• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philadelphia Restaurants

Thanks for all the recs. I will spend some time looking over them.

I will be alone and I am fine with a place not near my hotel but will give preference to a closer place.

The Philly style roast pork sounds like a great option for lunch if I have time. If pressed for time is there any decent food at the airport?

Damn almost all of them I have looked at so far appear to be closed on Mondays. I will be there on a Monday.

$350 for pork and octopus?

Vetri's price fix is $200 per person and Morimotos tasting menu is like $125 - so makes sense.

The morimoto tasting menu is solid, but super pricey. Just have not been impressed with their sushi, at all.

Vetri's price fix is $200 per person and Morimotos tasting menu is like $125 - so makes sense.

The morimoto tasting menu is solid, but super pricey. Just have not been impressed with their sushi, at all.

I've yet to have octopus that didn't taste like rubber, chefs should stop trying to make it work

I've yet to have octopus that didn't taste like rubber, chefs should stop trying to make it work

The place I mentioned in the first post, Verick Food & Drink has the best octopus I have ever had - no rubber, at all - it is chili glazed, served with apples and endive, out of this world. Lots of big time restaurants are picking it up because, when done right, it is really good. But there is bad octopus too.

False. Original Nicks (order overboard), paesanos (arista), or gtfo.

Paesanos - damnit, how did I forget that.

Yeah, best sandwich place in the world. The Paesano (beef brisket) is absurdly good. The arista is one of the better porks.

Paesano - Beef Brisket, Horseradish Mayo, Roasted Tomatoes, Pepperoncino, Sharp Provolone & Fried Egg

The place I mentioned in the first post, Verick Food & Drink has the best octopus I have ever had - no rubber, at all - it is chili glazed, served with apples and endive, out of this world. Lots of big time restaurants are picking it up because, when done right, it is really good. But there is bad octopus too.

I suspect in cases like this its often confusing "good" and "good for
Octopus"

Thanks for all the recs. I will spend some time looking over them.

I will be alone and I am fine with a place not near my hotel but will give preference to a closer place.

The Philly style roast pork sounds like a great option for lunch if I have time. If pressed for time is there any decent food at the airport?

I'd hit Chickie & Pete's in the airport. Good crab fries, solid cheesesteaks and bar food.

For cheesesteaks, I absolutely love Jims on 4th and South. If you are in suburbia then Delsandros is the place. Go to Chubbies right down the street for their chicken cheesesteaks. Pats and Geno's is great, just like Denny's is great after a night of boozing. Tony Lukes on Front Street is pretty sweet too. John's Roast Pork has AWESOME cheesesteaks as well.

Hit up Chickie and Petes for some Ok food but great sports watching experience.

There's also a Federal Donuts near Rittenhouse if you're craving a grapefruit brulee donut. (I haven't tried it, but it looks cool.)

img_0040.jpg

At Laurel I had foie gras stuffed scallops wrapped in fatback bacon and topped with salmon roe with a fig goat cheese jam.

There's a reason it's one of the best new restaurants in America. If your trip is months off or you want to call the night of and see if there are any cancelations, you should remove all choice and go to Laurel.

At Laurel I had foie gras stuffed scallops wrapped in fatback bacon and topped with salmon roe with a fig goat cheese jam.

There's a reason it's one of the best new restaurants in America. If your trip is months off or you want to call the night of and see if there are any cancelations, you should remove all choice and go to Laurel.

Those scallops sound amazing. Laurel appears to be closed on Monday like many others.

Id like to know how townie morally superiorily digests foie gras

Paesanos - damnit, how did I forget that.

Yeah, best sandwich place in the world. The Paesano (beef brisket) is absurdly good. The arista is one of the better porks.

Paesano - Beef Brisket, Horseradish Mayo, Roasted Tomatoes, Pepperoncino, Sharp Provolone & Fried Egg

Paesanos does a suckling pig every morning

And you are in the heart of the Italian market which is awesome

/endporkdiscussion

Oh yeah there's also Fette Sau up in Fishtown. Good BBQ, great whiskey and beer selection, next door to Frankford Hall, another German style bier hall.

Back