• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

Stewart essentially spawned three shows, helped provide a lead in to another successful show and now he is leaving. Good for him.

This sucks. Not to mention the timing is pretty bad. First, he won't cover the 2016 election and they'll still be breaking in the new person by then. Second, he leaves almost immediately after the two best options for replacing him left - Colbert and John Oliver. Maybe they can get Oliver back from HBO, but that show is killing it so maybe not.

You need someone funny but also sincere if the show is going to maintain its legitimacy - and it's hard to find comedians like that who can also carry a nightly show. They may have to dig into the younger/lesser known crowd to find someone.

Colbert was never going to take over TDS, his character on the Report just made that impossible; I agree on John Oliver though. However, there are some good things about the timing...I think the 2016 election will provide the new host with enough easy material for the first year or so to enable the host to establish them selves and retain or build the audience. It's a wide open race in both Parties (technically) and there are a whole bunch of idiots clamoring for center stage.

I sincerely hope the new host isn't Samantha Bee.

The Daily Show was reportedly paying Stewart $25-30MM a year. That's worth some late nights. I doubt Oliver makes that at HBO. Not to say that CC would offer Oliver that to come back, but they probably would be able to offer him considerably more than he gets at HBO.

FWIW, I thought the show didn't miss a beat when Oliver was hosting when Stewart was on leave directing his movie. Bee/Jones hosted when Stewart was sick once, and they were not nearly as good as Oliver. They're great as correspondents, but not as hosts.

You read it here first- Brian Williams to replace Jon Stewart.

Reactions: Go
Jason Jones could do a Colbert-ish schtick, but not sure he could carry TDS. This is gonna leave a big void unless John Oliver goes to a nightly format.

Crushing news.

Oliver's 2014 HBO deal was for two years with an option for more. No idea whose option it is. He's probably not available until spring 2016.

the only correspondent on the show now that could work would be Samantha Bee. unless you really want to change the tenor of the show (like kilborn to Stewart) is to find someone to be a real straight man to all the clowns. Aasif Mandvi is ok, but his voice is kind of annoying.

the only correspondent on the show now that could work would be Samantha Bee. unless you really want to change the tenor of the show (like kilborn to Stewart) is to find someone to be a real straight man to all the clowns. Aasif Mandvi is ok, but his voice is kind of annoying.

I vote for Jessica Williams

Please not Samantha Bee. And no Dennis Miller/Bill Maher snarky asshole types.

I love Sam Bee, but I'm not sure she could play straight enough to be an anchor.

Back