• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philadelphia Restaurants

My 5 favorite Philly sandwiches (no cheesesteaks):

Paesano's Arista
John's Roast Pork, Sharp Prov, Broccoli Rabe
Dinic's Roast Pork, Sharp Prov, Broccoli Rabe
Cosmi's Cosmi Special
Jake's Gringo

Runner up award goes to The Trainwreck at Beck's in Reading Terminal.

Maybe I'm biased, but the Arista is my third favorite sandwich from paesanos, so maybe that skews it. Its awesome, the Paesano is my favorite sandwich of all time - its ridiculous.

Oh agreed that it is not tops there, but for Pork it is bomb.

Paesano's Arista
Cosmi's Cosmi Special
Jake's Gringo

Have you done nicks orginal off of 20th and passyunk?

Have you done nicks orginal off of 20th and passyunk?

yup, that was my old bus stop for the 17 when i lived at 22nd and snyder

old nicks

shitty looking place but damn good roast beef - gravy fries great too

Has anyone ever done the Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest on South Street?

It's this Saturday, it's cheap, and I've walked by it two years in a row and not gone in.

Has anyone ever done the Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest on South Street?

It's this Saturday, it's cheap, and I've walked by it two years in a row and not gone in.

Meh - I lived the next block over (8th/Lombard) for 2 years, its not really cheap and not worth it, you have to buy tickets to pay for the beer/food/etc. If there is nothing better to do and its a nice day, go ahead.

I had a bomb ass steak at Barclay Prime last night, plus a tremendous super Tuscan to accompany it. Damn good place.

sounds fishtown-y as fuck

i bet it's delicious

Paesano's Arista
Cosmi's Cosmi Special
Jake's Gringo

May hit one of those up (already been to DiNic's) on Monday while in town for work. Thanks.

I had a bomb ass steak at Barclay Prime last night, plus a tremendous super Tuscan to accompany it. Damn good place.

I hope you weren't paying - thats some coin. Best steak place in the city, but I only went when I could expense it.

May hit one of those up (already been to DiNic's) on Monday while in town for work. Thanks.

Paesanos is the place, there are two options, one on 9th a block north of Washington in the Italian Market and then one up on Girard. I would guess most people in town would not venture up to Girard, but they have the same options, but the one on Girard has better gluten free rolls, if thats your thing. Get either a Paesano (brisket), Arista (roast pork) or Diablo (chicken ) - you can't go wrong. Its a cash only place.

Johns is great, but you have drive - its right next to the Target in South Philly, if its raining, skip it, because all the tables are outside - but the roast pork is phenomenal.

Last edited:
If you're sticking around center city, and DaDeacs may disagree with me here, Jake's is a solid under-the-radar option. Looks like your run of the mill sandwich shop but everything I've had there has always been great.

I hope you weren't paying - thats some coin. Best steak place in the city, but I only went when I could expense it.

naturally. avoided the $150 kobe cheesesteak though and went with the more standard NY strip.

One positive thing about the Pope's visit is that I didn't have to wait in any line to get my lunch today...because no one is in center city.

I know DaDeacs works close by, but the view from my office is pretty sweet:

b2yfZBg.jpg

Back