• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philadelphia Restaurants

I would check out the seafood joints down at Washington/9th at the end of the italian market, they get a ton of stuff, usually pretty fresh - I have never bought blue crabs from them, but the prices are all pretty solid, I used to buy branzino for $6/pound all the time, bought a couple of lobsters a few months back, forgot how much, but it was decent.

whoa people live in philly on this thread eh?

No clue on blue crabs

Where does everyone live in the citehhhhhh

I had the same reaction...didn't know there were this many posters in Philly. I'm up in West Mount Airy.

What are those weird tall rods all the way up N. Broad St?

ETA: Used Google, found this.

the plan:

light_mast-1-229x360.png

thought maybe it was a Pope visit thing

Last edited:
Any opinions on Dandelion?

Its a stephen starr place, so consistently good - its english food, nothing will blow you away, but if you are craving bangers and mash or a pot pie or something, theirs are pretty good. The beer selection is ok, they do a bunch of hand pump beers, which are good, but I still need to be in the right mood for lukewarm beer, regardless of the caliber.

If you are in rittenhouse looking for a place, go to Vernick Food & Drink, best food in the city. Would also say Tria Taproom is cool for a beer or wine and a snack (all served on tap and you use an iPad to see all the info about the beers wine including how much is left in the keg/bottle - pretty cool). Also, Parc is a tradition - always excellent french style food - nothing new and modern, and its pricey, but its cool to people watch and their mussels are phenomenal.

Basically, what I am saying is if you are going to Dandelion already, its good, I've been there 3-4 times, but there are other options if you are still looking.

All of that is true. Dandelion is a cool place to visit but nothing super special food wise. Rittenhouse is a little fancy. Vernick is probably among the best meals you'd eat on the East coast. Can't rec highly enough. Might be harder to get into and it's a little pricy. Village Whiskey is a solid choice in the neighborhood. It's a small location though.

I will shout out Strangeloves. Not in Rittenhouse but also not far from Dandelion. Great tap list, great food, cool spot, good prices.

Strangeloves is solid, their cheese dip is pretty good - thats about as far as I get foodwise there, but their tap list is awesome, one of the best in the city - was only like 5 minutes walking from my old office, was there all the time for happy hour.

I saw that the Federal Donuts chicken sandwich that was at Spruce Street this summer is going citywide. Dunno if that means the ballpark too, but do yourself a favor and try one. Great stuff.

Reasonably sure I passed Michael Solomonov this morning. #phillycelebritywatch

Reasonably sure I passed Michael Solomonov this morning. #phillycelebritywatch

I used to see him every now and again, he lives off 2nd near Zahav, if I remember right. I met him at an in-house concert performed by Marc Vetri, who plays a mean guitar, has a stutter and does not understand the gluten free movement. Solomonov was pretty chill, Vetri is a pompous jerkface.

Had the roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe at Dinic's, that was a damn good sandwich. Had Tony Luke's cheesesteak yesterday at the Phillies game with some crab fries

Had the roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe at Dinic's, that was a damn good sandwich. Had Tony Luke's cheesesteak yesterday at the Phillies game with some crab fries

The Roast Pork is the best sandwich in Philly, hands down - I would say Johns is the best, but I like Dinics too, but trying to crowd through Reading Terminal Market is usually painful.

Reading Terminal was crowded, but it's a very cool place.

Had beers in the City Tavern courtyard, and had dinner at Dandelion last night with RSF. It was very good. Definitely enjoyed my touristy day in Philly.

Any other Philadelphians live in Fairmount/Art Museum?

This Pope thing is gonna suck.

Any other Philadelphians live in Fairmount/Art Museum?

This Pope thing is gonna suck.

Yeah, most of my old neighbors are either leaving or renting out their houses for the week - literally, one of my friends who lived next door is getting $600/night for their 3 bedroom place on Lombard St. Schools and lots of businesses are closing or doing the work from home thing.

The Roast Pork is the best sandwich in Philly, hands down - I would say Johns is the best, but I like Dinics too, but trying to crowd through Reading Terminal Market is usually painful.

Paesanos Arista

VBRO, make $$$$ and take a vaca.

I've talked about this on the chat thread, but our rental agreement says we have to get the whole building to agree to it, and we couldn't convince the guy on the third floor to agree. He's bringing family in to see the Pope. We could have paid for about 2.5 months rent, too.

Back