• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
A comment on the Palin thread got me thinking (which may be the first time anything associated with Palin resulted in thinking), just who is going to run for POTUS out of the Dem camp?

Hillary Clinton seems extremely likely at this point.

Brian Schweitzer is likely out after his foot-in-mouth moments.

Elizabeth Warren is well liked, but too liberal to win the general election, and so I don't see her as a strong challenger to Hillary.

John Edwards always has a shot at these things, too. Who else am I missing?

Jim Webb, Joe Biden, Luiz Gutierrez, Martin O'Malley, Ed Rendell, Bernie Sanders all expressed interest.

Of that group, meh. Webb and Sanders both intrigue me (for opposing reasons) but this is Hilary's to lose without a doubt.

If it's purely a base election, Hillary's going to need a liberal VP to fire up the base. Dem base is bigger than the the GOP base and faces a more favorable electoral map. If it's a referendum on Hillary personally, she's vulnerable. If it's a referendum on the Clinton years, Hillary wins (including Monica).

Potential VPs: Julian Castro, Elizabeth Warren, Corey Booker, and Deval Patrick. Kirsten Gillibrand doesn't work because of the NY factor.

ha, a two woman ticket has along way to go before winning enough middle americans. no way warren gets a nod

If it's purely a base election, Hillary's going to need a liberal VP to fire up the base. Dem base is bigger than the the GOP base and faces a more favorable electoral map. If it's a referendum on Hillary personally, she's vulnerable. If it's a referendum on the Clinton years, Hillary wins (including Monica).

Potential VPs: Julian Castro, Elizabeth Warren, Corey Booker, and Deval Patrick. Kirsten Gillibrand doesn't work because of the NY factor.

If any of those 5 (although I agree with you on Gillibrand) are the running mate, I get a lot more supportive of Hill-dog.

He's not running of course, but the best candidate would be the same one who was the best candidate in 2004. He would make the best president this country has had in my lifetime.

al sharpton?

He's not running of course, but the best candidate would be the same one who was the best candidate in 2004. He would make the best president this country has had in my lifetime.

Howard Dean was boring on Maher's show this past Friday.

All Northeasterners except for Castro.

I'd rather see _____/Gillibrand than Hillary/______.

If Julian Castro gets the nod, it'll be a landslide. None of the others above will cut it though.

I could also support John Hickenlooper of CO.

He also called the people who went to Sniper and liked it "angry."

That seems disconnected w/ reality.

How so?

Any black male politician is going to be unfavorably compared to Obama by the right and anti-Obama moderates. Will be interesting to see if the Dems just avoid it all together.

They're obviously not all angry. That being said the people who were gung ho and amped to see it generally correlate strongly with the people I know that are decrying the fall of America under that commie lib Obummer

If Julian Castro gets the nod, it'll be a landslide.

Clinton/Patrick is an electable ticket IMO.

Think those are the Dems' two best bets. The Dems have a short bench now because they have no young Governors. Castro's gotta be close to a lock, especially if the GOP continues to antagonize Latinos. Steve King reportedly was pissed off that most of the speakers at his shindig last weekend were more anti-Obama and anti-Hillary than anti-immigrant. Texas may be slowly trending purple, but it's not going to be moderate enough in 2018 to elect one of the Castro and they couldn't run in 2020 if they were a newly elected Governor.

Patrick's done after two terms, but he could keep some of Obama's coalition alive, along with help from Bubba. Dems are still pretty hosed in 2020 timingwise if they don't win in 2016 since they need to groom a young gun for 2024 via VP.

Patrick brings in some people in the liberal folds of the party plus some key voting groups from the Democrats. I don't think it's quite like seeking more hitters when you're chalk full of them already.

Think those are the Dems' two best bets. The Dems have a short bench now because they have no young Governors. Castro's gotta be close to a lock, especially if the GOP continues to antagonize Latinos. Steve King reportedly was pissed off that most of the speakers at his shindig last weekend were more anti-Obama and anti-Hillary than anti-immigrant. Texas may be slowly trending purple, but it's not going to be moderate enough in 2018 to elect one of the Castro and they couldn't run in 2020 if they were a newly elected Governor.

Patrick's done after two terms, but he could keep some of Obama's coalition alive, along with help from Bubba. Dems are still pretty hosed in 2020 timingwise if they don't win in 2016 since they need to groom a young gun for 2024 via VP.

I believe as you say that Castro is a near lock for the fact that he is very likeable and for the Latino vote. I just don't get why the Pubs are fucking around with immigration. They are slicing their own throat on this.

I believe as you say that Castro is a near lock for the fact that he is very likeable and for the Latino vote. I just don't get why the Pubs are fucking around with immigration. They are slicing their own throat on this.

They're doing themselves no demographic favors whatsoever going forward.

Back