• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

The more I think about it, the more CC just needs to pay Oliver whatever it takes and beg Stewart to beg his old friend to come back. The only other person I can think of who might be okay is Larry Wilmore, but then they'd have to get a new companion show for TDS.

Am I the only one that feels that Colbert and Stewart are completely and utterly irreplaceable and that it's foolish to try anything other than just starting from scratch with new shows and new ideas and new personalities instead of trying to reverse engineer somebody into these spots?

Am I the only one that feels that Colbert and Stewart are completely and utterly irreplaceable and that it's foolish to try anything other than just starting from scratch with new shows and new ideas and new personalities instead of trying to reverse engineer somebody into these spots?

i don't think you shoe horn someone into be john sterwart 2.0 but you absolutely could find someone to do "the daily show" with a similar agenda (humor, news, politics etc). you just need to find the person (and writers) that can make the show their own.

John Oliver is awesome, but I like Last Week Tonight, I'd rather he keep that going.

Jessica Williams is the best.

I also like the Nightly Show.

Basically I like everything, I guess, so they're probably not going to lose me as a fan unless someone awful takes over.

Would guess they don't go white male this time.

W. Kamau Bell killed it on FX, but the channel just doesn't have the reach. I think he'd be a great replacement.

no

Would guess they don't go white male this time.

W. Kamau Bell killed it on FX, but the channel just doesn't have the reach. I think he'd be a great replacement.

I guess they don't have two black hosts back to back.

Jessica Williams is awesome and fine as hell though.

The Daily Show was great before Stewart and will be afterwards. Expect a broad search. The show originated with an ESPN anchor.

Last edited:

I think that's the knee-jerk reaction for many - but it's similar to how people felt when Kilborn left and Stewart took over. Worked out ok.

I think that's right, and new shows/ideas is basically what's happened with John Oliver and Larry Wilmore, right? Let the new personality dictate the content of the show.

By the way, I'm totally IN for Jason Jones/Samantha Bee co-hosting something.

I think that's the knee-jerk reaction for many - but it's similar to how people felt when Kilborn left and Stewart took over. Worked out ok.

Yeah, I was a Kilborn fan and didn't watch as much when Stewart started but got back into it.

I'm not so sure. What else is she really doing right now?

if you watched her "comedians in cars getting coffee" (great episode) or read her book "bossypants" (great read), she talks a lot about not necessarily wanting to work anymore, focusing on raising her kids, etc

this could be a tempting offer though i'm not sure she has the political background or demeanor for this kind of show, though her weekend updates were very good

I know it's been throw out there as a joke, but why not go after Brian Williams. That would do mega ratings LOL. If BW career turns out to be over, what an awesome transition that would be. Who else is gonna offer him upwards of $20M a year to be on TV? And he could do it, comedy, satire, the whole bit.

Back