• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Traffic Ticket Advice

Absolutely not true. Just paid lawyer, court costs and a fine for 89 in a 70 with it reduced to "improper equipment". It will cost you about $500 but all the gubment cares about is the money.

I would lawyer up.

Good luck!

You weren't convicted of 89 in a 70. You were convicted of improper equipment.

You weren't convicted of 89 in a 70. You were convicted of improper equipment.

Correct. The post was that any citation over 80 is automatic suspension of license. I was cited for 89. I was convicted of improper equipment.

Thus, it is not true that any citation over 80 is an automatic suspension.

Ok

Someone close to me was clocked going 63 in a 45 mph zone (Silas Creek Parkway ftl). She has no prior tickets/violations.

The officer officially charged her with 54 in 45 zone.

So just pay it and try to avoid further violations?

Any reason to do otherwise?

Thx.

Last edited:
I’ll bump once in case anyone knowledgeable and willing might reply.

The most common advice on threads like these are PJC or plead faulty instruments. The faulty instrument (her speedometer) can be used once. The PJC will not count this ticket on her record if she does not get another one for three (?) years. If she does get another ticket during PJC period, both tickets count on her record. It is like a double or nothing bet with the court.

Thx.

My understanding is each family gets 1 PJC every 3 years. Some say to hold that in reserve for a possibly more consequential charge should it occur.

For faulty equipment, do you have to do anything to document or show your equipment to be faulty? Or just show up on court day and say you think it was faulty?

My understanding is that since the charge is for less than 10 mph over the limit there should not be any insurance rate effects based on this single ticket (in NC).

Since i don't really think the equipment was faulty and since it makes sense (I think) to save the PJC, I think we're leaning towards just paying the ticket.

Am I misunderstanding anything significant here?

Thx again.

Thx.

My understanding is each family gets 1 PJC every 3 years. Some say to hold that in reserve for a possibly more consequential charge should it occur.

For faulty equipment, do you have to do anything to document or show your equipment to be faulty? Or just show up on court day and say you think it was faulty?

My understanding is that since the charge is for less than 10 mph over the limit there should not be any insurance rate effects based on this single ticket (in NC).

Since i don't really think the equipment was faulty and since it makes sense (I think) to save the PJC, I think we're leaning towards just paying the ticket.

Am I misunderstanding anything significant here?

Thx again.

No - you are correct. First ticket like that should not impact insurance - and that is all you really care about. If she gets another one within 3 years THEN you use the PJC and she would still have no insurance impact. If she gets a third one within the 3 years she would be screwed and that would be when you lawyer up and try to get out of it.

Great, that's a very helpful confirmation (of what I could glean from the Internet).

1st one she's had in forever, so hopefully she won't get another anytime soon.

Thanks very much.

Not quite a traffic ticket but

A few weeks ago I paid a toll (about $5) online to Elizabeth River Tunnels (ERT). Got a confirmation screen, assumed I was good to go. Two days ago, I got a letter saying that my payment was returned, and a $15 Returned Payment fee was added to my account. Allegedly, I may have entered my account information wrong. My question is-is there any burden of proof that ERT has? I'm pretty sure I entered it right. It's $15, so probably not worth contesting, but I am curious if I have a point. but ERT has an awful reputation (for instance, https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...cam_Norfolk_city_tunnel-Norfolk_Virginia.html).

Back