• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

The dude only appeared on the Daily Show three times and he gets the head gig? WTF hire. And from what I've seen, he's not funny, at all.

wow its official. I wonder how many people they swung and missed on, id guess quite a few

ugh, this is like watching the post-Skip Wake Forest bball coaching search all over again

The dude only appeared on the Daily Show three times and he gets the head gig? WTF hire. And from what I've seen, he's not funny, at all.

All of this. I'm officially #Noahwaitandsee though. I doubt Stewart would have been funny as a correspondent.

He's only 31 but he's been doing this kind of thing a long time. Look up his career.

After doing so myself, I'm convinced Noah was Stewart's hand-picked successor. Stewart clearly has a deep appreciation for people who do what he does around the globe. Noah had his own late night show on South African TV. He did acting as well as news, sports, and entertainment reporting. He has a stand up comedy career.

This would explain why Jones and Bee are leaving and why there was never a public list of candidates.

Last edited:
If Noah can pull off Mitch McConnell's turtle voice and the "generic NY/NJ Italian" voice that Stewart does so well, I'm on board.

He's only 31 but he's been doing this kind of thing a long time. Look up his career.

After doing so myself, I'm convinced Noah was Stewart's hand-picked successor. Stewart clearly has a deep appreciation for people who do what he does around the globe. Noah had his own late night show on South African TV. He did acting as well as news, sports, and entertainment reporting. He has a stand up comedy career.

This would explain why Jones and Bee are leaving and why there was never a public list of candidates.

It's a really risky move for CC and The Daily Show to be making. The network is already seeing a huge drop off for Larry Whitmore's show. Jon Stewart currently averages around 1.2 million viewers a night. Colbert averaged roughly the same, some nights better, some nights worse. During election cycles both shows would sometimes double their nightly audience. On the other hand, Whitmore debuted at roughly 950,000 and his average has already dropped to around 650,000 a night. That's close to 500,000 viewers that have moved on. And now for them to hire a relatively unknown(except for in South Africa) comic to run their flagship show... to me, it's just a really odd choice. Interested to see how it turns out because from what videos and clips I've seen of Trevor Noah online, I just don't think he's very funny. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I've been a loyal viewer of the Daily Show for a long time.

Yeah, he's not funny. South African accents are super annoying. Like british person with something up their butt.

Stewart is such a bedwetter that he probably thought this looked super cool on paper, like a perfect uber liberal choice. Doesnt work like that though.

Also, this continues the trend (Oliver) of having non-Americans tell us what we are supposed to think about politics and current events. American politics, race, social justice issues...they are all things that you can't really have your finger on the pulse of if you aren't from here. There's just too many vested traditions, leanings, proclivities and disputes that characterize what it is to be American, and having a foreigner step into that is dumb and just doesn't resonate.

At least Oliver was here maybe a decade before he got his own show. Im not sure this guy has ever even lived here.

Last edited:
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 6m6 minutes ago
Heard Comedy Central pursued 3 big-ass names for Daily Show: Poehler, Louis CK, Schumer. Went 0 for 3. Young/cheap/upside was smart audible.

Heard Comedy Central pursued 3 big-ass names for Daily Show: Poehler, Louis CK, Schumer. Went 0 for 3. Young/cheap/upside was smart audible.

WTF? Shumer is the only person I could see even considering that offer.

Sounds a lot like the WF bball coaching search

Yeah. All three have a higher ceiling than Leno, Letterman, Conan, Fallon, and definitely Seth Myers. They needed something safe and stable. They can't act, much like Stewart. Poehler finished a run starring in one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Louis CK can do just about anything he wants. Schumer already has a great CC show and early reviews of her upcoming movie Trainwreck are very positive. She'll probably be able to do anything she wants within the next few years.

it's definitely something you consider when john stewart is making 25-30 million per year. not that i am surprised they turned it down but do that for a few years and, like stewart, you have f u money and can walk away.

it's definitely something you consider when john stewart is making 25-30 million per year. not that i am surprised they turned it down but do that for a few years and, like stewart, you have f u money and can walk away.

Stewart also has much less flexibility than they do, especially Louis CK.

shaka smart reportedly interested

topper-lutz.jpg

Back