• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Scott Walker says he doesn't know if Obama is Christian or Muslim!?! Such a profile in courage. The same people he's courting weren't ranting about Obama hanging with Iman Wright at his mosque.

Mike Pence was on Fox News Sunday-way more polished. sharper, and better resume than Walker. If the GOP base doesn't want Jeb or Christie, Kasich and Pence would be better choices than Walker.

Last edited:
Scott Walker says he doesn't know if Obama is Christian or Muslim!?! Such a profile in courage. The same people he's courting weren't ranting about Obama hanging with Iman Wright at his mosque.

Mike Pence was on Fox News Sunday-way more polished. sharper, and better resume than Walker. If the GOP base doesn't want Jeb or Christie, Kasich and Pence would be better choices than Walker.

Agree with everything you said. I could live with a Kasich or Pence if the Dems had 1 chamber. Just keep the neo-cons, science deniers and religious freaks out. I wasn't aware Pence was running, though.

Pence made noise about running for President in both 2008 and 2012 while he was still in the House. Discussion today was that he may announce in May and whether that might be too late. If anything, he's a little too slick and polished, but he'd be a huge upgrade over Walker.

I really wish there was a national primary to get a broader sense of who Republicans want.

Do you actually care who Republicans want?

Yes. That's a dumb question. Why would you ask such a ridiculous thing? It's not even worth outlining all the reasons why I'm interested.

I am not even all that well acquainted with Walker as a candidate, and certainly at this stage not a Walker supporter, but this is a very poor characterization of what he said. Here are some of his actual quotes from that interview.

“I’ve actually never talked about it or I haven’t read about that,” Walker said, his voice calm and firm. “I’ve never asked him that,” he added. “You’ve asked me to make statements about people that I haven’t had a conversation with about that. How [could] I say if I know either of you are a Christian?

Walker said such questions from reporters are reflective of a broader problem in the nation’s political-media culture, which he described as fixated on issues that are not relevant to most Americans.

“To me, this is a classic example of why people hate Washington and, increasingly, they dislike the press,” he said. “The things they care about don’t even remotely come close to what you’re asking about.”

Walker said he does not believe that most Americans care about such matters.“People in the media will [judge], not everyday people,” he said. “I would defy you to come to Wisconsin. You could ask 100 people, and not one of them would say that this is a significant issue.

To Paraphrase: "I don't know if Obama is a Christian because I have never had that discussion with him. Besides, this isn't important to my constituents or the nation. It is only important to the media."

Isn't that pretty much what we want our politicians to say? I thought he nailed the answer personally. It isn't Scott Walker's place to judge Obama's faith or comment on it. If he was a close friend who had intimate discussions with Obama, then he may have some insight, but being that the two have probably never talked, and if they have, it certainly wasn't a heart felt religious dialogue, I am not sure how Walker is supposed to make an educated comment on Obama's faith. Which is why Walker didn't guess, and instead said 'I Don't Know'.

Obama says he's a Christian. He has on multiple occasions. That's an insulting answer by Walker to pander to the base who wants to believe Obama is "different."

Your "educated guess" bit is worse.

Last edited:
Find it inconceivable that Walker had no idea about Obama and Rev Wright since it is/was huge among the GOP base and happened in an adjoining state. If he gave a reasonable answer his press secretary wouldn't have needed to clean it up after the fact. Walker's just not ready for prime time. May get better, but he's not there yet. Can't screw up easy questions. Palin looked foolish when she couldn't answer which publications she read.

I am not even all that well acquainted with Walker as a candidate, and certainly at this stage not a Walker supporter, but this is a very poor characterization of what he said. Here are some of his actual quotes from that interview.

To Paraphrase: "I don't know if Obama is a Christian because I have never had that discussion with him. Besides, this isn't important to my constituents or the nation. It is only important to the media."

Isn't that pretty much what we want our politicians to say? I thought he nailed the answer personally. It isn't Scott Walker's place to judge Obama's faith or comment on it. If he was a close friend who had intimate discussions with Obama, then he may have some insight, but being that the two have probably never talked, and if they have, it certainly wasn't a heart felt religious dialogue, I am not sure how Walker is supposed to make an educated comment on Obama's faith. Which is why Walker didn't guess, and instead said 'I Don't Know'.

lol

Obama says he's a Christian. He has on multiple occasions. That's an insulting answer by Walker to pander to the base who wants to believe Obama is "different."

Your "educated guess" bit is worse.

PH, Is Donald trump a Christian? Yes or no?

Has he said he is? I don't know. He's not as high profile as the President of the United States.

I asked your opinion. Trump claims to be a Christian. Do you think he is? Claiming he is not high profile is a pretty weak sidestep.

Whether or not someone is a Christian is a fact, not an opinion. Well at least it's not my opinion. It's God's opinion.

Whether or not someone is a Christian is a fact, not an opinion. Well at least it's not my opinion. It's God's opinion.

Thanks PH. You made my point better than I ever could. You don't know. And neither did Walker. Which is what he said.

And by the way. I agree with you 100%. It is a fact not an opinion. So if someone asks me if obama or trump or ph deac or billy graham is a Christian I would say "I don't know because truly in this case Grobe was right. Only the Lord knows.

Last edited:
So public announcements/declarations of religious affiliation and views do not count as facts? I've never met the Pope and talked to him about his religious beliefs, so it's only my opinion that he is a Christian?

good lord

Thanks PH. You made my point better than I ever could. You don't know. And neither did Walker. Which is what he said.

Obama has professed his faith many times. I know that. I know he's a Christian. Point me to where Trump has done the same and I'll say he's a Christian, too.

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever seen on this board, which is saying a lot.

If I say I believe XYZ publicly, then it is now a fact that I do as far as the public record goes. What is so hard to understand here?

So we can't be sure about MIke Huckabee then either. Rick Santorum. The Pope. or even Wrangor.

Only God knows......

Back