• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care that we haven't spent a ton of money. That's the correct approach, but I would at least like Gettleman to actually look at signing a mid-level WR like Shorts to fill the WR2 position. We have plenty of space for a move like that. I am most upset that Gettleman just flat out lied about a signing to make himself look good in an official release through the Panthers website. That's some bullshit.

I want us to sign a WR too, but I don't see the 'lies' that have you concerned. Did Oher not win a super bowl with Baltimore as the starting LT? Is he the answer? We don't know, Gman doesn't know. There is certainly injury concerns. Is he better than Bell? Likely. We won 7 games with Bell at LT, Oher should help improve on that. I don't believe Gman would sign Oherand pack it in. He'll draft a LT. Oher is a short term fix, in case the draft doesn't go our way or to provide depth/leadership to a rookie LT.

Guys... There are reports we've reached out to Crabtree and Shorts and Boykin, and we did sign Ginn. Not sure why you're butthurt about us going after WRs.

I want us to sign a WR too, but I don't see the 'lies' that have you concerned. Did Oher not win a super bowl with Baltimore as the starting LT? Is he the answer? We don't know, Gman doesn't know. There is certainly injury concerns. Is he better than Bell? Likely. We won 7 games with Bell at LT, Oher should help improve on that. I don't believe Gman would sign Oherand pack it in. He'll draft a LT. Oher is a short term fix, in case the draft doesn't go our way or to provide depth/leadership to a rookie LT.

No, he did not. Oher played the entire 2012 regular season as the starting LT and he was terrible at it. After losing 4 of their last 5 games, Bryant McKinnie was brought off the bench to become the starting LT for the entirety of the playoffs and Oher started at RT during their Super Bowl run. Here's on article on it.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Michael-Oher-A-Pro-Bowl-Caliber-Right-Tackle/d937a434-39cc-4e45-b6a1-ebf0c8a08b66

Oher played all of last year’s regular season at left tackle. He received a -11.5 grade from Pro Football Focus, the fourth-worst score among all left tackles with at least 10 games played at that position last season.

At the start of the playoffs, Bryant McKinnie was inserted back into the lineup and Oher moved to the right side. Over the next four games, Oher’s pass blocking improved dramatically. Among right tackles in the playoffs, he had the third-best grade (4.5).

I stand corrected, but I still believe he's a stopgap in case the draft doesn't pan out. There wasn't a lot of Free Agency options at LT. Maybe we're looking at him for RT? We'll see. I just don't think it's as big a deal to get all bent out of shape over.

At least we're not the eagles trying to follow the 3 running back mold we just got out of with Sproles, Murray and Matthews.

I stand corrected, but I still believe he's a stopgap in case the draft doesn't pan out. There wasn't a lot of Free Agency options at LT. Maybe we're looking at him for RT? We'll see. I just don't think it's as big a deal to get all bent out of shape over.

At least we're not the eagles trying to follow the 3 running back mold we just got out of with Sproles, Murray and Matthews.

I should say I have no problem with the Oher signing I thought we overpaid a bit but when the other option is nothing at all you do what you have to do. You are correct that there was actually nothing available in free agency at LT and we really did need to sign someone who can play tackle. I'd just really prefer he didn't come out with some easily disprovable bullshit to justify the signing or make himself look good. It worries me that he's either delusional or that he can't actually evaluate a tackle. This is the guy who told us Byron Bell would be great on the left side before last season. I'll only really be concerned if he doesn't pick a tackle early in the draft though. He's at least earned my patience to see what he does on draft day first.

Dwayne Bowe released. Older receivers are getting cut left and right.

Are we seriously not going to sign ANY of these FA wideouts? The big names that I thought were plausible are mostly off the board.. But can we at least get a hakeem nicks, or Dwyane Bowe or something?

Are we seriously not going to sign ANY of these FA wideouts? The big names that I thought were plausible are mostly off the board.. But can we at least get a hakeem nicks, or Dwyane Bowe or something?

Probably not. We have around $10M in cap room left. We need $5M to sign draft picks and Gettleman has said he likes to keep $5M emergency fund during the season in case he needs to sign someone.

We signed some dude named teddy williams, I think he's a CB

We're probably also waiting for the prices to come down on some of these guys. Becomes more and more of a buyer's market with each passing day

Panthers just signed a CB to a 2 year, 2.3 mil deal. Never played college football and has played one snap in the NFL ....Teddy Williams....

We are getting a dollar store talent for Wal-Mart pricing this is bullshit I'm moving to Canada.

Williams is a sprinter who has played for four other NFL teams and will primarily be a gunner on special teams.

We signed some dude named teddy williams, I think he's a CB
Between WF and the Panthers, I'm sick and tired of "building" a program and establishing culture or other shit. My patience is shot. I know the Panthers had a phenomenal draft last year. Yes, tons of talent. I know. But I can already see 2-3 years down the road and our bargain picks turn into FA monsters for other teams while we try to continue to bargain hunt from the draft and more penny slot pulls such as Teddy Williams.. Then Cam's career winds down and we start over again.

Williams is a sprinter who has played for four other NFL teams and will primarily be a gunner on special teams.

I mean that sounds great we need one but we paid over $1m per year on a damn gunner? Who the hell were we bidding against? Is Darrelle Revis his agent? How does he not go for the minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back