• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeacCav confirmed to me that Ball is good, and he almost knows as much about football as brasky and lives in jax

Those numbers are from the 2013 season. He only played 7 games last season due to injury.

I think that's only bc Colvin is a stud rookie and they wanted to give him PT

Would be awesome to have him jam on the outside and let Bene cover the slot

Would be awesome to have him jam on the outside and let Bene cover the slot

Looks like that's the plan. So then what about Colin Jones? Give him a shot at safety? (Yes, I like Colin Jones)

I'd hope between Jones, Coleman, Boston and Lester there's a secondary in there

Yes, I intentionally left out Harper bc I hate his guts

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Mocking-the-Panthers-40/9db9a51c-0452-4ffa-948e-872d71833645

I think the official team site gives a good look into the team's thinking as I feel like it is curated by people somewhat in the know. Anyway they posted four two-round mocks the other day and one had us going OT-WR, one had us going WR-OT, one had us double dipping at OT-OT, and one had us going OT-RB.

The 2nd round RB was Ameer Abdullah from Nebraska, I've liked him for a while though I don't know if we'd really pull the trigger that high on that position.

Last edited:
I guess. I feel like GMan took care of his secondary needs and took care of LT, so he's going WR in the 1st.

Who knows with gman, he truly goes bpa so anyone is fair game

Every GM says they go BPA, no GM really goes BPA.

GMan probably goes best grade available, grades take into account positional value for team along with their overall rating.

I'd hope between Jones, Coleman, Boston and Lester there's a secondary in there

Yes, I intentionally left out Harper bc I hate his guts

Didn't know we still had Lester. We cut him and resign every other day.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Mocking-the-Panthers-40/9db9a51c-0452-4ffa-948e-872d71833645

I think the official team site gives a good look into the team's thinking as I feel like it is curated by people somewhat in the know. Anyway they posted four two-round mocks the other day and one had us going OT-WR, one had us going WR-OT, one had us double dipping at OT-OT, and one had us going OT-RB.

The 2nd round RB was Ameer Abdullah from Nebraska, I've liked him for a while though I don't know if we'd really pull the trigger that high on that position.

I feel like it's Humphries/Collins or bust for OT in the first round. That's not to say we shouldn't pick a different OT such as Flowers, but I'd almost rather go the Strong/Fisher route if we can't get Humphries or Collins.

I'd be perfectly happy with Humphries in the 1st then Devin Smith in the 2nd. If we double dip at OT, maybe we could snag Sammie Coats in the 3rd.

Drafting Abdullah in the 2nd seems like a waste to me. I like the kid, but we have a team that is ready to compete if we fill in holes. We may be light at RB, but I can't give that precedence over the massive holes in our OL, WR, and secondary.

Last edited:
We can make do just fine without drafting a RB in the top 3 rounds.

I'm not sure if there are massive holes in the secondary. We have a 2012 5th rounder and 2014 5th rounder at CB and a 2014 4th round pick at S who seem pretty solid. If that's the core (along with MY BOI Colin Jones), the rest can be filled in with veterans and UFAs every year. GMan already has veterans ready for next year. Coleman and Ball aren't olds and/or hot garbage, so CB may be fine as long as they don't end up wanting Captain Munnerlynn type $$$.

OL and WR are weak enough that picking two of either in the first 3 rounds makes sense. After that I'd like to see RB, TE, and DL, maybe even a top K prospect in the 7th. I'm getting close to the "Gano Gotta Go" camp. Maybe "GaNO" is better.

Last edited:
According to Gettleman, his philosophy is to fill all your holes(lol) in free agency so you don't have to take any particular position in the draft so he can be comfortable taking BPA. He has checked off every team need(OT, WR/KR, CB, S, ST) so far in free agency which means he is fine with every position group including WR. I don't personally agree with his pure BPA philosophy and I actually don't think he does do that, but this will be the year to find out if he really sticks to that philosophy.

Isn't this all classic gettleman? The Giants won a super bowl with Eli manning throwing to low rent FA pickups right?

Isn't this all classic gettleman? The Giants won a super bowl with Eli manning throwing to low rent FA pickups right?

Not really. In 2007 they had Plaxico Burress who signed a huge contact in free agency then in 2011 they had Nicks who was a first round pick and Manningham who was a 3rd round pick. Also, Jerry Reese was the GM so we don't really have any idea how much they share philosophy wise. There is no classic Gettleman because he has only had control of a team for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back