• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman Sucks

EagleDeac

Reaction score
I know it's been said 1000+ times, but I can't help saying it again. Totally trashed our program. If I ever give another penny to that school it definitely won't be until he is gone.

Hatch had an equal responsibility in this mess

A lot of people still don't understand how bad Wellman is. Like a doctor, an AD isn't always great but has to observe the principle of "do no harm" to the program. Ron Wellman conspicuously did harm to Wake by willfully hiring a known loser as basketball coach all because he cared more for his own comfort and ego than he did his institution's. He knew this when he advised before ever introducing [Redacted] that he "wouldn't win the press conference". If there's one coach who needs to score big in a press conference, it's the basketball coach, where personality and charisma are much more critical than for some other sports -- although other sports too benefit from such a coach. It was an impardonable sin, particularly because he was a veteran AD who had made big hiring decisions before. It colored his handling of Grobe and other aspects of his job in a negative light. Wellman disclosed much about his own character with that hire and destroyed his legacy at Wake forever. He just needs to go because his actions will never again be trusted by the majority of the fan base.

A lot of people still don't understand how bad Wellman is. Like a doctor, an AD isn't always great but has to observe the principle of "do no harm" to the program. Ron Wellman conspicuously did harm to Wake by willfully hiring a known loser as basketball coach all because he cared more for his own comfort and ego than he did his institution's. He knew this when he advised before ever introducing [name redacted] that he "wouldn't win the press conference". If there's one coach who needs to score big in a press conference, it's the basketball coach, where personality and charisma are much more critical than for some other sports -- although other sports too benefit from such a coach. It was an impardonable sin, particularly because he was a veteran AD who had made big hiring decisions before. It colored his handling of Grobe and other aspects of his job in a negative light. Wellman disclosed much about his own character with that hire and destroyed his legacy at Wake forever. He just needs to go because his actions will never again be trusted by the majority of the fan base.

Excellent post. Add to that the pathetic spin campaign to justify the hiring of Bzzdick, starting with the .pdf flyer of "endorsements" from colleagues in the coaching profession and continuing with the profuse marketing of the Sensational Seven. What a joke. It will take another two years to fully recover from Ron hiring his good buddy.

Wellman is a heartless cunt. Seriously. Talk to him in person and he just resonates all the robotic unemotional vibes that you guys catch being Wake grads.

He sucks. He's a shitty person.

Ron Wellman's legacy : the destruction of Wake Forest basketball. Oh Heavens Yes

Wake athletics were at an all-time high when Hatch came in and 10 years later they are terrible.

Blame the fans. Blame the enablers. Blame the people who keep donating despite his failed stewardship.

Every time I see him at the Joel with that smirky smile and arrogance, I continue to wonder how he continues to draw a paycheck at Wake Forest. He singlehandidly destroyed the last five years of our once proud basketball program, not to mention the huge number of alumnae and supporters who have become totally disenfranchised. The humiliation and financial devastation he cultivated and defended will continue to cost supporters and huge sums of money for many, many years to come. His actions and retention have served to extinguish decades of passion and financial support from myself and many others.

Last edited:
I compare Wellman to Icarus. He climbed high and then his complacency (football program) and hubris (basketball) destroyed his legacy. He crashed and his legacy has burned.

In 2007 when Wake reached the Orange Bowl, Wellman's reputation and legacy was at an all-time high. People were ready to build a statue of the guy. What's happened since has been appalling. Prosser's passing was certainly no one's fault and hiring Dino was arguably the only thing to do at that time. However, Wellman's actions following Gaudio's hire have been inexplicable, inexcusable and have been drenched with aloofness, arrogance, and denial. His hiring of [name redacted] remains one of the worst hires in the modern era of college basketball and his refusal to correct it in a short amount of time has destroyed the Wake program.

On the football side, he got incredibly complacent and relaxed with Grobe and waited way to long to address the problems taking place within the program.

His hubris and pride have been evident in the way he's avoided scrutiny from fans, donors, and alumni. It was especially evident with his hire of [Redacted] - not conducting a real search, not vetting the candidate, and not having any type of oversight with the hire.

It's incredible that the President and BOT continue to allow the athletic program to slide from mediocrity to all out futility, but again there is no accountability at Wake Forest. He is praised for the buildings he's built and renovated, yet the programs who compete in those buildings have been obliterated by his actions.

8 years ago he had built a deserving reputation as a man who done some great things for Wake Forest. Whenever he steps away from WF, he will be remembered as the man who single-handedly killed Wake's signature athletic program and for a pride and arrogance that brought down the Wake Forest athletic department and his own reputation.

Last edited:
Blame the fans. Blame the enablers. Blame the people who keep donating despite his failed stewardship.

I agree, but what do we do now? I like our football coach - a lot. I like our basketball coach a lot, too. Do I keep my $ from MSD until Wellman goes?

It's hard to love Wake Forest sometimes

A lot of people still don't understand how bad Wellman is. Like a doctor, an AD isn't always great but has to observe the principle of "do no harm" to the program. Ron Wellman conspicuously did harm to Wake by willfully hiring a known loser as basketball coach all because he cared more for his own comfort and ego than he did his institution's. He knew this when he advised before ever introducing [Redacted] that he "wouldn't win the press conference". If there's one coach who needs to score big in a press conference, it's the basketball coach, where personality and charisma are much more critical than for some other sports -- although other sports too benefit from such a coach. It was an impardonable sin, particularly because he was a veteran AD who had made big hiring decisions before. It colored his handling of Grobe and other aspects of his job in a negative light. Wellman disclosed much about his own character with that hire and destroyed his legacy at Wake forever. He just needs to go because his actions will never again be trusted by the majority of the fan base.

Let's also not forget that Wellman hired Randy Casstevens.

Back