• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

List of Pretentious Shit

Maybe not the goal, but also saves time googling foreign names to try to figure out if male or female.

I saw a baby girl James on Facebook a couple weeks ago :shrug

Determined James Taylor fan. I approve.

I approve even more if they’re a DC Legends of Tomorrow fan too.

Someone including something like "gluten free" or "3x marathon champion" in their signature would be pretentious. Or what I've actually seen somewhat regularly is the hyper-patronizing inspirational quote.

Someone tipping you off on their pronouns is no different than someone including M.D. after their name or "Mrs." in front of it. Getting bent out of shape over it is just bizarre.

Why do I need to be tipped off about their pronouns? Is that any different than tipping me off about their shoe size or hair color or favorite sex position? The "M.D." clearly reflects something about the doctor's professional abilities, which makes sense in a professional email that may pertain to the content of the email. The fact that some particular pronouns match the common pronouns usually associated with this guy's name has no relevance to anything.

Why do I need to be tipped off about their pronouns? Is that any different than tipping me off about their shoe size or hair color or favorite sex position? The "M.D." clearly reflects something about the doctor's professional abilities, which makes sense in a professional email that may pertain to the content of the email. The fact that some particular pronouns match the common pronouns usually associated with this guy's name has no relevance to anything.

the relevance is that some people want to know how to refer to a person ahead of time. also, it's probably a standardized corporate signature; just because it's David this time doesn't mean it's not "Sam" or "Ellis" next time.

Nah, I get emails form others at their company all the time without that signature component. I think it is just David being a pretentious dick.

it has nothing to do with whether or not you can guess the biological sex of the person

it has nothing to do with whether or not you can guess the biological sex of the person

it has to do with guessing what sex the person considers themselves to be, a determination that is historically assisted by one's name given no other information

the relevance is that some people want to know how to refer to a person ahead of time. also, it's probably a standardized corporate signature; just because it's David this time doesn't mean it's not "Sam" or "Ellis" next time.

In a reply to a person, why would you be referring to them using third-person pronouns?

imagine for a moment a world where it's possible that a person could be involved in an email involving several people at once

Then it would be better to use the person's name, rather than an ambiguous pronoun that could apply to multiple people in the email chain.

I literally can't think of a time I've had to make a choice about what 3rd person pronoun to use in an email.

Then it would be better to use the person's name, rather than an ambiguous pronoun that could apply to multiple people in the email chain.

I literally can't think of a time I've had to make a choice about what 3rd person pronoun to use in an email.

"Can you ask Geeta if (s)he is available that week?" was from a work email I wrote today. (I knew the correct pronoun.)

It can be a bit tough working with India to know which pronoun to use in conversation or in email sometimes if you haven't met someone. I've seen it in internal email sigs for folks in our India office.

Back