• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

The Good Place is really, really good. Really funny throughout. It's super high concept, but the world is interesting enough (and the season short enough) that it doesn't get tiring.

I'd say that it was better than P&R S1 (and I think it was), but they're aiming for way different marks. TGP very clearly wants to be more of a sci-fi mystery / comedy hybrid. It's not just a sitcom; it definitely has a serialized story it wants to tell.

Janet (and her various iterations) is one of my favorite new characters in a comedy in years.

Bortles

I fucking snorted at that scene

I'm about halfway through Ozark and am enjoying it. Biff trivia: I have actually visited Lake of the Ozarks and Branson, MO.

I'm about halfway through Ozark and am enjoying it. Biff trivia: I have actually visited Lake of the Ozarks and Branson, MO.

fun fact and annoying plot contrivance: after two years, there are no issues with paying life insurance on suicides

P good

Janet is the best

Four eps in and I love it. I had a thing for the actress who plays Janet based on her guest appearances on Broad City. Her character is hilarious. Tahani is gorgeous and I love her character as well.

Finished up Atypical last night and it is really good. Highly recommend.

Four eps in and I love it. I had a thing for the actress who plays Janet based on her guest appearances on Broad City. Her character is hilarious. Tahani is gorgeous and I love her character as well.

The Good Place is really good.

Yeah. I ended up finishing it last night. It was excellent. I knew the basics of how it ended but I wasn't expecting how well it was done.

I completely agree with whoever posted that Janet is comedy gold.

I heard today that NBC is pairing it with Great News on the fall schedule, which is a v good idea if true. Great News is really funny in its own right (though definitely more just a straight sitcom), and a perfect pairing with The Good Place's sense of humor.

my wife started rewatching Friends and I've been watching a few with her here and there. I wasn't really a fan when it was airing but it's a pretty well-written show, at least through the first four seasons so far.

totally forgot that Jon Favreau had a 3 or 4 ep arc. also, Friends may be partially responsible for launching the phrase "BFF" (?) because Phoebe says it an episode and everyone is like "whuh??" and it's played for dumb laughs.

I heard today that NBC is pairing it with Great News on the fall schedule, which is a v good idea if true. Great News is really funny in its own right (though definitely more just a straight sitcom), and a perfect pairing with The Good Place's sense of humor.

That's another show that looked promising, but I never got around to recording it. Hopefully it comes on Netflix before the Fall.

I just read some of Sepinwall's reviews of The Good Place. Here is his interview with Mike Schur.
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-good-place-twist-explained-mike-schur/3/

Parks, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Good Place are all just great shows. Obviously, Parks is a contender for the greatest sitcom of all-time. Easily in my personal top 5. Schur is a genius.

By the way, it's been awhile since I've seen a Ted Danson show. I probably haven't seen him in anything but Curb in a very long time. He has long had my respect simply for marrying Mary Steenburgen. He's a fantastic actor. It's going to be interesting to see him in a somewhat new direction in Season 2.

Not that I'm worried that Netflix won't remind you when the time comes, but new Bojack comes out 9/1.

ETA- Ted Danson has maintained a very busy schedule of respectable work. He was awesome in Fargo and funny as hell in Bored to Death as well.

Last edited:
it's basically 30 Rock II, but it's good

I thought 30 Rock was good. It was hit or not quite hit (as opposed to miss) in later seasons, much like The Office. Both were well behind Parks. Along with Community, it was still one of the best two hour comedy blocks ever.

Thanks for the heads up on Bojack.

Which NBC comedy character is GOAT? It comes down to Ron Swanson vs. Jack Donaghy for me, with JD taking it due to larger role. The Office characters went on too long. Peak Michael Scott is pretty great.

I thought 30 Rock was good. It was hit or not quite hit (as opposed to miss) in later seasons, much like The Office. Both were well behind Parks. Along with Community, it was still one of the best two hour comedy blocks ever.

Thanks for the heads up on Bojack.

ooo, S3 30 Rock was as good as Parks ever was

someday I will rank the comedies

Back