• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Social media screw ups are going to be an ongoing scandal for the next 40 years. When will public personas decide to stay away? For instance, why would an athlete EVER get on social media?

Pretty lame for Walker to punt on the evolution question, he later tweeted a wishy washy "I believe in God and Science" statement.

Still really early but the media is on his ass, time for the worst job interview in his life for the next 12 months+.

Don't think he'll ever be a front runner or VP, but Bobby Jindal (Rhodes Scholar biology major at Brown) would get absolutely grilled for his non-belief in evolution. It's sad and bizarre that 'Pub presidential wannabes can't answer simple questions about evolution or vaccinations in a straight-forward manner.

A failure to answer about evolution indicates to me pretty clearly that the person does not believe in evolution and just doesn't wanna step in it.

Don't think he'll ever be a front runner or VP, but Bobby Jindal (Rhodes Scholar biology major at Brown) would get absolutely grilled for his non-belief in evolution. It's sad and bizarre that 'Pub presidential wannabes can't answer simple questions about evolution or vaccinations in a straight-forward manner.

q2TiJ6I.gif

wait, jindal has a degree in biology but doesn't 'believe' in evolution theory?

A failure to answer about evolution indicates to me pretty clearly that the person does not believe in evolution and just doesn't wanna step in it.

Its a damned if you do or damned if you don't question.

I would hope the same journalist would ask a Dem when they believe life begins.

Well I disagree personally on those two being analogous. I think reasonable minds can differ on when life begins, being pro-choice/pro-life, etc. I don't really believe that reasonable minds can differ in 2015 regarding a belief in evolution or not but again we all know my feelings on that. This doesn't even have anything to do one way or the other with religion or not IMO, but if someone doesn't believe in evolution in 2015 I don't want them in any sort of position of power period. It indicates that they are either ignoring mounds upon mounds upon mounds of scientific evidence or have no ability to remotely think critically. I don't find either of these positions to be a tenable one for elected officials to hold.

I meant it to be an "uncomfortable" question, I do think your point is valid and I wish that Walker or any GOP candidate would accept that Evolution is the scientific consensus. You can believe in God and believe that humans evolved.

I meant it to be an "uncomfortable" question, I do think your point is valid and I wish that Walker or any GOP candidate would accept that Evolution is the scientific consensus. You can believe in God and believe that humans evolved.

Makes sense. I do think the reason that this is such an awkward question for Walker though is that an answer either way alienates him because of the position the far right of the GOP has taken the entire party. If he says he believes in evolution, a very straightforward position which is almost assuredly true, he loses credibility with the social conservative fundamentalists. If he says he doesn't believe in evolution he loses the ability to siphon off many (any?) moderate voters.

His tweet wasn't satisfactory either, he's gonna have to address it directly. I was hoping that he would be able to field questions directly, but clearly he was caught off guard. Bad sign.

Are there really that many people who would change their vote if a candidate they previously supported said something like "Evolution is the current best theory describing the development of species we have today. I don't believe that precludes the existence of a creator, a guiding hand in the universe" or some nonsense like that?

Are there really that many people who would change their vote if a candidate they previously supported said something like "Evolution is the current best theory describing the development of species we have today. I don't believe that precludes the existence of a creator, a guiding hand in the universe" or some nonsense like that?

I would hope not! And I don't understand why that isn't the auto response for these guys?

Yeah I have no idea...doesn't seem like you would lose too many people with this statement. You probably lose people with a "I don't know" wishy washy response though.

Back