• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clinton Email Problem

Makes sense, thanks. How did no one notice this until now?

Yeah I'm curious how it went unnoticed for this long. I do think this is a legitimate issue and im not glossing over it but it's not going to gain much traction if it's being chased down by Trey and his merry band of Benghazi morons.

Makes sense, thanks. How did no one notice this until now?

Unless you get an email from Hillary, how would you know she's using a non .GOV domain? And even if you get the email, unless you're technical in nature, you'd have no idea that the email on her domain was being hosted from out of her home. Her address was actually revealed over 2 years ago by Guccifer, but no one in the press seems to have investigated it in detail at that time. Plus, it wasn't publicly known at that point that she conducted all business from that account. Most would have assumed that while she had a personal account, she also had a SoS account to use for the bulk of her work.

Last edited:
So her server was presenting itself as a .gov domain? I'm just shocked by the fact that the SOS could do business through a personal account for years without anyone noticing.

Wait.
I may be completely wrong and have to apologize to HC for calling her a lying sack of sh&t.
It appears she may be dumb as a hammer.
One or the other.

So her server was presenting itself as a .gov domain? I'm just shocked by the fact that the SOS could do business through a personal account for years without anyone noticing.

No, her domain was clintonemail.com. My point is that the public would never know she was conducting official business from that domain unless they got a business email from her. And most anyone in the government, here or abroad, that she was conducting business with, would likely assume that despite the lack of a .gov domain, that her email was secured and hosted on a government run server. There's just not much reason for anyone to question the security of the email server our SoS is using. It's just assumed that she's not running her SoS business email through an exchange server in her garage.

Impossible to know how "bad" it is without having read all of her emails. But, the operating assumption going forward has to be that whatever resided on that server has been seen by our enemies and allies. That could mean lots of things. It could mean that state secrets were revealed, that peoples' and soldiers' lives were endangered, that our negotiations with Iran were hindered, etc. Without her ever knowing it or there being a record of it on her server, her domain/address could have been spoofed to extract information from her contacts. One easy to open door opens others as well. By having access to the server, a hacker also would have access to the ID's of devices that accessed it (her phone and her unapproved iPad), making those devices potentially easier to compromise. Any files on those devices would be compromised and a hacker could likely even monitor her location in real-time. Those are all past events. What's done, is done, for better or worse. I'm not sure how you figure out who/what had access to the info given that the server/firewall/security don't seem to have been actively monitored.

Worst case for the future is that Hillary becomes POTUS and there was information on the server that other nations and terrorist groups can use as leverage against her.

Not sure I understand this. Is there evidence her server was hacked?

No. And there never will be any evidence. That's sort of the point. It wasn't behind the firewalls and protections it should have been behind, it wasn't monitored 24/7/365. Anyone that did hack it has long since cleaned up after themselves now that the story is public. When the State Department's server was hacked by Russia, the servers were actively monitored, they knew about it and were able to take needed precautions with the knowledge that the servers were compromised. Complete security is impossible to achieve, which is why monitoring is so important.

But, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where her server wasn't hacked and her address wasn't spoofed. It would have been much much easier to achieve than hacking into the State Department.

Last edited:
No. and because it's a private server there may not be such evidence. That's why it's a big deal.

No, her domain was clintonemail.com. My point is that the public would never know she was conducting official business from that domain unless they got a business email from her. And most anyone in the government, here or abroad, that she was conducting business with, would likely assume that despite the lack of a .gov domain, that her email was secured and hosted on a government run server. There's just not much reason for anyone to question the security of the email server our SoS is using. It's just assumed that she's not running her SoS business email through an exchange server in her garage.

That is troubling. An exchange server in a garage defeated our entire cyber security apparatus. I get that the public wouldn't necessarily recognize .com vs .gov, but wouldn't that have triggered red flags to everyone on the technology side? Thanks for your responses BTW.

Unless you get an email from Hillary, how would you know she's using a non .GOV domain? And even if you get the email, unless you're technical in nature, you'd have no idea that the email on her domain was being hosted from out of her home. Her address was actually revealed over 2 years ago by Guccifer, but no one in the press seems to have investigated it in detail at that time. Plus, it wasn't publicly known at that point that she conducted all business from that account. Most would have assumed that while she had a personal account, she also had a SoS account to use for the bulk of her work.

Gowdy's committe has had Hillary's emails for awhile, so wouldn't they have known all of this, except for the server part, already? Presumably Hillary's team didn't leave anything on her server that they didn't turn over. If they can't recreate the deleted emails, what other information could they get from the server?

Not a Hillary fan and I get the security issue with the server, but isn't this kind of like Mitt's alleged tax issues and Christie and Bridegate? You can create uncertainty and doubt, but you can't prove anything without supporting evidence.

Gowdy's committe has had Hillary's emails for awhile, so wouldn't they have known all of this, except for the server part, already? Presumably Hillary's team didn't leave anything on her server that they didn't turn over. If they can't recreate the deleted emails, what other information could they get from the server?

She handed over printed copy, not the electronic records that contain a lot of metadata (there's a question whether this even meets the requirements of the law, assuming she really did turn over every business email in the first place). When I print an email from my Exchange server at work, it doesn't show my from email address. I'm not totally clear on how/when the committee knew. From what I've read they seem to have been taken by surprise that ALL of her email was from this domain and none was from a .gov domain. At this point, one would assume there's nothing to be gleaned from the server itself. Anything potentially damaging that was left on the server has definitely been wiped clean. If I were Hillary, I would have cleaned the drives and smashed the disks when this first hit the airwaves.

Not a Hillary fan and I get the security issue with the server, but isn't this kind of like Mitt's alleged tax issues and Christie and Bridegate? You can create uncertainty and doubt, but you can't prove anything without supporting evidence.

There's no need to prove the server was hacked, even though the likelihood is very, very high. She acted wrecklessly, dangerously, and potentially illegally whether it was hacked or not. Her reasoning for using a private server, though she'd never admit it, is pretty obvious...it was designed to skirt Freedom of Information and Record Retention laws, not to make life easier by only having a single inbox. And whether it was hacked or not, it has to be assumed that it was and that anything on it, even personal things, can be used against her should she become POTUS.

Last edited:
No. And there never will be any evidence. That's sort of the point. It wasn't behind the firewalls and protections it should have been behind, it wasn't monitored 24/7/365. Anyone that did hack it has long since cleaned up after themselves now that the story is public. When the State Department's server was hacked by Russia, the servers were actively monitored, they knew about it and were able to take needed precautions with the knowledge that the servers were compromised. Complete security is impossible to achieve, which is why monitoring is so important.

But, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where her server wasn't hacked and her address wasn't spoofed. It would have been much much easier to achieve than hacking into the State Department.

Wait a second, I don't know that. How so? Im playing devil's advocate here, but I don't agree that a private entity can't secure an email server as well if not better than the federal government can. You sound like you are in the biz, you should know that. Securing/monitoring an email server is not rocket science or just the purview of government. I would argue that private parties can and do secure email just as well as the military, if not better. Again, just playing devil's advocate. There is a lot of fear mongering going on here.

When I print an email from my Exchange server at work, it doesn't show my from email address. I'm not totally clear on how/when the committee knew. From what I've read they seem to have been taken by surprise that ALL of her email was from this domain and none was from a .gov domain. At this point, one would assume there's nothing to be gleaned from the server itself. Anything potentially damaging that was left on the server has definitely been wiped clean. If I were Hillary, I would have cleaned the drives and smashed the disks when this first hit the airwaves.

There's no need to prove the server was hacked, even though the likelihood is very, very high. She acted wrecklessly, dangerously, and potentially illegally whether it was hacked or not. Her reasoning for using a private server, though she'd never admit it, is pretty obvious...it was designed to skirt Freedom of Information and Record Retention laws, not to make life easier by only having a single inbox. And whether it was hacked or not, it has to be assumed that it was and that anything on it, even personal things, can be used against her should she become POTUS.

This I can agree with.

So the Israelis sent sensitive intelligence info about Iran to Hillary on her clintonemial.com address?

Last edited:
When I print an email from my Exchange server at work, it doesn't show my from email address. I'm not totally clear on how/when the committee knew. From what I've read they seem to have been taken by surprise that ALL of her email was from this domain and none was from a .gov domain. At this point, one would assume there's nothing to be gleaned from the server itself. Anything potentially damaging that was left on the server has definitely been wiped clean. If I were Hillary, I would have cleaned the drives and smashed the disks when this first hit the airwaves.

Jesus dude are you down in your fallout shelter then?

This is Hillary's setup then?

193880d1296788465-heatsinks-wrt-54g-dsc01262.jpg

1) As we've already established, it was more vulnerable than if it had been on a .GOV server setup to handle the types of information a Secretary of State is privy to. The fact that she handled SoS and personal comms out of the same inbox/contact list alone means that she likely caused a breach or two herself. It's not exactly hard to accidentally forward the wrong email, grab the wrong contact with a similar name, etc.

2) Hillary has said that the physical server was originally setup for Bill when he left office, so one would assume it wasn't setup to be any sort of hardened environment to handle state secrets, and it certainly wasn't new hardware by any stretch of the imagination.

The fact of the matter is, we have no idea whether the server was breached precisely because it sat in an uncontrolled environment. The smart bet would be that her email was compromised IMO.

IM sorry I haven't followed the story in the mainstream press, has the setup and the config been examined by technical experts?

I agree if this is rule she should pay for it politically, but you still have not convinced me that the USA has been endangered by this or made more vulnerable. There are a lot of unanswered questions. You have made great points that are on the money. There is some shit we will never know.

The number 1 vulnerability for ALL computer systems is not hardware or software. Its people. Locking down the HW and SW is easy. People running their mouths or being careless is difficult. Go to any security seminar and they will tell you this. So I am less inclined to go all Henny Penny about her having a server. In fact, the fewer people who knew about it the safer it was.

On the security of her server point. From Bloomberg so take it for what it is worth. I don't understand the technology involved here so please feel free to shoot this info down or comment on it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/clinton-s-e-mail-system-built-for-privacy-though-not-security

The pertinent passages IMO:

(Bloomberg) -- A week before becoming secretary of state, Hillary Clinton set up a private e-mail system that gave her a high level of control over communications, including the ability to erase messages completely, according to security experts who have examined Internet records.
“You erase it and everything’s gone,” Matt Devost, a security expert who has had his own private e-mail for years. Commercial services like those from Google Inc. and Yahoo! Inc. retain copies even after users erase them from their in-box.

Although Clinton worked hard to secure the private system, her consultants appear to have set it up with a misconfigured encryption system, something that left it vulnerable to hacking, said Alex McGeorge, head of threat intelligence at Immunity Inc., a Miami Beach-based digital security firm.

On the security of her server point. From Bloomberg so take it for what it is worth. I don't understand the technology involved here so please feel free to shoot this info down or comment on it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/clinton-s-e-mail-system-built-for-privacy-though-not-security

The pertinent passages IMO:

(Bloomberg) -- A week before becoming secretary of state, Hillary Clinton set up a private e-mail system that gave her a high level of control over communications, including the ability to erase messages completely, according to security experts who have examined Internet records.
“You erase it and everything’s gone,” Matt Devost, a security expert who has had his own private e-mail for years. Commercial services like those from Google Inc. and Yahoo! Inc. retain copies even after users erase them from their in-box.

Although Clinton worked hard to secure the private system, her consultants appear to have set it up with a misconfigured encryption system, something that left it vulnerable to hacking, said Alex McGeorge, head of threat intelligence at Immunity Inc., a Miami Beach-based digital security firm.

ok so it was examined then?

Back