• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

John Mulaney's recent tv show was hot garbage, but I think he could do it. Steve Higgins would also be solid I think. It seems like the key is to find an intelligent young-ish writer with enough charisma to hold an audience, so
basically you need a 30-40 something comedian who gives a shit about politics but isn't super abrasive. Fuck, give it to Hannibal Burress!

Last edited:
I don't get the appeal of John Mulaney. I've only seen him on the Kroll Show and guest spots in some things but I don't see it.

Hardwick is not the right guy for that show. Not at all.

Would Mo Rocca leave CBS to take the gig?

I hate mo rocca. Hate. No chance he gets that job. I can't listen to him for a 3 minute interview piece.

As it turns out, Mulaney is an excellent writer and joke teller and an above average stand-up, but a really shitty comedic (and Im assuming dramatic) actor.

He's just waaay too stiff. I still think he could be very good in the daily show if he wanted it. He did a half dozen years as a writer on SNL, so he is used to crazy hours, but who knows if he would want that again.

The rumor is that he was basically next in line for weekend update before he quit to do his own show, which would have made sense in the witty writer to update desk mold that Fey and Myers followed.

When he bolted, it basically left the show with no plan and the improvised disaster that was/is the Cecily Strong/Colin Jost/Michael Che era of Update.

He also created Stefon with Hader and would sub out punchlines on the cue cards at the last minute so Hader would read them on air for the first time and break like crazy

Aziz Ansari. That dude could totally do it and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he would take it. Make it so.

Aziz Ansari. That dude could totally do it and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he would take it. Make it so.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get somebody at that level or higher. Not sure how political he is, but he's damned funny. He's available after killing it on Parks & Rec for all these years.

His latest stand up tour (Modern Romance) was a lot more earnest and sincere and a lot less swaggy than his earlier stuff. Could definitely see him going for a serious job like the Daily Show

In his stand up, he talks about his race, growing up in South Carolina, etc, so it seems to be in his wheelhouse.

Wouldn't count out Amy Poehler for the job either.

I don't know why she or Ansari would want it they both seem capable of bigger things.

The Daily Show is a pretty big thing. And doesn't look like any late night openings are coming anytime soon.

Back