• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

This is me. I did very well in Intermediate Spanish at Wake and stopped after Spanish Lit for some reason, and in the back of my head it always bothered me that I really enjoyed it and never followed through with it, so this year I basically dedicated myself to re-learning it and it's been a lot of fun so far. You just have to be okay with making a ton of mistakes. Native speakers that I talk to seem pretty impressed with where I am considering it's only been about seven months, so that's encouraging. I basically used old textbooks, made flashcards, listen to podcasts, changed my phone settings to Spanish, pretty much anything you can think of to help.

The hardest part is finding opportunities around where I live (Charlotte area) to practice speaking/listening every day. I have coworkers from Mexico, Central and South America but we only speak for about 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

Birdman, to answer your original post I would definitely warch Y Tu Mamá También, and I also hear that Club de Cuervos (series) is really entertaining. We also watched Amores Perros a few months ago and it was really good, but I don't think it's available to stream anymore. PM me if you want to learn more about how I study/practice and maybe we can help each other out.

I really need to be more proactive about learning. I thought I'd learn more from marrying and being around more Spanish speakers. Those are really good ideas.

He should watch Y Tu Mama Tambien for the tatas alone, but then cut it off at the end right when the dudes start making out.

The film opens with two dudes masturbating on parallel diving boards. I think that's called foreshadowing.

Ain't no grown American fella gonna learn Spanish watching Netflix with subtitles. Hate to break it to ya.

lol though

As someone who lives in South Carolina surrounded by trump voters let me say this: enough with the educational learning stuff, lets talk about TV shows.

Just finished Castlevania on Netflix. Fun watching an animated series randomly created from an old video game. Only 4 episodes, 2nd season will be 8. Mainly story the first 3 episodes but the season finale is pretty good.

Surprising amount of humor as well.

If you've got 90 minutes and played the games or like the genre, it's worth a watch.

I never played Castlevania so I don't have the sentimental attachment needed to watch it, but I did think this was interesting - it's the first video game adaptation to not suck.

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/netflix-castlevania-broke-rotten-tomatoes-record/

finished up Ozark and it was strong from start to finish. Its not Breaking Bad (because honestly, what is? BB is the best ever), but it is a solid entertaining show and Jason Bateman is great in it.

I'm looking forward to the Better Call Bob Loblaw spinoff.

I thought Ozark started off great but the last few episodes didn't really do as much for me

Icarus is a great doc on Russian doping - highly recommend.

Last edited:
I'm five episodes into Ozark and while I dig the plot there is something about the dialogue that just irks me. Can't put a finger on it. I believe townie would call it stilted.

Ozark is good. On the last episode now. Every bad guy dialogue is hilariously bad. But the show is worth watching.

Finished Handmaid's Tale and ended up really liking it. I am ready for Season 2.

Back