• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Which NBC comedy character is GOAT? It comes down to Ron Swanson vs. Jack Donaghy for me, with JD taking it due to larger role. The Office characters went on too long. Peak Michael Scott is pretty great.

liz > jack, tbh

troy + abed (THEY ARE ONE) should be up there.

Which NBC comedy character is GOAT? It comes down to Ron Swanson vs. Jack Donaghy for me, with JD taking it due to larger role. The Office characters went on too long. Peak Michael Scott is pretty great.

George Costanza

Yeah. I was going to ask all-time or modern era. Here are some all-time contenders.

Alex P. Keaton
Cliff Huxtable
Whitley Gilbert
George Costanza
Cosmo Kramer
Jack Donaghy
Ron Swanson
Tom Haverford

(Note: I never really watched Cheers and never liked Friends. Community was a very good ensemble show with no single standout character.)

I see the argument for Troy and Abed, but they really went away from that dynamic in earlier seasons. Everybody from that show has gone on to do some nice work, especially MY GIRL Allison Brie.

Yeah. I was going to ask all-time or modern era. Here are some all-time contenders.

Alex P. Keaton - no
Cliff Huxtable
Whitley Gilbert - who?
George Costanza
Cosmo Kramer
Jack Donaghy
Ron Swanson
Tom Haverford

(Note: I never really watched Cheers and never liked Friends. Community was a very good ensemble show with no single standout character.)

I see the argument for Troy and Abed, but they really went away from that dynamic in earlier seasons. Everybody from that show has gone on to do some nice work, especially MY GIRL Allison Brie.

who is whitley gilbert?

Cliff Huxtable, work from the basement gynecologist, is not on the all time best character list.

Iconic? Sure.

I'm thinking about what I consider funniest. I am not sure who I would give top billing. I would probably make a distinction between star and supporting and give two.

Not Netflix-related but thanks to HBO Go I started watching Deadwood a week ago, and it's amazing. Ian McShane's role is just incredible, and I love the interplay between Al Swearingen and Powers Booth. I'm about eight episodes in but I really like it so far.

Ron Swanson vs. Jack Donaghy is a sick match-up. Swanson more loveable but Donaghy had all the great quotes. I still think about this one pretty much every day:

[about Kenneth]

Jack: In five years we'll all either be working for him... or be dead by his hand.

I'm about to wrap up Patriot (on Amazon) this weekend, and I honestly don't understand why this show doesn't get more recognition. I'm not really sure what to compare it to, but I guess if I had to, I'd say it's like a more overt Wes Anderson movie. It's got great writing, great acting (you'll be spotting B - C list actors and actresses all over the place), and great directing.

I will say, I think the pilot does a really good job of setting the tone for the rest of the show, so if you're not laughing, the show may not be for you. But I highly recommend giving it an hour and seeing if it's your style.

Back