• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

So we can't be sure about MIke Huckabee then either. Rick Santorum. The Pope. or even Wrangor.

Only God knows......

You are certain? What about jimmy Bakker? Swaggert? Public statement = fact. That is truly lol.

Please explain. What about his life proves to you he is NOT a Christian?

Nothing proves. And you have no interest in discussion or knowledge so I am not going to further waste my time. The fact that you even ask that question is laughable.

Nothing proves. And you have no interest in discussion or knowledge so I am not going to further waste my time. The fact that you even ask that question is laughable.

You said it on a message board. :noidea: Support it. This is your line of discussion, why are you running away?

You said he was a fool for looking at Trumps life and believing he is a Christian. I thought a person qualifies as a Christian for believing that Jesus Christ was the son of God and died for their salvation. What about his life convinces you he doesn't?

Walker said such questions from reporters are reflective of a broader problem in the nation’s political-media culture, which he described as fixated on issues that are not relevant to most Americans.

“To me, this is a classic example of why people hate Washington and, increasingly, they dislike the press,” he said. “The things they care about don’t even remotely come close to what you’re asking about.”

Walker said he does not believe that most Americans care about such matters.“People in the media will [judge], not everyday people,” he said. “I would defy you to come to Wisconsin. You could ask 100 people, and not one of them would say that this is a significant issue.”

this part of walker's answer was better than the first part

Yes. It is a fact that obama declares himself a Christian. Hat has nothing to do with whether he actually is a Christian.

Republicans claim to be "family values" reps all the time. Doesn't mean they are.

But Obama certainly claims Christianity. I don't deny that and I don't deny that he truly is. My point all along is that I don't know, you don't know, and certainly Scott Walker doesn't know if Obama places his faith in Jesus Christ as his only means to survive or if he uses jesus as a political or social tool. Obama knows and God knows. Outside of that we are all just guessing based on whatever evidence we have.

Regarding trump: nothing in the way he lives his life signifies a follower of Christ. Once again I don't know one way or another but the the limited evidence I have does not display the fruit of heart filled with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know you are just being argumentative but that is my honest answer.

In the end you choose to take politicians word as fact. I choose to reserve judgement I guess that is just a philosophical difference between the two of us.

Last edited:
You said it on a message board. :noidea: Support it. This is your line of discussion, why are you running away?

You said he was a fool for looking at Trumps life and believing he is a Christian. I thought a person qualifies as a Christian for believing that Jesus Christ was the son of God and died for their salvation. What about his life convinces you he doesn't?

WakeandBake knows more about Christianity than Wrangor. Who knew?

Yes. It is a fact that obama declares himself a Christian. Hat has nothing to do with whether he actually is a Christian.

Republicans claim to be "family values" reps all the time. Doesn't mean they are.

But Obama certainly claims Christianity. I don't deny that and I don't deny that he truly is. My point all along is that I don't know, you don't know, and certainly Scott Walker doesn't know if Obama places his faith in Jesus Christ as his only means to survive or if he uses jesus as a political or social tool. Obama knows and God knows. Outside of that we are all just guessing based on whatever evidence we have.

ok, fair enough. I agree with that. But his declaration of Christianity puts him in the "Christian" camp politically, as it were. He threw his hat in with them.

So when another politician is asked, when he knows good and well that he can't prove another politician is a Christian, he can only go by what they have publicly declared. Just like me with you.

Walker should have said, "Obama his checked the box by 'Christian' on his public form" and left it at that.

I think that would have raised more of a storm. The follow up would have been "so you don't believe him?" In which case he would have said the original answer. There is no good honest answer to that question. Which was walkers second point. It is a meaningless question meant to produce headlines. I guess it worked.

Bake I honestly agree with you btw about your answer. I think that is a fine answer. But it wouldn't have quelled the storm.

Last edited:
Agreed it was a stupid question and our press is as bad as our politicians, but I think a simple "as far as I know he is a Christian" would have been fine.

I think its clear he was trying to curry favor with the Obama-haters who think that all people with Arabic names are Muslims while at the same time having one foot in with the moderates who know it was a shitty question in the first place.

About Trump's religion. I am curious how you have judged his life to come to the conclusion that anyone who believes he is a Christian is a fool. That was a pretty heavy post my man.

About Trump's religion. I am curious how you have judged his life to come to the conclusion that anyone who believes he is a Christian is a fool. That was a pretty heavy post my man.

Do you expect anything less from him?

GOP base may be obsessed about marginalizing Obama's personal life and background, but a winning general election candidate's going to have to move past that. Rudy screwed up with a dumb answer, but Walker didn't help himself or his party. Jeb, Rubio, and Pence didn't whiff on similar questions.

Dems hate their base, but 'Pubs fear their base. Until they successfully distance themselves from loopy statements, they're not moving forward and looking to the future. Palin, Trump, Todd Akin, Huckabee, and Rudy aren't remotely helping. Walker isn't bright or strong enough to move past them. Even Mitt couldn't distance himself from Trump.

Franklin Graham hasn't done Christianity any favors by associating with Palin and Trump. While neither are exemplary Christians, there's zero doubt they aren't Muslims.

Perhaps. So he made an honest answer that helps him politically. To me that seems shrewd. Walker honestly doesn't know (how could he? As Ph so eloquently stated for us) and it helps sure up some crazy votes while not alienating he middle. I just don't see how his answer was anything but solid. It was truthful and politically beneficial.

holy shit. this thread just took a massive turn towards stupid.

My point was if you look at his life and can unequivocally say he is Christian without doubt you are a fool. A tree bears fruit. What kind of fruit has trump produced in his life (that is public knowledge).

Trump has lived a life dedicated to greed. He even has said there is no such thing as being too greedy. Bible is pretty clear that you cannot serve God and wealth. From the evidence I have, trump serves wealth.
Therefore while I would never make the call that he isn't a Christian I would say you are a fool if you feel the evidence points to unequivocally answering that question in the affirmative.

This all has been a giant sidetrack. So apologize for my part. But wanted to respond to initial comments about walkers supposed step in it moment. PH agreed with walker. We don't know. It is between Obama and God.

/endofmysidetrackdiscussion

Last edited:
ok, but you said someone would be "a fool for feeling comfortable calling him a Christian" based on his life. But you also said in other posts that we cannot possibly know if someone is a Christian or not by just taking them at their word or, ostensibly, their actions (ie going to church, publicly praying, etc). So I'm not sure how these two assertions square up.

I did not make my point clearly./fully. Apologies.

Back