• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Scott Walker.

I think a foreign policy expert/someone with foreign policy experience could be a darkhorse. Don't know who this person is but could come from no where.

Jeb, Walker, Kasich, Christie, Rand, Mitt. None of those guys are going to terrify the middle of the electorate. Whether they can carry the necessary swing states or even pry away a major blue state (CA, NY, IL, PA) is a huge open question. Realize the GOP primary base hates several of those (Mitt, Jeb, Christie), but people really don't trust the GOP House to govern in a pragmatic non-ideological manner and hate their social policies. 'Pubs also need to offer up a reasonable/rational immigration policy, given the demographics and the lack of filibuster or veto proof majorities. Adding a swing state Latino Governor like Susana Martinez or Brian Sandoval as VP would help. Carly Fiorina may be a possibility to counter the Hillary factor, but Fiorina ran HP into a ditch and lost to a very beatable Barbara Boxer in her only run for office. A more polished scandal free female version of Herman Cain doesn't cut it for VP. Can't see a win with any of the Tea Party/social conservatives (Cruz, Carson, Huckabee, Santorum, Perry, Palin) as any part of the ticket. They terrify swing moderates and centrist general election voters who decide close elections.

At this point Mitt is a known quantity. We already know he can't win a presidential election. He shouldn't be invited to the table for a chance at failing again.

I love Humtsman. He isn't dynamic enough to win the primary. I think it is christie or Jeb.

At this point Mitt is a known quantity. We already know he can't win a presidential election. He shouldn't be invited to the table for a chance at failing again.

I am hoping the press conf today means he's NOT running. Would have been a good POTUS but he couldn't overcome his past mistakes.

Huntsman should get elected to another office before he tries to jump into a race like this...also he's gotta prove to me he's not Mark Warner w/ an R beside his name.

I am hoping the press conf today means he's NOT running. Would have been a good POTUS but he couldn't overcome his past mistakes.

I agree that mitt would make a really good president. But he is a pretty awful politician.

Would like to see Mitch Daniels or Huntsman run, but they won't and wouldn't win the nomination if they did. It's a pity since both would be strong general election candidates who would likely govern as pragmatic centrists. Rob Portman would bring the same qualities to the VP slot.

Lindsey Graham is forming an exploratory committee and Romney may clarify his intentions today.

Bloomberg is about the only Republican household name I can genuinely find common ground with. Some definite differences on plenty of issues but I think he can reach across the aisle. Personally, I hope the GOP runs a Cruz or Carson. The comedy factor is there, as Palin proved/s, but also it guarantees another Democratic victory. Which is no good thing either but lesser of two evils/devil you know, etc.

Bloomberg you like cause he's a liberal :plos:

and nooooo thanks on tiny Lindsey

Met Lindsey Graham at the Sea Captain's House in Myrtle.

Tiny hands.

Lindsey's alleged sexuality doesn't appear to be an issue in SC, but interesting to see how it would play on a national stage especially if marriage equality is the law of the land. OTOH, Mitch Daniels never ran nationally because he didn't want to discuss some marital issues. Seems odd to me that these things don't/haven't stuck on a state level, but might be problems nationally.

Rumney ain't running. Phew

Interesting. Good for him.

Dude has a great family, enjoy the hell out of them

Exactly. It blows my mind all these people in their late 60s with grandkids eager to run for president.

Back