• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Killing the IRS

bernbp5

Reaction score
I constant hear how people want to kill the IRS. If it goes away, would they just not replace it, so we wouldn't pay taxes, or would they just start over with simpler laws, or goes to VAT tax? What is the benefit of killing the IRS other than political points?

it's not the IRS per-se; it's the tax code that creates the bloated IRS; pretty sure we've got a pretty lengthy and not-awful discussion around here somewhere

eta. were you referring to Cruz's remarks? I don't really understand that talking point, either, except with respect to my comment

it's not the IRS per-se; it's the tax code that creates the bloated IRS; pretty sure we've got a pretty lengthy and not-awful discussion around here somewhere

eta. were you referring to Cruz's remarks? I don't really understand that talking point, either, except with respect to my comment

Cruz's comments sent me down the path. I've heard it before and never really understood. It sounds great, no taxes, but it would never work. Without taxes, the infrastructure goes to crap.

Cruz's comments sent me down the path. I've heard it before and never really understood. It sounds great, no taxes, but it would never work. Without taxes, the infrastructure goes to crap.

Which makes it easier to blame government.

It plays with the local yokels who like to complain about how burdensome the tax code is before filing their 1040 which consists of a w2 @ the standard deduction.

It plays with the local yokels who like to complain about how burdensome the tax code is before filing their 1040 which consists of a w2 @ the standard deduction.

And them getting a refund.

Everyone loves the IRS. Simple to file. Then you get a big refund. And the people are friendly and responsive when you call them on the phone or when they need to reach out to you for some reason.

And them getting a refund.

That's the funniest thing about the IRS hate. Their biggest task every year is sending us money. Yet people hate them.

Yep. Can't understand why anyone would have a problem with nice folks sending you cash every year.

That's the funniest thing about the IRS hate. Their biggest task every year is sending us money. Yet people hate them.

Perhaps because they took your $ for a year before "refunding" it to you? Im not sure what the rules are around withholding but my experiences are its hard to get it to an accurate amount withheld for the average Joe.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the IRS and my grandfather spent his entire career with them. But, the Fox News watchers of the world complaining about the IRS and taxes is ludicrous.

Perhaps because they took your $ for a year before "refunding" it to you? Im not sure what the rules are around withholding but my experiences are its hard to get it to an accurate amount withheld for the average Joe.

Sure. But that process does not include any type of interaction with IRS. It's not like they have trained monkeys pulling cash out of people's paychecks. They do have trained monkeys sending people checks.

Even if you go to a VAT, you need an agency to account for it, so the IRS will never go away. The bloat that is created by the complexity of tax laws is another matter, however...

LOL, the IRS has sent me one refund check in the past 20 years or so. I make quarterly tax deposits to the safe harbor level and pay the rest on 4/15. No way that I want them to hold more of my money than the minimum needed to prevent a penalty.

If anyone is getting large refunds, you need to adjust your withholding.

One of my nephews is a "Fair Tax", Fox viewing idiot. He.cannot understand that the IRS won't go away of we institute the supposed Fair Tax.

It's not that hard. People are just stupid.

One of my nephews is a "Fair Tax", Fox viewing idiot. He.cannot understand that the IRS won't go away of we institute the supposed Fair Tax.
Or that he will end up paying more taxes to support the fact that the 1% will have the lowest effective tax rate.

LOL, the IRS has sent me one refund check in the past 20 years or so. I make quarterly tax deposits to the safe harbor level and pay the rest on 4/15. No way that I want them to hold more of my money than the minimum needed to prevent a penalty.

If anyone is getting large refunds, you need to adjust your withholding.
U

Yeah, pretty dumb to let the gov make money off your money. Then again, if you need to use withholding as awake savings acct you've got bigger problems.

Back