• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

Dont get me wrong, I think he did a great job for a bunch of years. But just bc a dude is funny on TV doesnt mean he is a good dude. Most of the parole evidence suggests he is not IRL. & I think we are getting more of the real JS and less of the TV JS as he gets older. That's all.

It's a pretty well known/established fact that he's a total dick IRL.

I like Stewart's barely contained rage, but it did get old nearing the end of his run... especially when it wasn't really warranted and he had to manufacture it. But Trump's run is perfect for Stewart, and his emoting incredulity and anger are a perfect reaction to that shit show.

I like Stewart's barely contained rage, but it did get old nearing the end of his run... especially when it wasn't really warranted and he had to manufacture it. But Trump's run is perfect for Stewart, and his emoting incredulity and anger are a perfect reaction to that shit show.

this

He did his best work in volatile times and wasn't as good at the long-view stuff like Oliver.

Like: "About 13% of the world's adults -- or about 630 million people -- say they would like to leave their country and move somewhere else permanently."

No, 13% of the world's adults didn't say that.

Nor did 630 million people.

And, hell, my original post there was confusion about the poll surveying (significantly more than) 120 million people. Which, obviously, it didn't.

If damo's original post had said that it was a projected 120 million, or if the article's headline said that the figure was projected, or if the article itself had led off by describing what 13% of the surveyed sample said, then I probably wouldn't have responded at all.

Have you ever taken a stats class?

Still gonna bump this one after the last few posts.

Take general election polls for example and say Clinton is up 45-40 over Trump. The headlines on those polls, which I do not believe are misleading and maybe you do RSF, say "Clinton leads Trump 45-40 with registered/likely voters." The poll didn't ask every registered or likely voter in the country to get the data, but used proper methodology and polling to extrapolate to the population.

Still gonna bump this one after the last few posts.

Take general election polls for example and say Clinton is up 45-40 over Trump. The headlines on those polls, which I do not believe are misleading and maybe you do RSF, say "Clinton leads Trump 45-40 with registered/likely voters." The poll didn't ask every registered or likely voter in the country to get the data, but used proper methodology and polling to extrapolate to the population.

Right, and the headline you offer there would be fine, because the implication is different. If the headline said "13% of people say they want to leave their country", that's fine. Saying that 120 million people said that, and then saying that "13% of the world's adults" said that, is less fine, because there's no implication of extrapolation.

(and yeah this is all pedantic and stupid and I'm sorry for continuing it, but "mean what you say and say what you mean," and all that. it's a bad article.)

He did his best work in volatile times and wasn't as good at the long-view stuff like Oliver.

Oliver is much smarter than John Stewart. Stewart is a comedian who turned a comedy show into fake news and then it evolved into fake news with some political commentary of marginal depth. Oliver picks an issue apart down to the molecules. He's slanted because he produces opinion pieces, and I can't say I agree with him all the time, but Oliver is lights out smart.

I wouldn't limit Stewart's intelligence based on the fact that he's commenting on news media. I think the interviews he conducted on an array of subjects of which he often dove fairly deep illustrated he's a very intelligent man regardless of your beliefs politically.

Oliver is much smarter than John Stewart. Stewart is a comedian who turned a comedy show into fake news and then it evolved into fake news with some political commentary of marginal depth. Oliver picks an issue apart down to the molecules. He's slanted because he produces opinion pieces, and I can't say I agree with him all the time, but Oliver is lights out smart.

Funny thing is John Oliver would completely disagree but Jon Stewart would probably laugh in agreement.

Whatever your arbitrary measures for "smartness" are - there's no denying that Stewart created Oliver. And that's Oliver's statement, not anyone's opinion.

I don't know how any semi-regular viewer of TDS could argue that Stewart isn't very, very intelligent.

I don't know how any semi-regular viewer of TDS could argue that Stewart isn't very, very intelligent.

Seriously. He has his schtick, but when he's being serious he's lights out. Go watch the Jim Cramer interview

Back