Surely there was some protocol in place to prevent the freaking secretary of state from using her own personal email to discuss classified state secrets.

If it's true, she should be nowhere near the presidency because she has demonstrated she is too careless with sensitive information.

It's really bad. I'm not sure it hurts Hillary though because apparently it's relatively common.

Hopefully the party will use this as a wake up call and encourage interested people to run. If something bigger than this happens this in 6 months and blows up in her face, it would be tough to come up with a legit Dem nominee.

I'm skeptical about this email story. It seems "too good to be true" for Hillary opponents.

Also, how in the hell was this allowed to happen for more than a few days? I remember stories about how President Obama had to give up his personal blackberry for security reasons. Surely there was some protocol in place to prevent the freaking secretary of state from using her own personal email to discuss classified state secrets.

If it's true, she should be nowhere near the presidency because she has demonstrated she is too careless with sensitive information.

That was my first question as well. Nobody else within the government was like, "hey, thanks for the email, can you re-send it from your official government email though, please? you know, just for appearances."

Or a head of state from another nation wasn't like, "why the hell are you sending me this from your hotmail account? thats weird."

if it comes out that she was using an AOL or Earthlink account, she officially loses my vote

ok she's got my vote again

i always liked that her twitter bio has "pantsuit aficionado" in it

Apparently Colin Powell did the same thing. #Olds.

It's my understanding that the requirement to have all business emails on government servers was implemented sometime between Powell's years and Hillary's.

Apparently Martin O'Malley will throw his hat in the ring. He is deciding not to run for Milkulski's Senate Seat. Seams like a bad move to me, but what do I know?

Back