• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU’s Associate Chaplain for Muslim Life

Sending out an email blast containing that sort of shortsightedness is fucking moron material. Dude's highest lvl of education is undergrad from Howard though so not like we're dealing w a genius.

Last edited:
Winston-Harlem. Instead of Winston-Salem. I get it. It's not funny, and somewhere between an Arizona State and a Binghamton in terms of humor-level, but I get it. It says Harlem instead of Salem, all the while keeping the Winston in front of it.

Winston-Harlem. Instead of Winston-Salem. I get it. It's not funny, and somewhere between an Arizona State and a Binghamton in terms of humor-level, but I get it. It says Harlem instead of Salem, all the while keeping the Winston in front of it.

Sadly, the laugh rate on that joke is better than the getting laid rate by a female of your average Theta-Chi. (Another joke!)

However, the awareness you displayed in noting the not-funniness if the not-really-meant-to-be-a-joke shows more awareness of the human condition than that response email.

the tenor of the email comes off as naive, and i know it does seem reasonable not to respond at all to idiots like woodsmall

on the other hand, it's his job to make muslim students (and before that, muslims of all kind in winston-salem) feel at home, comfortable, and anything but marginalized and afraid

he's not exactly going to come out and be like "lol ignore that jerk he's a dick obvi"

and i don't expect people outside the academic world to be familiar with islamic modes of discourse, but refusal to acknowledge pervasive anti-islamic bigotry isn't burying heads in the sand, and it's not just denial - it's a way of downplaying a persecution complex

again, as you pointed out, you can't expect a wide audience to know this, but there are lots of good reads on the subject - http://www.tabahfoundation.org/research/pdfs/Tabah_Research_papers_en_003.pdf

Perhaps the most looming challenge before Islam today is to be understood. Misrepresentation on the part of international media punditry does contribute much to this dilemma, as well as a general myopia within the consciousness of Western publics regarding their own "others"; a category within which Islam, more often than not, features as a primary candidate. We would be remiss, however, if we did not acknowledge the shortcomings of contemporary Muslim discourse to achieve the target of clarity.

Sadly, the laugh rate on that joke is better than the getting laid rate by a female of your average Theta-Chi. (Another joke!)

However, the awareness you displayed in noting the not-funniness if the not-really-meant-to-be-a-joke shows more awareness of the human condition than that response email.

The-Dude.gif

That goes for several people on this thread.

The dude had a bucket of piss left on his doorstep, has been subject to unfounded personal attacks for months by a group of crazy alums, and said crazy alums just emailed pretty much the entire Wake Forest community repeating those personal attacks. I'd love to think that our alumni are smart enough to ignore such drivel, but experience has taught me that a decent number of them are not. A response was warranted.

"When I accepted the position of Associate Chaplain at Wake Forest in 2010, I could not have imagined that Islam, and the ethos of the overwhelming majority of the 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide, would be so maligned and attacked as it has been."

Really dude? Post 9/11 at a super expensive private school made up of 92% white apex douche predators? This never occurred to you?

Fucking moron.

Say what you want about the tenets of Islam, at least it's an ethos.

I feel left out not being on the email list. #damoslifematters

I read an article about this whole mess from the Washington Post and that nutjob Woodsmall said so far he had only contacted alumni from the 1940s-1970s & was working on acquiring email addresses for more recent alums. I hope someone cuts off his access to our email addresses posthaste. This guy creeps me the **** out!

I read an article about this whole mess from the Washington Post and that nutjob Woodsmall said so far he had only contacted alumni from the 1940s-1970s & was working on acquiring email addresses for more recent alums. I hope someone cuts off his access to our email addresses posthaste. This guy creeps me the **** out!

can't wait for all the #hottakes from the 8xdeacs!

I am from this century and got the email as well.

and i don't expect people outside the academic world to be familiar with islamic modes of discourse, but refusal to acknowledge pervasive anti-islamic bigotry isn't burying heads in the sand, and it's not just denial - it's a way of downplaying a persecution complex

Im all in on the fact that you had to stop and crank it after typing this sentence. Holy pretentious gasbag alert, Batman.

You know, even baby Allah looks down on dudes in their 40s still referencing Greek/undergrad life. Sorta sad, all kinds of strange. As a jihad FYI

Back