• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I watched all of Everything Sucks! on a cross country flight on Friday. Very good.

Also, the new Queer Eye for the Straight Guy episodes are excellent.

Maybe the average for STD is "meh" but it's very polarizing and most discussions seem to be "This isn't my Star Trek, I hate it" or "This is a bold new direction for the series and I love it". I rarely see someone say "it's a'ight."

I actually think the bellwether indicating whether someone would like STD or not is "The Last Jedi". That movie drew a lot of flak for not adhering to traditional SW tropes and the same can be said for this tv series. If you think it's not Star Trek unless there's a captain speechifying about how the Federation always adheres to its principles, this ain't for you. I could go on, but the most angry complains boil down to "this isn't the Trek I know."

Fwiw, I like it, a lot. This after I started off hating it based on the marketing before the premiere. I'll even say this is the best first season for anything Star Trek since TOS.

Very unfortunate initials.

As far as STD's go, the clap is very underrated.

Started "Everything Sucks" on Netflix and i'm frustrated. Why is the AA protagonist always a blerd? White tv writers are incapable of just creating a regular black american character. It's always a lazy character type - nerd, athlete, thug, or eccentric comic.

Started "Everything Sucks" on Netflix and i'm frustrated. Why is the AA protagonist always a blerd? White tv writers are incapable of just creating a regular black american character. It's always a lazy character type - nerd, athlete, thug, or eccentric comic.

I don't really think he is a nerd though. He definitely hangs out with the losers but right away he is throwing game at the girl and he doesn't really get in on the "nerd talk" with the other two.

That pretty much characterizes anyone in middle/high school. I guess they could have made him emo, but it's not a very intricate spectrum in general.

Last edited:
Good point. Those are lazy archetypes of high school kids.

I don't really think he is a nerd though. He definitely hangs out with the losers but right away he is throwing game at the girl and he doesn't really get in on the "nerd talk" with the other two.

"Well, he's very popular, Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads. They all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

GiddyIllAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb.gif

That pretty much characterizes anyone in middle/high school. I guess they could have made him emo, but it's not a very intricate spectrum in general.
Actual good character writing captures individuality in a universal way.

Here are short descriptions of black dudes I knew in HS:

6'6 class clown from the suburbs that plays on the basketball team even though he sucks, plays practical jokes all the time, teachers love him - becomes a local professional rapper

Chubby, anime loving nerdy stoner from a poor family who skips school to play video games, loves to debate - joins the army, loses a bunch of weight, gets really into import car tuning

Very popular church kid and athlete who gets his gf pregnant at 16, starts moving drugs for the town dealer, gets arrested, kicked out of school, and has to enroll in the alternative highschool program. Takes care of a baby, and lives with his cousins, because his Christian parents are ashamed of him - becomes a mechanic that everyone know sells weed

A tall & skinny guy mixed race guy who is sullen, listens to rap on headphones all day hates school, lies about ridiculous things, steals for no reason, but loves to talk about music - gets arrested for shoplifting and resisting arrest, gets addicted to drugs in jail

All of those people were interesting and dynamic, and none of them fit these lazy character molds from tv. I'm not saying you have to keep the sharp edges for a comedy, but the characters should be original and authentic as possible.

the two black guys in my high school were both high-level athletes who did poorly in class but were kind, funny fun jokesters

eta: extremely well-spoken, of course

Maybe the character gets more depth as the season goes along.

to mdmh's point, what are some shows that have black characters with any depth, but don't feature a majority black cast? I can't think of many. Master of None is one, though the acting is pretty weak. Leftovers is another, though they had one of the most blatant Magical Negro archetypes in TV history.

There was only one black dude in my high school class. He went to Duke and won the Brian Piccolo Award.

to mdmh's point, what are some shows that have black characters with any depth, but don't feature a majority black cast? I can't think of many. Master of None is one, though the acting is pretty weak. Leftovers is another, though they had one of the most blatant Magical Negro archetypes in TV history.

p9264754_b_v8_aa.jpg

Wait, there was another black dude too, but I think he was part Latino. He kind of hung out with this dorky group of girls.

Back