• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philadelphia Restaurants

Pickle bar? Please describe in more detail.

Originally Posted by DeaconWalker View Post
That's not too bad, probably just skip the drinks and it becomes reasonable price wise.

Do you have any suggestions for West Philly? I'm near Haverford and City Ave.

Near Lankenau? Out past Upper Darby?

I don't really know that area well. My fav restaurant west of the river is definitely Fat Ham. That place is awesome.

Isn't Lankenau on Lancaster Avenue in Wynnewood? My eye doctor was there.

Upper Darby is way in the other direction.

About two blocks from Haverford and City Ave (around there people call it City Line Ave, because it is) is storefront pizza place call Boston Style Pizza that sponsored lots of teams for me.

If you proceeded on Haverford Ave. from City Ave. to Earlington Road and make a right, after going about 1/4 mile you'd pass Kobe Bryant's home growing up.

Also if you go about three miles on City Ave. from Haveford Ave., you hit Hawk Hill- the campus of St. Joe's. On 54th Street, just off City Ave. and across from the St. Joe Fieldhouse, is Larry's Steaks. Not sure how it is now, but the original Larry's near Overbrook High, was the "official" cheesesteak for Wilt and the Sixers after practice at St. Joe's. Even their regular cheesesteaks were massive. The belly filler was obscene.

Last edited:
Lankenau is kinda between Wynewood and Upper Darby

rqSXB5M.jpg

Like I said tho I don't really know that area well--I tend to stay between the rivers

Pickle bar? Please describe in more detail.

It was awesome

A bunch of different types of pickles: sour, spicy, dill, etc

Plus sauerkraut and pickled carrots and stuff

Awesome old school deli too

Lakenau is in Wynnewood and is at least a town away over from Upper Darby in any direction. To get from Lakenau to Upper Darby, you have to go through Philly (Overbrook Park, past Rose Playground and the golf courses) or you have to go through my hometown of Havertown before reaching Upper Darby. The people who live in Wynnewood definitely think Upper Darby is a world away.

Upper Darby is the end of the subway/el (used to have great slices as you enter the terminal) and the home of the Tower Theater.

Upper Darby was my school's T'giving Day football rival. Lower Merion (home of Wynnewood) was our basketball rival. A couple of people from Lower Merion High are Kobe and Alexander Haig. From Upper Darby, you'd have Tina Fey, Jim Croce and Todd Rundgren.

BTW, my school, is well represented on the sports forum with grad Joe Lunardi. :)

I can't even imagine how much the land Lankenau sits on is worth. It's got to be into nine figures.

Only thing I know about UD is The Tower, which is really cool and kind of a shithole at the same time.

Only thing I know about UD is The Tower, which is really cool and kind of a shithole at the same time.

It is that. I've seen Bowie, Grover Washington, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne and Bruce there.

Looks like I have from free time in Philly around lunchtime this Thursday and am looking for something good. Scoped out Cleaver's or Steve's Prince of Steaks. Any opinion on those places or something better in the area?

Might have to hit a nearby Federal Donuts.

I'll be on Broad St, a few blocks south of City Hall.

Looks like I have from free time in Philly around lunchtime this Thursday and am looking for something good. Scoped out Cleaver's or Steve's Prince of Steaks. Any opinion on those places or something better in the area?

Might have to hit a nearby Federal Donuts.

I much preferred the cheesesteak at Steve's vs Cleavers. Cleavers is a much nicer spot, though. And has beer.

very central, cool

if you haven't been to reading terminal, i'd probs do that for lunch unless you're looking for something nice to expense--in there, go to diNics for roast pork sandwich or beck's for awesome cajun

there are also a ton of good places on/near 13th street (broad is 14th): jamonera, barbuzzo, sampan, bud & marilyn's

or a block over on 12th there's the excellent, artery clogging Jake's sandwich board for really good roast pork or brisket or what have you

on the other side of broad, schlesinger's is on 15th and locust (the deli i was talking about on the last page)

if you're feeling asian, you're close to chinatown, plenty of good shit there

and if you want a steak, jim's is way better than the two you mentioned

I haven't been yet, but Rooster Soup Company opened recently in the area. They use the excess chicken from Federal Donuts and the profits go to a local charity. (And it was created by the same people as Federal Donuts and Zahav.)

Or just go to Federal Donuts.

I've not eaten in Philly before. We're doing Budakkan that night. Would I be remiss if I didn't get a cheesesteak while I'm there? I noticed people saying that roast pork is better than cheesesteak.

I'll only be there for 1 day. Flying out on Friday.

E: Jim's looks like it's a decent ways away. I have a meeting in the afternoon, so I can't be too far away. Might even try to sneak a run in.

A matter of personal preference, I think. The roast pork tastes better in my opinion. Cooked with a lot more love and care, typically roasted with herbs from a nice cut of pork, served with a good, sharp prov and broccoli rabe, maybe long hot peppers.

The cheesesteak is the classic though. Basically always delicious.

You likely can't go wrong.

I do not plan to be in Philly again in the near future, yet feel obligated to follow this thread because I started it.

If you go to Reading Terminal (only a couple blocks form City Hall), make sure to get some Bassett's ice cream. It's simply the best.

It's not a restaurant but just southwest of Philly is Diggerland. You should go.

https://www.diggerlandusa.com/attractions/rides/

Has anybody actually been to his place ? I have a 9-year old and an 11-year old and don't want to flush a couple of hundred dollars on admission to have them roll their eyes because all the stuff they can ride is designed for 5-year olds. The website is pretty bad.

Also, putting together an itinerary for a June trip with a couple of days in Philly before going to our nation's capital.

Got these things as likely destinations with the kids:

Mutter Museum
Eastern State Pen
Liberty Bell/Independence Hall/Constitution Center as quickly as possible
Visit RJKarl's boyhood home and piss on it
Rodin Museum
LOVE statue
Eat stupid gross cheesesteak
Kelly Drive, Penn, Boathouse Row

Less urgent:
Valley Forge
Diggerland