• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I've somehow never been able to finish the book, which is weird to me. I don't dislike it when I try; same thing happened with his second novel, Something Happened, so maybe it's just Heller. I can't quite explain it, oh well.

Either of you seen the Mike Nichols directed one with Alan Arkin?

I read the book just to watch the show, so it's disappointing that it doesn't translate, but I get it. I think the biggest problem with the book is how schizophrenic it is, even if by design. It bounces around with no real plot devices to tie it all together, but is enjoyable for the entire ride. Brilliant dialogue, but I constantly found myself wondering wtf exactly was going on. It reminded me a lot of "A Confederacy of Dunces".

Last edited:
I've somehow never been able to finish the book, which is weird to me. I don't dislike it when I try; same thing happened with his second novel, Something Happened, so maybe it's just Heller. I can't quite explain it, oh well.

Either of you seen the Mike Nichols directed one with Alan Arkin?

man, same

one of the few books I've started and never finished

FWIW, the show is getting generally positive critical reviews

Last edited:
I read the book just to watch the show, so it's disappointing that it doesn't translate, but I get it. I think the biggest problem with the book is how schizophrenic it is, even if by design. It bounces around with no real plot devices to tie it all together, but is enjoyable for the entire ride. Brilliant dialogue, but I constantly found myself wondering wtf exactly was going on. It reminded me a lot of "A Confederacy of Dunces".

I couldn’t get with A Confederacy of Dunces, either. Weird.

Something Happened was definitely so neurotic that it started to make me kind of anxious reading it, even though I was liking it more than Catch-22.

Anyway, maybe I’ll try to check both the Catch-22 adaptations and get back into the book one of these days.

man, same

one of the few books I've started and never finished

FWIW, the show is getting generally positive critical reviews

Heard good things about Kyle Chandler in it, at least.

Catch-22 is unique to me because I have tried multiple times. I guess that just happens sometimes, but yeah, I’ll usually make it through anything.

Easy Season 3 (last season) up on Netflix

The bar scene in episode 5 is pretty great, especially since the dialogue is all unscripted

I also could not finish Catch-22.

Also didn't like Confederacy of Dunces all that much.

I am in agreement with you on this.

And shame on you folks for not knowing Linda Cardellini's name. I'm not surprised at all she was smokin' in a bikini, she's gorgeous and a treasure.

One episode into Dead to Me. I would very much like to have sexual relations with Linda Cardellini. That's no different than after the first time I saw Freaks and Geeks though.

I still believe the above after watching the whole show. Cool to see an old friend directed two eps so I’m two degrees away from Linda Cardellini.

Last edited:
Watched Hanna on Prime. Flat acting (some of it due to non-native English speakers having to speak English), decent action sequences, dumb subplots. Some deviations from the also-mediocre movie, at least from what I can recall of it. Kill time with it if you are in the mood for shooting and fighting, otherwise don’t.

Anyone seen the Lonely Island short Bash Brothers? Looks pretty funny.

I just started Good Omens on Prime. I really like it so far.

I couldn’t get with A Confederacy of Dunces, either. Weird.

Something Happened was definitely so neurotic that it started to make me kind of anxious reading it, even though I was liking it more than Catch-22.

Anyway, maybe I’ll try to check both the Catch-22 adaptations and get back into the book one of these days.

weird - one of my best friends loves confederacy of dunces so much and i have tried to read it like 4-5 times and just don't get it

maybe i'm the dunce?

Anybody watch season 1 of Yellowstone? Season 2 comes out this month.

weird - one of my best friends loves confederacy of dunces so much and i have tried to read it like 4-5 times and just don't get it

maybe i'm the dunce?
Gotta read boethius to really get it, man

Back