• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

As much as I agree with everything Warren says,I feel like she doesn't have the voice to make it to the WH.
IMO it is Hillary or bust for the Dems.
For the record I am all for Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders :)

Martin O' Malley was damn impressive Sunday morning shows. If I were Hillary, I'd be concerned as he is as good as running.

Should he announce before or after Hillary to make the most impact?

Should he announce before or after Hillary to make the most impact?

I don't think it matters and he will be as hard to tarnish as Obama was. To me the Clinton tactics are outdated. The only thing she has going for her is the first woman President deal. Jim Webb or Martin O' Malley will start the race with 240 electoral votes if Hilldog is not the nominee. If they can't close that deal, they shouldn't be President.

No, you don't want Mayor Carcetti as the Dem nominee. Just ask David Simon. Or moderate Dems from MD. Northeastern liberals don't play as well in the rest of the country. Add to that he's a jerk with a bad temper who botched MD's exchange. MD is as blue a state as there is, and Marylanders thought so highly of his legacy that they voted for a Pub over his hand picked successor.

No, you don't want Mayor Carcetti as the Dem nominee. Just ask David Simon. Or moderate Dems from MD. Northeastern liberals don't play as well in the rest of the country. Add to that he's a jerk with a bad temper who botched MD's exchange. MD is as blue a state as there is, and Marylanders thought so highly of his legacy that they voted for a Pub over his hand picked successor.

I am only going by what I saw on the Sunday political shows. I thought Jim Webb was very impressive last week and I do know a little more about him since he was a Senator. He was actually down here in SC last week on an exploratory tour. I think both should get in vs Hillary.

I am only going by what I saw on the Sunday political shows. I thought Jim Webb was very impressive last week and I do know a little more about him since he was a Senator. He was actually down here in SC last week on an exploratory tour. I think both should get in vs Hillary.

Jim is a bit of an odd guy. Thought he was fine in the Senate, though let's face it - he only won because a heavily favored opponent used a racist epithet. He's smart but far from a dynamic personality or great campaigner. He also has that potential third marriage issue to a younger Vietnamese woman - not sure how important that is these days. He served in the military and was later an under secretary or something during the Reagan administration. When I went to a Webb function when he was running, the intro tribute film included a segment with him praising Reagan, which left a lot of Cville Dems looking at each other and simultaneously thinking, well, I guess he's still way better than former Governor Jethro.

What is wrong with our country and political process that there are so few legit candidates for President across the board?

Face it, its a job that no sane person would want. I really wonder if Obama ever had thoughts about being President before the big speech at the 2004 Democratic convention?

Face it, its a job that no sane person would want. I really wonder if Obama ever had thoughts about being President before the big speech at the 2004 Democratic convention?

Definitely. I have no doubt about that.

What is wrong with our country and political process that there are so few legit candidates for President across the board?

I don't think politics is any more corrupt now than it was in the past, in fact, I think it's prolly a little less corrupt because it's so hard to keep information secret these days. And I think that's the 1st answer to your question. Few knew that FDR was handicapped or that Kennedy and Johnson were humping most every woman they wanted to. And Nixon prolly would have gotten away with Watergate had the FBI not thought he was becoming a little too dangerous. Today there are no illusions, so it's harder for politicians to maintain that mystique that they'd so like to maintain.

The second reason is because there is so much more party conformity than there used to be, especially with Pubs, and candidates who just spew their parties' positions are less interesting and less highly thought of. Just look at the Senate composition. Gone are folks like Hatfield, Packwood, Rudman, Cohen, Snowe, Matthias, Warner, Jeffords, Specter, Lugar, Chafee, Mack and Domenici. Collins might be the only 1 left who might cross a party line on a vote, and the Dems aren't much better. And the environment is so poisonous and polarized that all they do is look for soundbites to zing the other party, and we even had a govt shutdown. Used to be you'd posture for a while, but at the end of the day you'd get some kind of compromise done - see Reagan and O'Neill. So today we're left with a bunch of candidates who aren't going to veer far from their party's platform.

A third reason might be cable news. I used to watch a few news shows, especially MTP when Russert was running it. And the networks sought to maintain a bit of even handedness. Now you largely have 2 networks who pretty much champion their champion's views. It's become distasteful and unwatchable unless you're catching Shields and Brooks on a Friday night. It's gotten to the point where I only listen to NPR and BBC and read news. It's much calmer that way.

A fourth reason might be because who TF would want to be president these days. The campaign season is so long, and every detail of your life has been scrutinized to death. And it used to be presidents were at least somewhat respected, even after Nixon. Now we hardly show any respect to our leaders and call them liars on the Senate floor. I used to think it'd be cool to be president, and now I shudder at the thought.

It is shocking how short the Dem bench is. I am baffled that a 67 year old Hillary Clinton is basically going to run unopposed in a non-incumbent election.

It is shocking how short the Dem bench is. I am baffled that a 67 year old Hillary Clinton is basically going to run unopposed in a non-incumbent election.

Her only real opponents 8 years ago were Obama, Biden, and Edwards. I don't think that many Dems actually aspire to be President.

Both benches suck and are short in terms of real talent. For the Dems this time around, I think some of the better potential is sitting it out. Warren and Gillibrand have potential, though they're from the NE.

I agree that both benches suck. The only difference is that the Dems don't have 15 people who shouldn't be on the bench whatsoever clamoring to fill up spots when they have absolutely no chance to win ever.

Back