• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

to mdmh's point, what are some shows that have black characters with any depth, but don't feature a majority black cast? I can't think of many. Master of None is one, though the acting is pretty weak. Leftovers is another, though they had one of the most blatant Magical Negro archetypes in TV history.

I'd argue Lena Waithe's character is basically a typical black sidekick who gets a lot of tail with the slight subversion of being a lesbian. She doesn't do much except brag about off-screen sexual exploits and give the main character advice. Waithe's character doesn't have much depth beyond the Thanksgiving episode which was very well written. And that episode did have a majority black cast of excellent actors who helped sell the story.

Maybe... I'm 4 episodes in and I dont really want to watch anymore. The lazy writing is all over the show.
- The locker room bullying scene in episode 2 was especially bad. There is some version of that scene in every underdog/nerd highschool movie.

-The naysaying serious friend/goofy friend combo

There have been some unique things I appreciated:

- the friend who can't read
- the bully theater kids
- the absentee father being white

I'd argue Lena Waithe's character is basically a typical black sidekick who gets a lot of tail with the slight subversion of being a lesbian. She doesn't do much except brag about off-screen sexual exploits and give the main character advice. Waithe's character doesn't have much depth beyond the Thanksgiving episode which was very well written. And that episode did have a majority black cast of excellent actors who helped sell the story.

yeah, the best acted episode in the whole series

Maybe... I'm 4 episodes in and I dont really want to watch anymore. The lazy writing is all over the show.
- The locker room bullying scene in episode 2 was especially bad. There is some version of that scene in every underdog/nerd highschool movie.

-The naysaying serious friend/goofy friend combo

There have been some unique things I appreciated:

- the friend who can't read
- the bully theater kids
- the absentee father being white

I watched all ten episodes in a row on a plane. The last three or four (I can't really remember where episodes ended) were really good I thought. It reminds me of a less good Sing Street which was one of my favorite movies last year.

Watched When We First Met, mostly because I'll watch anything Alexandra Daddario is in. Started pretty weak, got a little better, only had a few decent laughs, and had a predictable ending, but that said, it wasn't terrible. C+

that movie is goofy as hell but it's one of my wife's 'cult' faves from when she was a kid.

DB Sweeny is 1992's poor-man's Paul Rudd

I loved DB Sweeney as Shoeless Joe in Eight Men Out. My sister also loves The Cutting Edge.

Wife and I have binged The Handmaid's Tale over the weekend and the last few nights. Oof. Real light-hearted romp. I turned it into a personal drinking game -- drink whenever anyone cries.

Real thoughts are I liked it generally, but the circumstances of the world are so infuriating it's a tough watch.

Wife and I have binged The Handmaid's Tale over the weekend and the last few nights. Oof. Real light-hearted romp. I turned it into a personal drinking game -- drink whenever anyone cries.

Real thoughts are I liked it generally, but the circumstances of the world are so infuriating it's a tough watch.

Not on Netflix. Negrep.

Need some new stuff to watch. Need a movie that doesn't require subtitles and that would be fun to watch while stoned...Asking for a friend.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Need some new stuff to watch. Need a movie that doesn't require subtitles and that would be fun to watch while stoned...Asking for a friend.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Watch Batman Returns but pretend in your mind that the Penguin is Frank from Always Sunny on bath salts

Did anyone watch Imposters on Netflix? My wife finished the first season and is telling me I have to watch it but she doesn't always have the best taste in television.

Back