• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Pretty happy I discovered Letterkenny on Hulu. It’s a quirky Canadian show about boring small town life.

The pilot is a good choice. Of Mice and Lem is great too. I was thinking Bottom Bitch where Vic thinks he’s saving the prostitute but she was manipulating him the whole time.

Listened to The Watch episode where they discussed putting this list together, and they specifically said one of their number one feedback comments was that The Shield was overlooked. Then Sean Fennessey said no one in the office had it in their list, so perhaps that was an indicator that The Shield wasn't all that good. Meanwhile the list was put together by an office of 20 somethings who populated it with reality TV and game shows and also deliberately didn't put the best episodes of the best shows higher so more people would talk about it (which I guess they sucked me in on). Still, I'm quite certain The Shield is much better than at least 50% of the shows that did make the list. But that podcast also reminded me of the demographic writing whenever I'm reading an article on The Ringer.

The Shield was peak TV before peak TV. It belongs up there with The Sopranos. The show ended 10 years ago so I can understand how 20 somethings wouldn’t have seen it.

I just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It may have been mentioned on here before, but the first two eps are a good time anyway. Weird magic, early 19th century England war-time stuff. Funny so far, but has potential to get kind of creepy/mystical.

I just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It may have been mentioned on here before, but the first two eps are a good time anyway. Weird magic, early 19th century England war-time stuff. Funny so far, but has potential to get kind of creepy/mystical.

I have been reading the book off and on for two years. No idea why I’ve never just finished it, it’s pretty good.

The Shield remains a favorite of mine. Probably #2 behind Breaking Bad, but could be bumped by others depending on how they wrap up their series.

I finally caught the first ep of Handmaid's Tale. If all the other episodes are as heavy on the "stylistic" lens flares, then I'm going to be really annoyed.

Three eps into Jean-Claude Van Johnson. Really, really, really great idea for a show. Totally ridiculous. I'm liking it more the further I get into it. The fact that it's still the same horrible acting that we got from his movies makes it all the better. At 30 min, you've got nothing to lose.

I'm about halfway through QB1 on netflix and its pretty good stuff, but definitely a notch below Last Chance U. Tayvon Bowers is on season 1 and lets just say that so far....it looks like he has a lot of work to do. And that was before he tore his ACL. But I digress as this is the Pit and the netflix thread and not the Wake football thread.

I watched the first two episodes of "Who Is America" last night on Amazon-Showtime. It was ten times crazier than I expected. Some of the bits fall flat, but the ones you've heard about are insane.

definitely lost a lot of steam after the first two

they front-loaded the series for sure

I'm about halfway through QB1 on netflix and its pretty good stuff, but definitely a notch below Last Chance U. Tayvon Bowers is on season 1 and lets just say that so far....it looks like he has a lot of work to do. And that was before he tore his ACL. But I digress as this is the Pit and the netflix thread and not the Wake football thread.

My thoughts exactly. I know he is being compared to Fromm and Martell, but those other two QB's are light years ahead of him. They keep making excuses about how he lost his WR's but the only guys I saw getting recruited from there the year before were CB's. Bowers doesn't run well, he doesn't carry the team. Just alot of almosts.

The show isn't great. Fromm is straight country and Martell is as close to a villain as the show gets, but really no drama. I wish they had started it earlier to show what went into the decision for Martell to decommit from A&M, and about his parents moving the whole family so he could play HS football at Gorman.

Godless on Netflix was excellent. I like a good western and this one keeps you hooked the entire season. Jeff Daniels is an excellent bad guy. Highly recommend. I give it 5 out of 5 Top Hats.

All or Nothing with the All Blacks on Amazon Prime was ok. I probably liked it more than most having lived there, but the drama about who starts and who makes the team is intriguing.

Working my way through the first season of QB1 as well - Bowers does seem like a good kid and leader, but certainly not on the level of Fromm and Martell. The show itself is pretty bland, doesn't really have much of a point of view, just kinda followed these guys around for a few months, so when there is no narration or interview segments it doesn't really come together. Plus the handheld shots from the sidelines of all the games are terrible, and the games aren't really cut together very well to know what's going on.

They did seem to choose good personalities for the show though. Bowers is understated, Fromm is pretty traditional when you think of a stud QB from the south, and Martell is the cocky big headed star under the bright lights.

Godless on Netflix was excellent. I like a good western and this one keeps you hooked the entire season. Jeff Daniels is an excellent bad guy. Highly recommend. I give it 5 out of 5 Top Hats.

All or Nothing with the All Blacks on Amazon Prime was ok. I probably liked it more than most having lived there, but the drama about who starts and who makes the team is intriguing.

agreed. i watched Godless when it came out...very good.

Watched the San Junipero and USS Callister episodes of Black Mirror. As good as advertised. Watching them back to back kind of takes away some of the twist though.

Watched the Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld specials. I like Seinfeld and Comedians in Cars much better than his standup. I've never been big on his standup. Rock was solid, but not as good as his prime. Lots of old guy takes. The audience was very young. You could tell when his "big piece of chicken" callback didn't get a huge laugh. I thought about their complains about college crowds. They're just old comedians who don't mesh as well with young audiences. It is what it is.

Have not ventured into the specific thread but I finally had time to check out Atlanta on hulu. Have an episode or two left in s1 and it's as good as advertised.

I liked the new Chappelle Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee because they went to the diner in DC my wife and I used to frequent, called appropriately enough, The Diner. I knew he was from there, but had no idea Chappelle had a reasonably nice upbringing in DC.

I liked the new Chappelle Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee because they went to the diner in DC my wife and I used to frequent, called appropriately enough, The Diner. I knew he was from there, but had no idea Chappelle had a reasonably nice upbringing in DC.

Right up the street from me. I remember the day they filmed it POPville got word and tweeted and apparently people showed up outside en masse.

Right up the street from me. I remember the day they filmed it POPville got word and tweeted and apparently people showed up outside en masse.

yep...I think we used to live quite close to one another. they also filmed parts of Snowden at Tryst because that's where the actual Snowden went with his gf

Ricky Gervais - Humanity is the best standup on Netflix right now.

Back