• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official soccer thread

Palma, the basketball GOAT got swept.

Palma an entire country was just celebrating the greatest sporting achievement of their lifetime, a tie. You know what’s not getting you into Valhalla, celebrating ties.

the competition for soccer GOAT missed a fucking PK against iceland lol

Did Iceland call a timeout first?

No, they found other ways to Ice him.

Messi also did poorly on three other set pieces.

best guess for a non-EPL thread

this video is really legit. learning a lot about 60s football.

what is the power ranking for global leagues these days (top five or seven or so) and roughly where does MLS rank?

if you're including second/third-tier leagues, then MLS might not crack the top 10

i.e. the Championship has to be ranked above MLS, imo.

if you're including second/third-tier leagues, then MLS might not crack the top 10

i.e. the Championship has to be ranked above MLS, imo.

Would be curious how many capped internationals are playing in the Championship vs. in MLS. I suspect significantly fewer since Championship teams don't seem to have that many foreign players to begin with.

Here's the MLS list. Seems a bit of reach to say the Championship is better. I still contend the best MLS teams would avoid relegation in the EPL.

One thing that is hard to measure is how some guys hit MLS from foreign leagues and perform really well compared to their prior league (Reynoso and Zelarayan leap to mind this past year) whereas others come in touted and are a relative flop (Pity Martinez is an example). Then there's our own Jack Harrison. 14 goals in 55 shows for NYCFC and 11 in 94 for Leeds (which tends to support your view).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Soccer_players_with_national_team_caps

what is the power ranking for global leagues these days (top five or seven or so) and roughly where does MLS rank?

whoa this is a good question

Premier League
La Liga
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1

are probably top 5, and something close to that order? next two are probably the portuguese and dutch leagues, followed maybe by russia? championship somewhere around the top 10-12. MLS somewhere in the 15-20 range?

unfortunately there's so little parity in teh top 5 leagues, only the premier league has anything resembling a title race most years. there are rarely more than one challenger in the remaining top 5 leagues.

Back