Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 167

Thread: Killing the IRS

  1. #1

    Killing the IRS

    I constant hear how people want to kill the IRS. If it goes away, would they just not replace it, so we wouldn't pay taxes, or would they just start over with simpler laws, or goes to VAT tax? What is the benefit of killing the IRS other than political points?

  2. #2
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    50,169
    it's not the IRS per-se; it's the tax code that creates the bloated IRS; pretty sure we've got a pretty lengthy and not-awful discussion around here somewhere

    eta. were you referring to Cruz's remarks? I don't really understand that talking point, either, except with respect to my comment

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    it's not the IRS per-se; it's the tax code that creates the bloated IRS; pretty sure we've got a pretty lengthy and not-awful discussion around here somewhere

    eta. were you referring to Cruz's remarks? I don't really understand that talking point, either, except with respect to my comment
    Cruz's comments sent me down the path. I've heard it before and never really understood. It sounds great, no taxes, but it would never work. Without taxes, the infrastructure goes to crap.

  4. #4
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,095
    Quote Originally Posted by bernbp5 View Post
    Cruz's comments sent me down the path. I've heard it before and never really understood. It sounds great, no taxes, but it would never work. Without taxes, the infrastructure goes to crap.
    Which makes it easier to blame government.

  5. #5
    It plays with the local yokels who like to complain about how burdensome the tax code is before filing their 1040 which consists of a w2 @ the standard deduction.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    It plays with the local yokels who like to complain about how burdensome the tax code is before filing their 1040 which consists of a w2 @ the standard deduction.
    And them getting a refund.
    Hungry

  7. #7
    Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,301
    Everyone loves the IRS. Simple to file. Then you get a big refund. And the people are friendly and responsive when you call them on the phone or when they need to reach out to you for some reason.

  8. #8
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,095
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    And them getting a refund.
    That's the funniest thing about the IRS hate. Their biggest task every year is sending us money. Yet people hate them.

  9. #9
    Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,301
    Yep. Can't understand why anyone would have a problem with nice folks sending you cash every year.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    That's the funniest thing about the IRS hate. Their biggest task every year is sending us money. Yet people hate them.
    Perhaps because they took your $ for a year before "refunding" it to you? Im not sure what the rules are around withholding but my experiences are its hard to get it to an accurate amount withheld for the average Joe.

  11. #11
    Don't get me wrong, I hate the IRS and my grandfather spent his entire career with them. But, the Fox News watchers of the world complaining about the IRS and taxes is ludicrous.
    Hungry

  12. #12
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,095
    Quote Originally Posted by CHDeac View Post
    Perhaps because they took your $ for a year before "refunding" it to you? Im not sure what the rules are around withholding but my experiences are its hard to get it to an accurate amount withheld for the average Joe.
    Sure. But that process does not include any type of interaction with IRS. It's not like they have trained monkeys pulling cash out of people's paychecks. They do have trained monkeys sending people checks.

  13. #13
    Even if you go to a VAT, you need an agency to account for it, so the IRS will never go away. The bloat that is created by the complexity of tax laws is another matter, however...

  14. #14
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,488
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    That's the funniest thing about the IRS hate. Their biggest task every year is sending us money. Yet people hate them.
    LOL, the IRS has sent me one refund check in the past 20 years or so. I make quarterly tax deposits to the safe harbor level and pay the rest on 4/15. No way that I want them to hold more of my money than the minimum needed to prevent a penalty.

    If anyone is getting large refunds, you need to adjust your withholding.

  15. #15
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,488
    One of my nephews is a "Fair Tax", Fox viewing idiot. He.cannot understand that the IRS won't go away of we institute the supposed Fair Tax.

  16. #16
    The Pumpfaker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Peak, bitches
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by CHDeac View Post
    Perhaps because they took your $ for a year before "refunding" it to you? Im not sure what the rules are around withholding but my experiences are its hard to get it to an accurate amount withheld for the average Joe.
    It's not that hard. People are just stupid.

  17. #17
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot the Wonder View Post
    It's not that hard. People are just stupid.
    Yeah, people use withholding like a Christmas club. Hell, give me use of your money for a year and I'll give it back to you.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    One of my nephews is a "Fair Tax", Fox viewing idiot. He.cannot understand that the IRS won't go away of we institute the supposed Fair Tax.
    Or that he will end up paying more taxes to support the fact that the 1% will have the lowest effective tax rate.

  19. #19
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    50,169
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    LOL, the IRS has sent me one refund check in the past 20 years or so. I make quarterly tax deposits to the safe harbor level and pay the rest on 4/15. No way that I want them to hold more of my money than the minimum needed to prevent a penalty.

    If anyone is getting large refunds, you need to adjust your withholding.
    U

    Yeah, pretty dumb to let the gov make money off your money. Then again, if you need to use withholding as awake savings acct you've got bigger problems.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Or that he will end up paying more taxes to support the fact that the 1% will have the lowest effective tax rate.
    Nah, we're gonna cut the government down to size.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •