• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philadelphia Restaurants

So Urban Outfitters bought Vetri Restaurants? WTF?

Oh yeah, I saw that yesterday and meant to post something. So weird. And it's odd to see national reporting referring to Vetri Restaurants as a pizza chain or Italian food chain. Apparently Urban Outfitters wants to have Pizzeria Vetri locations next to its stores?

Edit: This has way more info, and specifically from the Vetri side, than the national reporting:

Vetri to sell restaurants to Urban Outfitter

Vetri Restaurants will be a subsidiary. The current owners will be staying on and will be involved in other Urban Outfitters initiatives.

Last edited:
Anybody been to Santucci's? They just opened a second location on N Broad. I hear big things about their pizza and their whole menu. Bar looks pretty sweet too.

Anybody been to Santucci's? They just opened a second location on N Broad. I hear big things about their pizza and their whole menu. Bar looks pretty sweet too.

Square pizza place - its pretty good, not enough so that I went out of my way or anything, and it was 5 blocks from my place. There are a ton of pizza options in queen village, though, and I usually ended up at nomad or stella, which I think are better.

Rooster Soup Company is set to open in early 2016 in the Rittenhouse area. The WSJ wrote about it yesterday:

The New Philadelphia Story: Eat, Pay, Give

Quick background - Cook and Solo is partnering with Broad Street Ministry to open a soup restaurant that will use the chicken scraps from Federal Donuts (and lots of other ingredients), and the profits will go to Broad Street Ministry.

When Golderer opened his own dining operation, in 2008, he set out to provide the neediest Philadelphians with an experience that goes beyond what institutional soup kitchens typically offer. At Broad Street, there are no cafeteria-style lines, plastic trays or monochromatic stews spooned from chafing dishes. Instead, visitors are seated at tables set with tablecloths. Volunteers serve composed plates cooked by Steven Seibel, a 28-year-old chef previously responsible for feeding Comcast employees in their nearby corporate dining room. Golderer doesn’t refer to the people who depend on Broad Street for meals as homeless. “I call them guests,” he says.

Anyone been to Vesper?

The jazz bar place? I went there a couple of times, never ate food though, the bar is always super crowded. Nothing special, expensive drinks, not very inventive or anything - but does have the whole twenties vibe thing going on.

I have a gift card for $100 there. Drinks and dancing sounds cool even if it's just a couple martinis. May snag some oysters - coworker said they were good.

I'm sure it's terrible for you, and I don't usually like any coffee drink other than just black coffee or espresso, but daaaaaaamn the draft latte at La Colombe is good. I'm so spoiled to have one attached to the building next door.

After much insistence by my cousins I finally went to Dim Sum Garden for the first time recently...that place is magical.

Birthday next month, so tryna pick a restaurant for a reservation.

Haven't been to:
Vetri
Townsend
Kensington Quarters
Amis
Pumpkin
Bibou

Have been but would love to go back:
Laurel
Zahav
Vernick
Ela

DaDeacs? Anyone? Convince me any of the "haven't been" list needs to be above the ones I want to go back to.

Also, went to Talulah's Garden Sunday, and it was awesome as always. Lamb belly was heavy for summer, but it was all really good. That outdoor space is legit.

I'll be in Philly for a night in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll give one of those places a look. Ela was fantastic when we went, but I'm thinking I'll try something different.

Stupid name that makes me not want to go there ever, but drinks at Charlie Was a Sinner have become a must if you go anywhere on 13th for dinner. Their cocktails are next level good.

I'll try and check it out. Of the restaurants you listed, how many have bar seating that have a full menu? I'll likely be solo and would prefer not to sit at a table. I just looked at Vetri and it doesn't look like they have a bar.

Of that list, I think most do, though I know Laurel does not. Zahav definitely does, Vernick does, Ela does, and I'm pretty sure Townsend does. Dunno for sure about the ones I haven't been to.

Stupid name that makes me not want to go there ever, but drinks at Charlie Was a Sinner have become a must if you go anywhere on 13th for dinner. Their cocktails are next level good.

Walked here again after a great dinner at a.kitchen

Basically outshone a great dinner. Highly recommended to Philly folks and visitors.

I need to remember to check out Charlie for when I'm up there next. I'm pretty sure I've had drinks at a.bar and liked it. And I'm defs going back to Vetri the next chance I get.

Walked here again after a great dinner at a.kitchen

Basically outshone a great dinner. Highly recommended to Philly folks and visitors.

I missed your bday thing - Townsend is ok, overrated, but I like that area of passyunk - if you are going to that area, Will BYOB is close to the best food in town. Vernick is my go to with anyone because the food is always outstanding and the drinks are great. For bday, Zahav would be awesome, just doing the whole family style thing with a bunch of people.

You need to do Talulahs Table at some point - its an experience. It's pricey and tough to get into and its a fuckin long drive out to kennett square, but it is superb. I think you need a party of at least 6 (maybe 8?) - they only have two tables, the one in the kitchen serves up to like 16.

Charlie was a sinner is good, their food is actually pretty decent too - its all organic or something - drinks are amaze, if you get there before its packed, sitting in the chairs in the window and people watching is cool.

I need to remember to check out Charlie for when I'm up there next. I'm pretty sure I've had drinks at a.bar and liked it. And I'm defs going back to Vetri the next chance I get.

Vetri is good, but not worth it - $200+ per person - its an experience, cause it feels like eating in someones house, the service is great, the food is outstanding, but I can think of other things i would do with $800 - thats like 6 great meals from any number of other places.

Back