• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

watched last night. i thought it was good. 3 1/2 hours is a bit much though.

Just watched it and my impressions are largely the same. Very good. Excellent at times. Too long. Nothing new from Scorsese, as he has mastered the genre.

Was not bothered by the de-aging stuff like I thought I’d be, probably because it didn’t really work. None of the dudes ever looked younger than their late 50s. One of the bad things about it though was that when young DeNiro is kicking the shit out of that grocer, he looks like an old man who could topple over if he doesn’t stomp just right. Old man strength doesn’t translate to old man fluidity of motion.

Just watched it and my impressions are largely the same. Very good. Excellent at times. Too long. Nothing new from Scorsese, as he has mastered the genre.

Was not bothered by the de-aging stuff like I thought I’d be, probably because it didn’t really work. None of the dudes ever looked younger than their late 50s. One of the bad things about it though was that when young DeNiro is kicking the shit out of that grocer, he looks like an old man who could topple over if he doesn’t stomp just right. Old man strength doesn’t translate to old man fluidity of motion.

yeah, lots of dollars down the drain for very little effect. couldnt someone just call up marvel and ask them how to do it?

yes, right on. i thought the same thing. the de-aging at times was fine...but in action shots and just the way he moved made DeNiro look old anyway. the action shots look awkward.

Agree on old Bobby D struggling to kick ass.

Pacino still looked too old, too.

Pesci was great.

Maybe they shoulda come full circle to Godfather II and had young guys play the young Deniro and Pacino parts

Pesci was great.

Plus there’s the whole fact that we know what young Bobby and Al actually looked like...

Pesci was great. A very un Pesci role, so I can see why he came out of retirement for it.

I'm in about the first 20 minutes of Irishman and the scene where he beats up a guy was sorta sad. Good movie so far, but just go all-in and mocap (which I assume is what they did) someone younger/more athletic for that.

I'm in about the first 20 minutes of Irishman and the scene where he beats up a guy was sorta sad. Good movie so far, but just go all-in and mocap (which I assume is what they did) someone younger/more athletic for that.

Ya, I may be the only person who didn´t love it. The whole movie was ``He said to tell you it is what it is´´ ``He said that to me, no one says that to me, you tell him I´ll say what it is´´ or some iteration of that. Also the age stuff that bugged me was having young actors playing old guys and old actors playing young guys. Definitely wasn´t scent of a woman or Heat level Pacino.

from what i now know about Hoffa, i thought Pacino was fine/pretty good. Hoffa must have been a Grade A dipshit.

They should've made Godfather 4 about the time after 3 up to his death.

Pesci was great.

i think that it would have been better served if the panned away and just left Bobby D kicking ass to your imagination and having sound and bystandards views, or something, then pan back when complete and see the aftermath. idk

it didn't look natural

on a rec from my sister, I checked out the this 'movies that made us" episode for Home Alone and it's actually pretty interesting. some wild, subtle stuff going on with that movie production

Watched a couple episodes of daybreak on netflix. Fun show so far.

Finally finished up Man in the High Castle. While this season was definitely the best since the first, the ending (final scene) made absolutely no sense. Up to that point, solid though.

Just started reading and watching The Expanse. I'm a little surprised it hasn't gotten more pub on here. I'm 2 seasons in (5th comes out on December 13th) and 3 books (the 8th came out earlier this year) in. The first season is definitely a lot of build up and can be a bit confusing at times, but they fixed both issues in season 2 as the show really finds its footing. The first 2 seasons aired on SyFy, but the last two, including the new season have been Amazon projects. Everyone I've talked to says that while the show was good on Syfy, it's even better now with the Amazon money, so I'm looking forward to catching up.

Just started reading and watching The Expanse. I'm a little surprised it hasn't gotten more pub on here. I'm 2 seasons in (5th comes out on December 13th) and 3 books (the 8th came out earlier this year) in. The first season is definitely a lot of build up and can be a bit confusing at times, but they fixed both issues in season 2 as the show really finds its footing. The first 2 seasons aired on SyFy, but the last two, including the new season have been Amazon projects. Everyone I've talked to says that while the show was good on Syfy, it's even better now with the Amazon money, so I'm looking forward to catching up.

I've brought up "The Expanse" before on this thread but hadn't gotten very far when I posted (in the midst of s1). I've now finished all 3 seasons and I love it. The world building is detailed and well thought out. The characters are well developed and there are more than a couple I'm always glad to see in a scene (especially Avasarala, who I wouldn't mind having a mini series of her own). I give it a bonus +1 for respecting real science as well.

It's season 4 that's coming out soon, btw, not 5.

Back