• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

Good god, what a complete waste of Amy Schumer if she'd taken that job. Good move on her to turn it down. Same for CK.

topper-lutz.jpg

06-29-13-haas-reax-to-11.gif

Im thinking with the handoffs they are now doing between the two, etc., that this might have been the plan all along. I think its a very real possiblity that the Nightly Show just replaces the Daily Show.

Also, I am sort of out on John Oliver. Dude has his moments, but those in depth segments, when they miss, which is becoming more and more often, just turn into an annoying 140lb self-righteous limey yelling about the problems of America for 10 minutes. No thanks.

Yeah, he's not funny. South African accents are super annoying. Like british person with something up their butt.

Stewart is such a bedwetter that he probably thought this looked super cool on paper, like a perfect uber liberal choice. Doesnt work like that though.

Also, this continues the trend (Oliver) of having non-Americans tell us what we are supposed to think about politics and current events. American politics, race, social justice issues...they are all things that you can't really have your finger on the pulse of if you aren't from here. There's just too many vested traditions, leanings, proclivities and disputes that characterize what it is to be American, and having a foreigner step into that is dumb and just doesn't resonate.

At least Oliver was here maybe a decade before he got his own show. Im not sure this guy has ever even lived here.

God forbid somebody with an outside perspective be able to comment on America's problems without our biases attached. Such horror. USA USA USA USA!!11!

God forbid somebody with an outside perspective be able to comment on America's problems without our biases attached. Such horror. USA USA USA USA!!11!

Do you want the EPL to put me in as color commentator for when the 153lb baby bitches chase each other around the grass on the weekends?

Outsider perspective.

TAB doesn't understand the difference between qualified and unqualified opinions

Pretty sure my understanding of soccer is a bit more in depth than this bro's understanding of American politics. He's never lived here and it's not clear he even went to college. Im sure he'll be great though.

Dat John Oliver doe

will be interesting now that comedy central will have its' 2 flagship shows both anchored by blacks.

Pretty sure my understanding of soccer is a bit more in depth than this bro's understanding of American politics. He's never lived here and it's not clear he even went to college. Im sure he'll be great though.

also, if you were actually funny and could make insightful comments despite a deep understanding of the sport, people wouldn't give a shit b/c #entertainment. Pretty sure Stewart was not an expert on politics or the Fifth Estate in modern america when he started

Do you want the EPL to put me in as color commentator for when the 153lb baby bitches chase each other around the grass on the weekends?

Outsider perspective.

sure, i'd enjoy seeing you embarrass yourself. have at it.

also, if you were actually funny and could make insightful comments despite a deep understanding of the sport, people wouldn't give a shit b/c #entertainment. Pretty sure Stewart was not an expert on politics or the Fifth Estate in modern america when he started

He's gotten a LOT better over time. You can dig up Stewart standup on Netflix of him making bad, bitter jokes about George HW Bush. He has still been honing the american politics satire craft for a long time before he got the Daily Show.

This kid may eventually find his footing, but even if he turns out to be good, it will probably be because it turns into a different show, focusing on his strengths, whatever those may be. Its still going to be a huge dropoff from Stewart, no matter what happens.

I read a bunch of his tweets in a HuffPo article. Most of them are somewhat offensive to someone, but he's a comedian, deal with it.

I thought most of them were pretty funny. I'm a fan.

They're no different jokes than you'd hear on Comedy Central.

Back