• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

The eventual leader was in the clear top 3. I don't understand your point.

Yeah... with hindsight, you can look back and say Romney was the ultimate nominee. I'm just saying Huckabee and Palin were right there, as well.

By August of that year, Rick Perry was a double digit leader. In October, Herman Cain was ahead by a statistically significant margin.

Those are 4 names, other than the eventual winner, that were "ahead" at various points. My point was that it is easy to say that Jeb Bush & Scott Walker are the frontrunners now... but in a few months, it could very easily be Chris Christie and/or someone else we aren't even talking about.

That wasn't "hindsight." Romney ran on inevitability. And he was. He was always near the top and everybody knew he would eventually outlast the yahoos. The criticism is that it took him too long to seal the deal.

Agree that was the Romney narrative, but inevitability only applies because he won. How'd that work out for Hillary or Giuliani in 2008?

Regardless, my point is simply that there is no inevitable candidate this time around. I love speculating and prognosticating as much as anyone... But it is only February.

Clinton at +130 to win presidency on sports books, Bush is next closest at +600.

Dems -140 to win, GOP +130

My point was if you look at his life and can unequivocally say he is Christian without doubt you are a fool. A tree bears fruit. What kind of fruit has trump produced in his life (that is public knowledge).

Trump has lived a life dedicated to greed. He even has said there is no such thing as being too greedy. Bible is pretty clear that you cannot serve God and wealth. From the evidence I have, trump serves wealth.
Therefore while I would never make the call that he isn't a Christian I would say you are a fool if you feel the evidence points to unequivocally answering that question in the affirmative.

This all has been a giant sidetrack. So apologize for my part. But wanted to respond to initial comments about walkers supposed step in it moment. PH agreed with walker. We don't know. It is between Obama and God.

/endofmysidetrackdiscussion

Wow. I'm no fan of Trump, but considering it's coming from a very loudly proclaimed Christian of the Wake boards, this post is borderline disgusting.

The question is obviously bullshit, and can be translated as "Do you believe the President is lying when he says he's a Christian?" And fine, if you want to pander to the nitwits you can say "Well he may well be lying, who knows." What any decent human would say his "I have no business judging another man's faith."

This exemplifies my biggest problem with the religious right these days - even beyond the outright denial required to believe that answer was just being "honest." It's the ability to condemn one type of judgment out of one side of the mouth while readily engaging in it out of the other. There are the obvious examples like the Defense of Marriage being written by a cheating divorcee mentioned by others. But it all stems from people claiming the high ground, then selecting their own personal prejudices and hot buttons and justifying them through religion - and judging others. When you combine it with politics, it just turns that judgment into action that harms those judged.

The saddest part of it is those on the short end of this deal are almost always the poor, the minority, or the powerless. And they were mainly the beneficiaries in the teachings of Christ. Funny how that works.

Wow. I'm no fan of Trump, but considering it's coming from a very loudly proclaimed Christian of the Wake boards, this post is borderline disgusting.

The question is obviously bullshit, and can be translated as "Do you believe the President is lying when he says he's a Christian?" And fine, if you want to pander to the nitwits you can say "Well he may well be lying, who knows." What any decent human would say his "I have no business judging another man's faith."

This exemplifies my biggest problem with the religious right these days - even beyond the outright denial required to believe that answer was just being "honest." It's the ability to condemn one type of judgment out of one side of the mouth while readily engaging in it out of the other. There are the obvious examples like the Defense of Marriage being written by a cheating divorcee mentioned by others. But it all stems from people claiming the high ground, then selecting their own personal prejudices and hot buttons and justifying them through religion - and judging others. When you combine it with politics, it just turns that judgment into action that harms those judged.

The saddest part of it is those on the short end of this deal are almost always the poor, the minority, or the powerless. And they were mainly the beneficiaries in the teachings of Christ. Funny how that works.

/TheTunnels

This may be the best post on any version of the politics board.

Is this really what we are talking about? And not just us but all over the news. So fucking stupid. I agree with Pataki...how are we talking about who is a Christian, who loves their country, who is for vacation and who believes in evolution? Have we really solved all the problems that we are down to these? God, the two party system is so fucked.

I'm not sure if Scott walker has sex with donkeys because I've never had that conversation with him.

I'm not sure if Scott walker has sex with donkeys because I've never had that conversation with him.

images

You might want to read this one, too. And I'm sure there's a lot more to come. Your boy Christie Kreme is toast before he even announces that he is running.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-tells-chris-christie-put-more-money-pension-214909460.html

And here is a microcosm of his board. Instead of just discussing things everyone is trying to stay #undefeated. Christy Kreme? Really? Whether Christie wins or not will not in any way impact my emotional status. Win or lose my family is going to keep doing our thing.

Is it possible that we could just discuss candidates who are conservative?

I will read the article. Thanks. We have a long way to go. Be patient bob.

/TheTunnels

This may be the best post on any version of the politics board.

I don't know chief, I've made some unbelievably greats posts in my time.

I don't think Wrangor was trying to be disgusting, I think he painted himself into a corner JCDing this Walker twit. It happens.

Judging another person as not being Christian after they proclaim themselves to be Christian is a pretty non-Christian thing to do. Jesus Christ thinks people that do that are fucking assholes.

Trust me. I asked Him.

Think it was a silly question, but Walker's inability to offer even a reasonable answer is alarming. If Obama fasted during Ramadan or attended services at a mosque, it would be widely publicized. There's zero question that Obama isn't a Muslim. Walker's bizarre non-answer speaks volumes about his poise, intelligence, and honesty.

Think it was a silly question, but Walker's inability to offer even a reasonable answer is alarming. If Obama fasted during Ramadan or attended services at a mosque, it would be widely publicized. There's zero question that Obama isn't a Muslim. Walker's bizarre non-answer speaks volumes about his poise, intelligence, and honesty.

I'd agree if it wasn't a common non-answer among Republicans. Walker isn't alone.

Why is it even a fucking question? Even if he never attended church ever.

The Dems aren't upset this is an issue either. Another dumb ass wedge issue that keeps both teams in power.

Saw a poll that 59% of Americans don't know who Walker is. Not an auspicious beginning/introduction. GOP has to muzzle the wingnuts for the next 2 years. The Obama craziness should have died a quiet death long ago. Bizarre that Trump and Rudy kept it alive/revived it. Who will be the first to bring up the Bill/Hillary murder spree?

The Dems aren't upset this is an issue either. Another dumb ass wedge issue that keeps both teams in power.

It's cute when you try to hard to be Miss Independent. It's not a wedge issue. It's xenophobia from one side that the other side gladly accepts because it gives them an advantage. Obama made his birth certificate available. He hasn't kept his religious beliefs a secret. He hasn't played into this.

Back