• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

May not be fair, but Walker didn't finish college so he's going to be judged differently in some quarters than other candidates. To compensate you'd think that he'd be really quick and street smart, but that doesn't appear to be the case either. OTOH, Jindal has zero excuse for his position on evolution.

Wouldn't vote for a candidate who doesn't believe in evolution or someone who is against abortion in all cases. Pro-choice with exceptions is a reasonable position, so I still can't believe the GOP platform is without exceptions. Neither McCain nor Mitt supported that position. Tough general election sledding for anyone who wins the GOP nomination purely via social conservatives.

Actually, they'd probably say it's up to the mother and her doctors.

Hillary Clinton would answer that?

So if mom wants her 40 weeker to be aborted, that's cool with everyone?

Hillary Clinton would answer that?

So if mom wants her 40 weeker to be aborted, that's cool with everyone?

No. It wouldn't be cool with her doctors.

Hilary actually has the strongest abortion platform of any Dem I can think of. She basically says let's try to avoid abortions at any and all cost by funding education programs, providing easy access to birth control, funding Planned Parenthood, and creating good living environments for children. But in some unavoidable cases, let's make sure it's legal so women can be safe and not have to revert to dangerous back alley procedures.

Hilary actually has the strongest abortion platform of any Dem I can think of. She basically says let's try to avoid abortions at any and all cost by funding education programs, providing easy access to birth control, funding Planned Parenthood, and creating good living environments for children. But in some unavoidable cases, let's make sure it's legal so women can be safe and not have to revert to dangerous back alley procedures.

That's exactly what everyone's stance should be

Reading more about Walker and he is a weird dude. Not weird by GOP standards but weird by normal standards.

Walker is definitely dorky. He's going to make Mitt seem like George Clooney. Tonette's not going to help him either.

Walker is definitely dorky. He's going to make Mitt seem like George Clooney. Tonette's not going to help him either.

Exactly. Not sure how national Republicans don't see this. He seems to be a weird guy to be rallying around. Any man who is going to win the election has to at minimum seem like a good guy and have a decently attractive wife. Every president in my lifetime except Bush 1 met both of those and he clearly met the first. I don't think Walker meets either.

Exactly. Not sure how national Republicans don't see this. He seems to be a weird guy to be rallying around. Any man who is going to win the election has to at minimum seem like a good guy and have a decently attractive wife. Every president in my lifetime except Bush 1 met both of those and he clearly met the first. I don't think Walker meets either.

Because he won 3 statewide elections in just a few years!

Because he won 3 statewide elections in just a few years!

nfl_u_cheesehead_576.jpg

Meh. The 'pubs will rally around a number of different folks over the next 12 months. Then when it gets time to actually vote, they will coalesce around Romn- I mean Bush.

I mean, how hard is it to forget that Bachmann, Cain, Santorum, and Gingrich all had their moments in the sun during 2011?

Bush is a weaker version of McCain or Romney. I'm not sure he has what it takes to last to that point.

Walker was in a recall because he was going after the public sector unions. Nevertheless, many voters didn't feel the recall was justified so he kept his job. His recent opponent was pretty weak so he won again. Not all that popular and hasn't created the jobs he promised. Not ready for prime time.

Interesting article on Walker dropping out of Marquette after a failed run for student body president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...17ea44-b13e-11e4-886b-c22184f27c35_story.html

Not even his friends at Marquette were entirely sure why he never finished. Some had heard that a parent had fallen ill, or maybe there was some financial strain. Others thought he had simply had enough of school.
Walker clearly liked college politics more than college itself. He had managed to line up 47 campaign endorsements, including ones from the ski team and the varsity chorus, but he had trouble showing up on time for French.

And, after four years, he had faltered on both fronts. He’d lost an ugly race for president. And he apparently had far too few credits to graduate.
Kevin Miller, who knew Walker from the Marquette Students for Life, described Walker’s thinking at the time as: “ ‘I’d rather have a full-time job and have the rest of my time to spend on politics.’ ” He said Walker intended to go back to school at some point. “I never got any indication that it was anything other than that. Or anything more than that.”
Walker’s own explanation has been short and simple. He got a job. He meant to go back. But he just never found the time.

Campaigning, on the other hand, was something Walker seemed to enjoy. But he had trouble winning. As a freshman, for instance, he ran for a higher office in student government and was defeated by a write-in candidate.
“I remember walking out and thinking, ‘Oh, we’ll never have to worry about that guy again,’ ” said Glen Barry, who had helped organize the write-in campaign. He was one of the people Walker had investigated for impeachment, and he was still upset about how he’d been treated. “We used to call him Niedermeyer,” Barry said, after the power-mad ROTC leader in the movie “Animal House.”

Interesting article on Walker dropping out of Marquette after a failed run for student body president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...17ea44-b13e-11e4-886b-c22184f27c35_story.html

Not even his friends at Marquette were entirely sure why he never finished. Some had heard that a parent had fallen ill, or maybe there was some financial strain. Others thought he had simply had enough of school.
Walker clearly liked college politics more than college itself. He had managed to line up 47 campaign endorsements, including ones from the ski team and the varsity chorus, but he had trouble showing up on time for French.

And, after four years, he had faltered on both fronts. He’d lost an ugly race for president. And he apparently had far too few credits to graduate.
Kevin Miller, who knew Walker from the Marquette Students for Life, described Walker’s thinking at the time as: “ ‘I’d rather have a full-time job and have the rest of my time to spend on politics.’ ” He said Walker intended to go back to school at some point. “I never got any indication that it was anything other than that. Or anything more than that.”
Walker’s own explanation has been short and simple. He got a job. He meant to go back. But he just never found the time.

Campaigning, on the other hand, was something Walker seemed to enjoy. But he had trouble winning. As a freshman, for instance, he ran for a higher office in student government and was defeated by a write-in candidate.
“I remember walking out and thinking, ‘Oh, we’ll never have to worry about that guy again,’ ” said Glen Barry, who had helped organize the write-in campaign. He was one of the people Walker had investigated for impeachment, and he was still upset about how he’d been treated. “We used to call him Niedermeyer,” Barry said, after the power-mad ROTC leader in the movie “Animal House.”

Niedermeyer is actually a pretty good archetype for a modern-day 'pub leader- smug, entitled, hates those with less money than him, not completely stupid, but totally lacking in social graces.

Meh. The 'pubs will rally around a number of different folks over the next 12 months. Then when it gets time to actually vote, they will coalesce around Romn- I mean Bush.

I mean, how hard is it to forget that Bachmann, Cain, Santorum, and Gingrich all had their moments in the sun during 2011?

Walker was in a recall because he was going after the public sector unions. Nevertheless, many voters didn't feel the recall was justified so he kept his job. His recent opponent was pretty weak so he won again. Not all that popular and hasn't created the jobs he promised. Not ready for prime time.

Tim Pawlenty was pretty much in Walker's position (charisma challenged blue state 'Pub Gov from the Midwest) at this point in 2011. Not exactly the favorite, but an alternative to the establishment favorite. Pawlenty, like Mitt, made a concerted effort to move right and didn't across as authentic.

To Walker's credit, he hasn't wavered from his original political positions, but he's not all that close to the center of the national electorate and it's not clear how his dorky Wisconsin persona will play nationwide. Walker seems more like Reince Priebus than Paul Ryan to me.

GOP base loves Walker's performance during the recall and he's faced incredible scrutiny at least on the statewide level. Don't think he was kicked out of Marquette for cheating, but the circumstances of his leaving are kinda odd. Think he's a dorkier version of Pawlenty with much more conservative street cred. Bodes well for the primaries.

If Walker was running against pseudo-cool Obama, then his dorky persona would bother me a bit.

But he's either running against PantSuit McGee or a far left candidate to be named later. Not as concerned. Also, have you seen most of America?

If Walker was running against pseudo-cool Obama, then his dorky persona would bother me a bit.

But he's either running against PantSuit McGee or a far left candidate to be named later. Not as concerned. Also, have you seen most of America?

Except we haven't elected an ugly or awkward president since Nixon.

Back