• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

The idea that you can just get on board with legalizing a bunch of 3rd world illegals and they will suddenly become-- even in part-- GOP voters is laughable. Let us be overly optimistic and assume that 40% of those legalized go GOP. At 10+ million, that is still 2+ million in the hole and doesn't consider the next generation of kids. Immigration spells doom for the GOP barring some kind of mega catastrophic event like the Great Depression or Civil War. There is no political purpose to be served by supporting yet another legalization. 30 years of it already has this country trending left.

They can come up with a plan, but it shouldn't include any legalization.

I said reform. Didn't see where I said blanket amnesty. We need a realistic plan. We don't currently have one. I thnk the Dems are willing to play ball. If we had a pub pres/vp combo with a moderate plan I think something could get something done.

Probably naive, but eventually someone has to lead. Pubs better make sure it is them.

I said reform. Didn't see where I said blanket amnesty. We need a realistic plan. We don't currently have one. I thnk the Dems are willing to play ball. If we had a pub pres/vp combo with a moderate plan I think something could get something done.

Probably naive, but eventually someone has to lead. Pubs better make sure it is them.

Boehner is completely unable to get any kind of immigration reform through the House. McConnell may be able to get something through the Senate and Obama wouldn't veto a reasonable plan, but Boehner can't deliver anything from the House. Don't see how that changes in 2017 even with a GOP President unless the House magically becomes significantly more moderate. Dems have reasonable chances to win back the Senate and retain the White House in 2016, but nothing changes for the GOP until the House becomes more centrist/pragmatic and less ideological.

Boehner is completely unable to get any kind of immigration reform through the House. McConnell may be able to get something through the Senate and Obama wouldn't veto a reasonable plan, but Boehner can't deliver anything from the House. Don't see how that changes in 2017 even with a GOP President unless the House magically becomes significantly more moderate. Dems have reasonable chances to win back the Senate and retain the White House in 2016, but nothing changes for the GOP until the House becomes more centrist/pragmatic and less ideological.

Boehner isn't a leader. That is the problem. Pubs need someone transcendent in the White House to get the ship in order. Its one of the reasons i like Christie. I know it sounds trite, but it is the difference in [name redacted] trying to teach defense and Coach K. One has authority and is a leader, and the other doesnt. Same message delivered by two different people, and you will get very different results.

Ouch.

Gov. Bobby Jindal has a plan: Do for the country what he’s done for Louisiana. Cut taxes and cut the government workforce and the economy will bloom, he promises. It’s a message he’s peddling as he lays the groundwork for a presidential run. Indeed, as Jindal is quick to say, private-sector job growth and the economy in Louisiana have outpaced the national average during his tenure as governor. “I’m a fiscal conservative,” he told the influential Conservative Political Action Conference last year, in explaining these successes.

But here’s what Jindal doesn’t say: Louisiana’s budget is hemorrhaging red ink, and it’s getting worse. He inherited a $900 million surplus when he became governor seven years ago, and his administration’s own budget documents now show the state is facing deficits of more than $1 billion for as far as the eye can see. There are no easy solutions today because Jindal has increasingly balanced the budget by resorting to one-time fixes, depleting the state’s reserve funds and taking money meant for other purposes.

“There are all kinds of tricks in the budget,” said Greg Albrecht, the state legislature’s chief economist, a nonpartisan position. Meanwhile, the state’s unemployment rate has risen from 3.8 percent when Jindal took office, a point below the national average then, to 6.7 percent today—nearly a full point higher than today’s national average. Jindal omits these inconvenient facts when he bashes President Barack Obama and Washington for “bankrupting” the federal government and mismanaging the national economy.

Democrats in the state are quick to point to the budget problems. But what’s striking are the harsh critiques from fellow Republicans, who say Jindal’s presidential ambitions and frequent campaign trips outside of Louisiana have taken precedence over managing his home state’s economic affairs. “I’m hoping he will multitask and spend some of his time with us,” said state Treasurer John Kennedy, a Republican. “I’m a numbers guy. We have serious, serious problems with our budget. For seven years, we have spent more than we’ve taken in.”
Republican state legislators are particularly scathing in saying Jindal no longer exercises leadership, but they don’t want to go on the record for fear of losing their choice committee assignments or having the governor kill their pet projects. (A governor in Louisiana has so much power that he appoints the speaker of the House and the president of the Senate, along with committee chairmen.) Jim Richardson, an economist at Louisiana State University who sits on a four-member board that determines the state’s available revenue, predicted that next year’s governor—regardless of party—will have to call a special session on the budget, as the first order of business, to clean up what Jindal has left behind.
The deficit for the upcoming year adds up to $1.6 billion, too big to close easily. Jindal will show his hand when he releases his plan for a balanced budget on February 27, amid heightened attention because of his obvious national ambitions.

In 2003, as a private citizen running for governor (he narrowly lost), Jindal promised to “oppose and veto all efforts to increase taxes.” This was part of the bargain he agreed to when he took the pledge—the shorthand description of the Tax Protection Pledge hawked by Americans for Tax Reform, the group headed by anti-tax zealot Grover Norquist. As governor, he has taken the “no tax” commitment to such lengths that in 2011 he vetoed legislation supported by dozens of Republicans that sought renewal of a 4-cent portion of the state’s 36-cent-per-pack cigarette tax, the country’s third lowest. “His only reason is that he’d taken the crazy position that if you renew a tax or suspend an exemption it was a tax increase,” said state Rep. Harold Ritchie, a Democrat and smoker who sponsored the measure. Lawmakers found a way to approve it without Jindal being able to exercise a veto.
In 2013, Jindal promised to whack a measure that would have raised $1 million for the hearing impaired through a fee on monthly cellphone bills. The amount: 2 cents per month. “I was totally shocked,” said state Rep. Patrick Williams, a Democrat who sponsored the measure.

The pledge wasn’t an issue when Jindal became governor in 2008 and the state had a healthy budget surplus thanks to the taxes produced by massive federal government and private insurance spending following Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita. The state legislature cut income taxes for higher-end earners by a total of about $700 million per year. Jindal was not an initial supporter, perhaps because of warnings that the surplus would not last as the outside spending tapered off. He went along with the plan, though, and now takes credit for it.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/02/bobby-jindal-campaigning-114948.html#ixzz3QwBdCps2

Geez.

I was thinking about this a couple days ago, but it seems like most Republicans in the running have a SERIOUS WTF moment and was trying to think of Obama's biggest WTF moment like these types of "could the island of Guam actually...tip over?" moments. I'm sure we can get some decent feedback from the resident right wingers.

Geez.

I was thinking about this a couple days ago, but it seems like most Republicans in the running have a SERIOUS WTF moment and was trying to think of Obama's biggest WTF moment like these types of "could the island of Guam actually...tip over?" moments. I'm sure we can get some decent feedback from the resident right wingers.

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

That's true. Just not something you say.

Completely different than anti-vax or anti-climate change beliefs.

Kinda surprised that Rand is still considered a viable candidate. He's already picked up a ton of baggage (Opposed Civil Rights Act, ties to Alex Jones, Southern Avenger, Wikipedia plagiarism, challenging Rachel Maddow to a duel, anti-vax) that he's in Rick Perry territory now and accelerating toward Ben Carson and Bachmann.

Still waiting for Kasich to take off. Think he can split the difference between Walker and Jeb.

Guys, he just thinks the free market would eliminate discrimination. That's why the CRA should be repealed!

Other one that's surprised me in this cycle is Bobby Jindal. Dude's a Rhodes Scholar, but he's said a ton of nutty things already.

You don't become governor of Louisiana and a leading Republican by being a Rhodes Scholar.

the only one that i really like is scott walker and he's got a goofy sitcom dad vibe to him

rubio is a generation too late in his community

jeb is a rino and also has bad genes

christie is a cowboys fan and while his #realtalk is funny he's a caricature

rand is a crazy person and his supporters are even nuttier

warren will be president in 2017. hooray.

Last edited:
Fox had a special report last night on 2016 GOP wannabes. Was almost entirely about Scott Walker. He was the only one they profiled. At he end they had 4 pundits (George Will, Krauthammer, Stephen Hayes, Mara Liasson) each apportion $100 "betting" on 2106 odds of winning the nomination. Walker was the clear winner, followed by "field", Jeb was reasonably close, and Rubio trailed. Walker, Jeb, and Rubio were the only candidates that everybody bet on. Somebody had $5 on Cruz and another had $5 on Mike Pence. Zero mention of Christie, Rand, and Kasich. Kinda surprised that Fox isn't all in for Jeb or Christie and clearly favors Walker.

Would Walker be able to carry WI? Gore could not carry is home state of TN in 2000 and it cost him the election.

Fox isn't going to put "money" into establishment Republicans. That's not getting any views from their fanbase.

Makes sense. Would think that Cruz and maybe Carson would get more play than Rubio if Fox were deliberately playing to their viewership. Puts a little more context into Palin's description of Fox as a "quasi-conservative" network.

First Lady Tonette?

That's an interesting first name for Mrs. Walker.

Back