• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

I just really don't see any GOP member being remotely electable other than maybe Bush. Rubio is a donk, Huckabee has no shot, Walker v. the unions and the whole Wisconsin issue is going to shroud his candidacy (could conceivably bolster it with anti-union people but if Rush pimps him how many moderates is he going to win over?), Christie can't get through the GOP primary and is way too moderate for the current makeup of the GOP, and Paul isn't going to get establishment support to come vote.

Christie and Bush are the best two candidates in a general election and only one of them can get through the primary IMO: Bush.

That's the most obvious one.

The political arena was looking for him to take the lead on the immigration issue and he botched it.

His reaction to normalization with Cuba represented his parents' generation and effectively removed him from being the guy to take a lead in normalization talks.

If he had played his cards right, he'd be the overwhelming favorite instead of a backburner guy who still looks good on paper. He's like a Top 5 hoops prospect who underachieved as a freshman so he came back his sophomore year, yet still shows up on POY lists based on early hype.

Rubio is really overrated. I feel like every time he has a national stage, he donks it up.

Rubio always reminds me of a little kid playing dress up in his dad's clothes. That being said, if Jeb craps out Walker or Kasich could use a VP with Florida ties.

"I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee. In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case."

Sorry, i should have posted this before being argumentative.
medium_amd_edwards-1.jpg

Rubio always reminds me of a little kid playing dress up in his dad's clothes. That being said, if Jeb craps out Walker or Kasich could use a VP with Florida ties.

He would be an attractive VP candidate. I think Rubio's Latino cred is overstated. He's becoming more and more out of step with 2nd and 3rd generation Cuban-Americans in South Florida. Cubans in general don't have much Latino cred around the country.

I just really don't see any GOP member being remotely electable other than maybe Bush. Rubio is a donk, Huckabee has no shot, Walker v. the unions and the whole Wisconsin issue is going to shroud his candidacy (could conceivably bolster it with anti-union people but if Rush pimps him how many moderates is he going to win over?), Christie can't get through the GOP primary and is way too moderate for the current makeup of the GOP, and Paul isn't going to get establishment support to come vote.

Christie and Bush are the best two candidates in a general election and only one of them can get through the primary IMO: Bush.

Who was voting for Walker in Wisconsin?

Also the whole "GET THE MODERATES" thing is bull crap. Romney did well w/ the moderates and lost.

He would be an attractive VP candidate. I think Rubio's Latino cred is overstated. He's becoming more and more out of step with 2nd and 3rd generation Cuban-Americans in South Florida. Cubans in general don't have much Latino cred around the country.

Susana Martinez is gonna be tempting for all involved.

Who was voting for Walker in Wisconsin?

Also the whole "GET THE MODERATES" thing is bull crap. Romney did well w/ the moderates and lost.

Well Romney is an example of a moderate who couldn't get the Tea Party/social conservatives out. You need to get moderates and retain your party - especially as a GOP member. That's the current issue they have (beyond EC design) in that the party is so split between different factions under the same umbrella that it's almost impossible to get someone who appeases everyone. That's why the party desperately needs to split IMO.

Christie is a moderate that will get the red blooded Republicans out to vote. He is going to dominate the Primary debates.

#Christie2016

I like Christie and think he has a great shot in the general election. I see no way in hell social conservatives and tea partiers coalesce behind him.

Walker is talking about Hillary's age again. It must be fun times at home as his wife is 12 years his senior.

So, Romney and Jeb Bush had a private one on one meeting in Utah this past week... Guess the Bushes made Romney an offer he couldn't refuse.

"I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee. In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case."

Sorry, i should have posted this before being argumentative.

Doesn't sound like Jeb's visit to Utah was to play kissy face. Jeb may have clued Mitt into what kind of campaign he intended to run against Romney and it wasn't pretty. If Mitt and Jeb had parted on good terms, Mitt wouldn't have uttered such a thinly-veiled swipe at Jeb.

What makes you feel that way? I'm not disagreeing, but what makes you feel he would be a "great" Treasury Secretary?

Other than running for president, name one thing Romney has failed doing? Guy has a pretty impressive resume, and one that is loaded with financial experience. He also governed a blue state with a very moderate approach, so I think he would be very balanced in whatever role he may be assigned to take. I think his job for the Salt Lake Olympics is as good evidence as you will find for someone who can take a deficit and help turn it around.

I like Christie and think he has a great shot in the general election. I see no way in hell social conservatives and tea partiers coalesce behind him.

I may be proven to be way off, but I believe Christie will end up being the guy the far right gets excited about. They love brash and loud politicians. If he can craft his message well enough, his personality will carry the far right. That is the sense I get down here in Mississippi in far right land. No one here really knows who they are going to vote for, but when I ask them what they think of Christie, the person asked almost always responds with some sort of comment like 'Not sure about him, but I really like how handles himself' or something to that effect.

I think Kasich would be their strongest candidate. But like Christie, I don't think he'll get the nomination.

Back